Learn Japanese with JapanesePod101.com

View topic - English Jobs or Companies In Japan

English Jobs or Companies In Japan

Post questions and answers about living or visiting Japan or the culture

Re: English Jobs or Companies In Japan

Postby GuitarMan8675309 » Thu 06.26.2008 4:39 pm

So, lol anyone have any first hand experience with living in Japan, and jobs?
GuitarMan8675309

Postby AJBryant » Thu 06.26.2008 8:48 pm

Many of us do.

Tony
AJBryant
Site Admin

Native language: English

Postby Harisenbon » Thu 06.26.2008 10:15 pm

Yes.

Next question.
Want to learn Japanese the right way? How about for free?
Ippatsu // Japanesetesting.com
Harisenbon

Native language: (poor) English

Postby becki_kanou » Thu 06.26.2008 10:20 pm

What exactly do you want to do?
Teaching English is probably the main starter job for people wanting to go Japan, so you may want to look into that.
そうだ、嬉しいんだ、生きる喜び!
例え胸の傷が痛んでも。
becki_kanou

Skype chat: yes_becki
Native language: U.S. English, 米語

Postby richvh » Thu 06.26.2008 10:37 pm

When I was in Japan, I was working for what is almost certainly the largest employer of Americans in Japan. However, that isn't a career path that usually leads to a long term stay in Japan after your tour of duty.
Richard VanHouten
ゆきの物語
richvh

Postby zanazibar » Sun 06.29.2008 11:27 am

I don't have any personal experience with the JET program, but that's the one I'm trying out for this year (I'll graduate in May). It's basically one of the most accessible programs for people with little or no Japanese language skills and little or no professional experience. Other than that, I'm sorry I can't help you. I haven't looked up other programs or initiatives since I was pretty set on that one. I still say, give the JET program a chance. If you get accepted but are not offered a position in Tokyo like you want, you can always turn down the offer (location and things like that are in the website's FAQ).
Caminante no hay camino, se hace camino al andar.
zanazibar

Postby Mike Cash » Sun 06.29.2008 11:32 am

GuitarMan8675309 wrote:So, lol anyone have any first hand experience with living in Japan, and jobs?

lol omg yes lol roflmao many of us (wtf?) do lol!!!!

Let's leave extraneous chatspeak acronyms for the chatrooms and teenyboppers, shall we?
Never underestimate my capacity for pettiness.
Mike Cash

Postby GuitarMan8675309 » Sun 06.29.2008 8:39 pm

So, I am majoring in Business Administration. What I would like to know is are their many American companies that are located within Japan. I want to live there and I am looking for the right path. Can anyone point me in the right direction? Does anyone have any experience with in them? Can you name a few? Business Administration deals with the following jobs.

Accountants and auditors
Insurance sales agents
Real estate brokers
Sales managers
Loan officers
Medical and health services managers
Financial analysts
Marketing managers
Personal financial advisors
Human resource managers
Wholesale and retail buyers
Real estate sales agents
Advertising and promotions managers
Budget analysts
Public relations managers
Loan counselor

If you guys have any companies in mind that are over seas. Jot them down here. I am lookign to live long term in Japan, and I am learning the language at the moment but when I get there I won't be fluent so I won't be able to work in a Japanese Company. Any information would be great thanks.
Last edited by GuitarMan8675309 on Sun 06.29.2008 8:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
GuitarMan8675309

Postby chikara » Sun 06.29.2008 8:50 pm

GuitarMan8675309 wrote:....... I am lookign to live long term in Japan, and I am learning the language at the moment but when I get there I won't be fluent so I won't be able to work in a Japanese Company. ......

Who do you believe are the customers of American (British, Australian, New Zealand, Canadian for that matter) companies operating in Japan?
Don't complain to me that people kick you when you're down. It's your own fault for lying there
chikara

Native language: English (Australian)

Postby GuitarMan8675309 » Sun 06.29.2008 8:56 pm

chikara wrote:
GuitarMan8675309 wrote:....... I am lookign to live long term in Japan, and I am learning the language at the moment but when I get there I won't be fluent so I won't be able to work in a Japanese Company. ......

Who do you believe are the customers of American (British, Australian, New Zealand, Canadian for that matter) companies operating in Japan?

What do you mean by what you said? Did you mean that their probably won't be as many American companies so it would be harder? I agree if that's what you mean.
GuitarMan8675309

Postby becki_kanou » Sun 06.29.2008 8:59 pm

I think he meant that the customers of any company in Japan are, by default, mainly Japanese, and therefore the requirement for Japanese knowledge is the same.

Please correct me if I'm wrong, Chikara.
そうだ、嬉しいんだ、生きる喜び!
例え胸の傷が痛んでも。
becki_kanou

Skype chat: yes_becki
Native language: U.S. English, 米語

Postby chikara » Sun 06.29.2008 9:08 pm

That is exactly what I meant.
Don't complain to me that people kick you when you're down. It's your own fault for lying there
chikara

Postby GuitarMan8675309 » Sun 06.29.2008 9:09 pm

OK. Thanks :!: So, when I get my Degree and I am applying there what's the most important things I should be prepared for at the job I want (Interview). I am learning from this site. Almost got ひらがな learned. I know they want me to be speaking japanese, will they have any english people there? probably not? I am worried I won't be that good at Japanese even if I learn here in the U.S.

Thank you again for your comments and help!
I can't express that enough!
GuitarMan8675309

Postby chikara » Sun 06.29.2008 9:58 pm

GuitarMan8675309 wrote:...... I am worried I won't be that good at Japanese even if I learn here in the U.S. .......

I don't mean to put down the standard of Japanese teaching in the USA but it will be very difficult for you to achieve a level of Japanese proficiency sufficient to secure most jobs in Japan if your only learning is in the USA.

As others have said teaching English in Japan is probably your best bet. While this will not make use of your degree in Business Administration it is certainly a viable option to enable you to live in Japan for a period of 12 months or so and to work on your Japanese ability. This may help you reach a level of Japanese proficiency that will enable to secure a job in your chosen field.
chikara

Postby AJBryant » Sun 06.29.2008 10:43 pm

chikara wrote:As others have said teaching English in Japan is probably your best bet. While this will not make use of your degree in Business Administration it is certainly a viable option to enable you to live in Japan for a period of 12 months or so and to work on your Japanese ability. This may help you reach a level of Japanese proficiency that will enable to secure a job in your chosen field.

QFT.

And if any employer in Japan asks why you took a year off post-degree to teach English rather than try to find something in your field, just TELL them that it was a low-energy job that would allow you to expend your energies in learning the language and acclimating to Japan. Only be sure you actually DID learn the lingo before trying that one.

Tony
AJBryant
Site Admin

PreviousNext

Return to Culture and Info about living in Japan