Learn Japanese with JapanesePod101.com

View topic - English Jobs or Companies In Japan

English Jobs or Companies In Japan

Post questions and answers about living or visiting Japan or the culture

Re: English Jobs or Companies In Japan

Postby GuitarMan8675309 » Sun 06.29.2008 11:02 pm

AJBryant wrote:
chikara wrote:As others have said teaching English in Japan is probably your best bet. While this will not make use of your degree in Business Administration it is certainly a viable option to enable you to live in Japan for a period of 12 months or so and to work on your Japanese ability. This may help you reach a level of Japanese proficiency that will enable to secure a job in your chosen field.

QFT.

And if any employer in Japan asks why you took a year off post-degree to teach English rather than try to find something in your field, just TELL them that it was a low-energy job that would allow you to expend your energies in learning the language and acclimating to Japan. Only be sure you actually DID learn the lingo before trying that one.

Tony

I really appreicate everything. I was looking into Rosetta Stone is that worth my money? You think it will prepare me for the Japan trip after I graduate?
GuitarMan8675309

Postby chikara » Sun 06.29.2008 11:16 pm

GuitarMan8675309 wrote:....... I was looking into Rosetta Stone is that worth my money? You think it will prepare me for the Japan trip after I graduate?

There has been a number of threads on Rosetta Stone over the years. Use the search function and you should find some.

Personally I am not a fan of Rosetta Stone.
Don't complain to me that people kick you when you're down. It's your own fault for lying there
chikara

Native language: English (Australian)

Postby GuitarMan8675309 » Sun 06.29.2008 11:21 pm

Ok Thanks, I'll try and think of some more questions. Thanks for your time :) Anything else please post it. My heart is set on doing some of this stuff. So, any other advice post it here.

Thank you again!
GuitarMan8675309

Postby Mike Cash » Mon 06.30.2008 7:45 am

AJBryant wrote:
And if any employer in Japan asks why you took a year off post-degree to teach English rather than try to find something in your field, just TELL them that it was a low-energy job that would allow you to expend your energies in learning the language and acclimating to Japan. Only be sure you actually DID learn the lingo before trying that one.

Tony

There must be some Eikaiwa teachers who actually managed to dedicate themselves and actually achieve some degree of proficiency in Japanese....mustn't there? Can't recall ever having actually met any, but they must be out there....somewhere.
Never underestimate my capacity for pettiness.
Mike Cash

Native language: English

Postby AJBryant » Mon 06.30.2008 11:40 am

Mike Cash wrote:There must be some Eikaiwa teachers who actually managed to dedicate themselves and actually achieve some degree of proficiency in Japanese....mustn't there? Can't recall ever having actually met any, but they must be out there....somewhere.

I visited some friends last time I was in Dai Nippon. One was doing the English teaching thing, and had been in Japan since around 89 or 90, and this was in 98. Couldn't even order demae. So our experiences are pretty much on par, Mike.

Tony
AJBryant
Site Admin

Postby becki_kanou » Mon 06.30.2008 12:19 pm

Mike Cash wrote:There must be some Eikaiwa teachers who actually managed to dedicate themselves and actually achieve some degree of proficiency in Japanese....mustn't there? Can't recall ever having actually met any, but they must be out there....somewhere.

I'm an eikaiwa teacher and I got my JLPT 1 several years back (for what it's worth). Although I'll have to agree that most of the other eikaiwa teachers I've met can't speak worth a damn, I have met some who were quite proficient.
そうだ、嬉しいんだ、生きる喜び!
例え胸の傷が痛んでも。
becki_kanou

Skype chat: yes_becki
Native language: U.S. English, 米語

Postby AJBryant » Mon 06.30.2008 12:28 pm

To be fair, there are generally two classes (heh) of Eikawa sensei.

One is interested in raking in the bux and living in Japan. These guys often come because they like anime or manga, and really have no deisre to "fit in" -- they just want to live their dream in Japan (be it an otaku dream or something else). They never really seem to get beyond the most rudimentary Japanese because all their friends are OTHER Eikaiwa teachers or expats.

One actually is interested in Living. In. Japan. The latter type actually manages to become a part of the greater Japanese society, having Japanese friends, often marrying an IP, sometimes joining the neighborhood committee, being known to the local cops and shopowners -- basically becoming "one of the locals" (albeit a foreigner).

Sadly, so many of the ones I saw were in the first category. Perhaps that's because I lived in Tokyo, where it's easier to survive without knowing the lingo.

Tony
AJBryant
Site Admin

Postby becki_kanou » Mon 06.30.2008 12:32 pm

AJBryant wrote:To be fair, there are generally two classes (heh) of Eikawa sensei.

