Learn Japanese with JapanesePod101.com

View topic - Questions

Questions

Have a textbook or grammar book that you find particularly helpful? What about a learning tip to share with others?

Questions

Postby leonl » Thu 06.26.2008 7:27 pm

Already posted this in the intro section but figured I should post here as well. The questions seem more relevant this forum anyway

I found this site while researching Japanese textbooks and seems to have an active community. Little bit about my Japanese knowledge, I started studying Japanese at my middleschool took two years. Then I took another year and half in highschool. Right now I'm taking an intensive introductory course at my college, most of it's mateterial I already know, but I need the credits. I come here because I need some opinions on the ultimate japanese series of books.They get some bad rep because they use romaji for the dialouges even in the advance levels. But I reason since I can already read hiragana and katakana and a very limited kanji that these books would be good for me. Any thoughts or advice on the direction I should take my studies in would be extremly appreciated. Thank you
How sweet life would be if korean in origin were playstation, anime and Wii
http://lang-8.com/92836
leonl

Native language: 英語

Re: Questions

Postby clay » Thu 06.26.2008 8:45 pm

No need to post twice. (see rules too)

Most people I believe read the Newest posts instead of lurking in specific areas:
http://www.thejapanesepage.com/forum/search.php?search_id=newposts
TheJapanShop.com- Japanese language learning materials
Checkout our iPhone apps: TheJapanesePage.com/iPhone
clay
Site Admin

Postby HungryScholar » Thu 06.26.2008 10:08 pm

I'd recommend finding a good medley of materials that are appropriate for your level. Some way into Genki I and the sequel, Genki II, should cover you gramatically. Genki also does a good job of introducing kanji. I'm afraid I can only speak for the Genki series - but when Genki is finished there is a follow-up intermediate text available too. So, three books, the first too tightly integrated, the third similar in style (good if you enjoy Genki's style.) But more than "ultimate text books" develop good and regular study habits. Nothing has held my Japanese back more than laziness and forgetfulness.
HungryScholar

Postby leonl » Thu 06.26.2008 10:37 pm

Thanks for the advice! Whats the name of this third genki book you mention
leonl

Postby AJBryant » Fri 06.27.2008 2:08 am

I would be willing to bet it's "Genki III."

Tony
AJBryant
Site Admin

Native language: English

Postby Wakannai » Fri 06.27.2008 2:24 am

Actually, though the third book is by the same publisher with much the same nomenclature, it is not designed as the third of the series. It is a stand alone book and is by different authors.

Genki: An integrated course in Elementary Japanese (1 and two)
An Integrated approach to Intermediate Japanese
Wakannai

Postby leonl » Fri 06.27.2008 3:04 pm

Thanks for the replies and advice. I decided to go with the genki series I'm going to purchase the first book and workbook and finish it from beginning to end, even though I probably only need to finish the second half. I have a friend who has the audio cds so I'm go going to borrow them from him. and when the time comes I'll get the second book. Thanks again
leonl

Return to Learning Materials Reviews & Language Learning tips