Learn Japanese with JapanesePod101.com

View topic - Exchanging Money: Is this a good thing to do?

Exchanging Money: Is this a good thing to do?

Post questions and answers about living or visiting Japan or the culture

Re: Exchanging Money: Is this a good thing to do?

Postby becki_kanou » Wed 06.25.2008 10:18 pm

If you're going to be commuting basically between the same two stations everyday, you can buy a commuter pass. If you know the name of your local rail line and the two stations you'll be using, you should be able to look it up on line.

Edit:after checking JR
How is your Japanese? I just checked JR's website and the only detailed fare information they have in English is on the Shinkansen and various express trains. If you can read Japanese though, you can use this site to find the rates for a commuter pass (定期券) for JR east.
Ekinet
そうだ、嬉しいんだ、生きる喜び!
例え胸の傷が痛んでも。
becki_kanou

Skype chat: yes_becki
Native language: U.S. English, 米語

Postby ThePacster » Thu 06.26.2008 12:28 pm

becki_kanou wrote:If you're going to be commuting basically between the same two stations everyday, you can buy a commuter pass. If you know the name of your local rail line and the two stations you'll be using, you should be able to look it up on line.

Edit:after checking JR
How is your Japanese? I just checked JR's website and the only detailed fare information they have in English is on the Shinkansen and various express trains. If you can read Japanese though, you can use this site to find the rates for a commuter pass (定期券) for JR east.
Ekinet

^^; Why am I not surprised websites in english were going to be of no use to me. Everything I found online kept pointing me back to the expensive tourist Rail Passes when I was looking for information for commuting. Well my Japanese isn't very good yet, but I've sifted through Japanese websites once or twice. I'll take a look and see what I come up with. Thank you so much guys.
ThePacster

Postby Harisenbon » Thu 06.26.2008 10:04 pm

you can also use Yahoo's transit page http://transit.yahoo.co.jp/ To get the information between two stations.
At the top of each result, it will have the amount of the commuter pass dependent on Month.
For example, if I put in 大垣 and 名古屋 into it, I get:
[TIME] 30分(乗車30分)
[DIST] 距離:44km
[FARE] 運賃:片道740円
[PASS] 定期代:1か月21,550円 3か月61,410円 6か月105,840円
Want to learn Japanese the right way? How about for free?
Ippatsu // Japanesetesting.com
Harisenbon

Native language: (poor) English

Postby spin13 » Fri 06.27.2008 10:06 am

Harisenbon wrote:you can also use Yahoo's transit page http://transit.yahoo.co.jp/ To get the information between two stations.

Many sites (Yahoo!, Excite!, etc.) have these services. If it helps, here's one that uses English: Hyperdia. It does lack some of the features of most of the Japanese-language pages, though, such as Last Train.
You're probably not as smart as you think.
Unskilled and Unaware
spin13

Native language: English

Postby Harisenbon » Fri 06.27.2008 9:04 pm

spin13 wrote: It does lack some of the features of most of the Japanese-language pages, though, such as Last Train.

It also lacks the calculation of the price of a Teiki, which was why we were searching in the first place. ;) But yes, Hypedia is good for getting the cost between two stations in English.
Want to learn Japanese the right way? How about for free?
Ippatsu // Japanesetesting.com
Harisenbon

Native language: (poor) English

Previous

Return to Culture and Info about living in Japan