One is interested in raking in the bux and living in Japan. These guys often come because they like anime or manga, and really have no deisre to "fit in" -- they just want to live their dream in Japan (be it an otaku dream or something else). They never really seem to get beyond the most rudimentary Japanese because all their friends are OTHER Eikaiwa teachers or expats.

One actually is interested in Living. In. Japan. The latter type actually manages to become a part of the greater Japanese society, having Japanese friends, often marrying an IP, sometimes joining the neighborhood committee, being known to the local cops and shopowners -- basically becoming "one of the locals" (albeit a foreigner).

Sadly, so many of the ones I saw were in the first category. Perhaps that's because I lived in Tokyo, where it's easier to survive without knowing the lingo.

Tony

You're absolutely right, I've had the same basic experience, but maybe living in the (relative to Tokyo anyway) countryside I've seen a greater number of the second class.

What by the way is an IP? An Interesting Person?
そうだ、嬉しいんだ、生きる喜び!
例え胸の傷が痛んでも。
becki_kanou

Postby Yudan Taiteki » Mon 06.30.2008 12:32 pm

Mike Cash wrote:
There must be some Eikaiwa teachers who actually managed to dedicate themselves and actually achieve some degree of proficiency in Japanese....mustn't there? Can't recall ever having actually met any, but they must be out there....somewhere.

I increased my language level significantly during the time I did JET, but to be fair, I had already been studying for 4 years when I went there.
-Chris Kern
Yudan Taiteki

Postby AJBryant » Mon 06.30.2008 1:47 pm

becki_kanou wrote:What by the way is an IP? An Interesting Person?

Oh, sorry. "Indigenous Populant." A local.

Tony
AJBryant
Site Admin

Postby becki_kanou » Mon 06.30.2008 10:51 pm

AJBryant wrote:
becki_kanou wrote:What by the way is an IP? An Interesting Person?

Oh, sorry. "Indigenous Populant." A local.

Indeed. I thought as much from the context, but I was unfamiliar with that particular initialism.

Thanks!
そうだ、嬉しいんだ、生きる喜び!
例え胸の傷が痛んでも。
becki_kanou

Postby Harisenbon » Mon 06.30.2008 11:54 pm

becki_kanou wrote:Indeed. I thought as much from the context, but I was unfamiliar with that particular initialism.

I instantly thought "Internet Protocol"...
I think I should give up and admit at what a huge geek I am.

And yes, I know very few Eikaiwa teachers or JETs who I would consider "good" at Japanese, although I do know a handfull.
The problem is that when you're an AET or whatnot and you're surrounded by people who don't speak Japanese, ANY amount of Japanese is seen to be amazing. What people don't relize is that to determine your Japanese proficiency, you can't compare yourself against other foreigners, you have to compare yourself against other Japanese.

I was at a party with some other foreigners one time and everyone was gushing about this one guy, "oh John is the best in Japanese out of all of us, he's practically fluent!"

At which point I discovered that practically fluent means 3級 and being able to say あの and えと at the right moments. :roll:
Want to learn Japanese the right way? How about for free?
Ippatsu // Japanesetesting.com
Harisenbon

Native language: (poor) English

Postby chikara » Tue 07.01.2008 12:28 am

Harisenbon wrote:I instantly thought "Internet Protocol"...
I think I should give up and admit at what a huge geek I am........

Usually I would also take IP to be "Intenet Protocol" but in the context of Tony-san's post I took it to be "Indigenous Person" which is a term quite commonly used in this country.

Context is everything. :)

I must admit I find it surprising that so many eiwakai sensei know so little Japanese or make no attempt to learn other than the very basics but then I have met people that have holidayed in Japan for weeks yet never eaten Japanese food.
Don't complain to me that people kick you when you're down. It's your own fault for lying there
chikara

Native language: English (Australian)

Postby Yudan Taiteki » Sat 07.05.2008 11:49 pm

chikara wrote:I must admit I find it surprising that so many eiwakai sensei know so little Japanese or make no attempt to learn

Although to be fair, I can understand that studying outside of your job is not the most appealing thing to a lot of people, and Japanese is a difficult language. If you already have a support network that can enable you to get by with just simple memorized phrases, it's easy to fall into not learning anything beyond that. Especially when you're over there as an eikaiwa monkey with no firm plans to stay in the country more than a year or two.
-Chris Kern
Yudan Taiteki

Postby OitaFish » Sun 07.06.2008 5:09 am

GuitarMan8675309 wrote:when I get there I won't be fluent so I won't be able to work in a Japanese Company.

Don't limit yourself. I'm not fluent and I work for a Japanese company.

You should look at some websites that advertise jobs in Japan. I particularly like daijob.com because that is where I found my job but there are others.
OitaFish

PreviousNext

Return to Culture and Info about living in Japan