Learn Japanese with JapanesePod101.com

View topic - Dictionaries?

Dictionaries?

Have a textbook or grammar book that you find particularly helpful? What about a learning tip to share with others?

Dictionaries?

Postby Duality » Mon 06.23.2008 11:46 am

Hi people! Sorry for clogging up this forum with my threads, I'm nearly done.

I've essentially only just started studying the Japanese language and already I find myself wanting to look up a lot of words. So far I'm using fairly dodgy online services to do this and it's just not cutting it.

I've heard dictionaries are nearly essential for newbies but I can't find any guides for what to buy. So just a few questions...

1- What type of dictionary?
Do I get a Kanji dictionary or some other form of dictionary? I'm totally in the dark about this and I don't even understand the different types. I know that sounds amazingly stupid but I haven't started on Kanji yet and so the different varieties of dictionaries counfound me. Please help!

2- Do I go all out or stay simple?
I'm kind of expecting people to suggest buying a really good thick expensive one, but I've seen similar suggestions before and as a newbie the cash investment and information overload in these books is often too much for me. Any opinions?

3- Japanese-English, English-Japanese? Both? Wha?
Does this matter? I was thinking of going for both, or English-Japanese because how can I look up a Japanese word I don't know otherise? By knowing it first? If I knew it why would I look it up! XD Are the 'two way' dictionaries the best bet?

4- Any specific dictionary suggestions for beginners such as myself?
It's a good thing to ask. I'm a fan of books published by Kodansha personally because I've had good experiences with other smaller books from that publisher, how are they for dictionaries?
Duality

Re: Dictionaries?

Postby two_heads_talking » Mon 06.23.2008 1:52 pm

ok, you are new, so I won't be so blunt, but please, feel free to use the search functions..

a quick search of the word dictionary got me 3307 posts withing these forums..

http://www.thejapanesepage.com/forum/search.php

I will even be so kind as to pu the search link in here for you..

good luck.. if you don't find what you are looking for there, let us know..
two_heads_talking

Native language: English

Return to Learning Materials Reviews & Language Learning tips