Learn Japanese with JapanesePod101.com

View topic - Female First-Person Pronoun

Female First-Person Pronoun

Japanese, general discussion on the language

Female First-Person Pronoun

Postby KuzioKuzbucket » Sun 06.29.2008 7:43 pm

Hi Everyone,

I want to write short stories to practise my Japanese. One of my main characters is a heterosexual female in her early twenties. She's a travelling adventurer with a very brash, tom-boyish and somewhat violent personality (although she's not the type to scream "girl power" every five minutes).

My question is, what first-person pronoun should she use in casual situations? Atashi sounds way too feminine for her personality. I've heard that some Japanese girls use 'boku', but I don't want her to sound like a ten-year old. Would ore be overly masculine for her? I guess I could use watashi, but in my (limited) anime/manga experience, that seems to come off as feminine in casual situations.

By the way, I'm going for standard (Tokyo) dialect here, since I know nothing about other Japanese dialects (not even the ever-present Osaka-ben!).

The Kuzbucket[*]
Chronic Foot-In-Mouth Syndrome
KuzioKuzbucket

Re: Female First-Person Pronoun

Postby becki_kanou » Sun 06.29.2008 8:39 pm

Despite what you may have have seen in anime/ manga, the great majority of Japanese women use watashi or atashi (some Kansai women use uchi).

Stick with the basics first. You don't want to get into bad habits you'll have to unlearn later.
そうだ、嬉しいんだ、生きる喜び!
例え胸の傷が痛んでも。
becki_kanou

Skype chat: yes_becki
Native language: U.S. English, 米語

Return to Japanese General Discussion