Learn Japanese with JapanesePod101.com

View topic - Cosplay in Japan

Cosplay in Japan

Post questions and answers about living or visiting Japan or the culture

Cosplay in Japan

Postby samuraidude123 » Sun 06.29.2008 1:48 am

I'm Japanese and i got to Japan every year, and i usually go to Fukushima. I don't see anyone cosplaying, so I'm wondering are most people in Japan as obssesed with anime as Americans or are Americans just too obessed?
samuraidude123

Re: Cosplay in Japan

Postby Wakannai » Sun 06.29.2008 2:56 am

err, I'm trying to understand why you expected some connection between cosplayers and fukushima.

Cosplayers generally are at anime conventions. It's not as if they populate a city. Same in the US, you see cosplayers mainly at conventions. The only time you can expect to see a cosplayer walking down the street in the US is Halloween or on the few days that there is an anime convention in the local area.

If you go to an anime convention in Japan, you will see more cosplayers than you can shake a stick at.
Wakannai

Postby samuraidude123 » Sun 06.29.2008 3:08 am

But theres alot of cosplayers in the city too. In the US, people who like anime cosplays all the time at school, and mall. And alot of times in Japan i see pics of Japanese people in Akibahara cosplaying. See theres a difference between Fukushima and Tokyo. Tokyo is a lot bigger and lively than Iwaki, Fukushima. And in Iwaki theres almost noone thats as obsessed with anime as the people who cosplays. So I'm just gonna need one question answered, how many of the people in Japan are as obsessed with anime like Americans who cosplays. And also what does the japanese people in Japan think about cosplaying?
samuraidude123

Postby becki_kanou » Sun 06.29.2008 3:24 am

Sorry to burst your bubble,but most Japanese think cos-play is just as weird and geeky as most Americans do. To the average Japanese person, cos-player =otaku (which has rather negative conotations).

Which is not to say that there aren't any Japanese cos-players, there are plenty, and you'll find them in the places already mentioned; Akihabara (and possibly other geeky gathering places) and of course at anime conventions. But it's not something, on the whole, that most Japanese are interested in.

But hey, you like what you like and if cosplaying is your thing, then go for it. Just don't expect Japan to be some kind of magical cos-play paradise.
そうだ、嬉しいんだ、生きる喜び!
例え胸の傷が痛んでも。
becki_kanou

Skype chat: yes_becki
Native language: U.S. English, 米語

Postby samuraidude123 » Sun 06.29.2008 4:21 am

becki_kanou wrote:Sorry to burst your bubble,but most Japanese think cos-play is just as weird and geeky as most Americans do. To the average Japanese person, cos-player =otaku (which has rather negative conotations).

Which is not to say that there aren't any Japanese cos-players, there are plenty, and you'll find them in the places already mentioned; Akihabara (and possibly other geeky gathering places) and of course at anime conventions. But it's not something, on the whole, that most Japanese are interested in.

But hey, you like what you like and if cosplaying is your thing, then go for it. Just don't expect Japan to be some kind of magical cos-play paradise.

Good becuase all of my freinds in the US think it is. Actually I think cosplay is wierd and geeky too (especially when it happens in the US), and I was just wonderin if other japanese ppl also think the same. But I guess it's kool since ppl who do it enjoy it, and they're showin who they are. Thanks for the post!
samuraidude123

Postby Yudan Taiteki » Sun 06.29.2008 11:15 am

In general, you should not expect attitudes towards anime to be any different in Japan than they are in the US. Manga has a bit more respectability, but in most people's minds it doesn't rise above the level of escapist trash.
-Chris Kern
Yudan Taiteki

Native language: English

Postby AJBryant » Sun 06.29.2008 12:29 pm

samuraidude123 wrote:But I guess it's kool since ppl who do it enjoy it, and they're showin who they are.

You know, that is not ALWAYS a good thing.

Tony
AJBryant
Site Admin

Postby two_heads_talking » Tue 07.08.2008 10:05 am

AJBryant wrote:
samuraidude123 wrote:But I guess it's kool since ppl who do it enjoy it, and they're showin who they are.

Tony

speaking of good things.. Tony, I have an outstanding pm I sent you (quite awhile ago) that is in my outbox.. would you take a gander and get back with me please?
two_heads_talking

Postby AJBryant » Tue 07.08.2008 2:11 pm

Done, and done!

Tony
AJBryant
Site Admin

Postby two_heads_talking » Tue 07.08.2008 2:27 pm

AJBryant wrote:Done, and done!

Tony

thank you very much..
two_heads_talking

Postby keatonatron » Sun 07.13.2008 10:52 am

AJBryant wrote:

Tony

Wouldn't you say they're showing who they want to be?

That is, if they were to live in a universe of escapist trash.
keatonatron

Postby Wakannai » Mon 07.14.2008 11:46 pm

Well, I'm as fine with Cosplay as I am with dressing up for halloween. It's cool to do now and again, and I actually respect people with the really elaborate outfits.

It's just an extension of dress-up. But then again, cosplay all the time is like walking around in a witch outfit everyday.
Wakannai

Postby two_heads_talking » Tue 07.15.2008 8:51 am

Wakannai wrote:Well, I'm as fine with Cosplay as I am with dressing up for halloween. It's cool to do now and again, and I actually respect people with the really elaborate outfits.

It's just an extension of dress-up. But then again, cosplay all the time is like walking around in a witch outfit everyday.

IIRC there are certain downtown areas where Cosplay outfits are the norm. I think Harajuku is one of those areas. (although I could be mistaken)

I tend to agree with Wakannai in that if someone wants to dress up for "special" occassions, then who am I to judge. However, when they start showing up at work that way, then I have to draw the line.

And even with what I said above, there are certain outfits that don't belong in the general public consumption. Those outfits, should be reserved for the appropriate areas with the appropriate people.

conventions where tons of people gather would be themost appropriate place for most of this dress up behavior.

Think Trekkies showing up at your regular business arena. they would definately get some unapproving looks, but if they show up at a Trekkon or other scifi convention, the looks, might not all be approving, but at least they outfits would be expected.
two_heads_talking

Return to Culture and Info about living in Japan