Learn Japanese with JapanesePod101.com

View topic - Poodles as pets

Poodles as pets

Post questions and answers about living or visiting Japan or the culture

RE: Poodles as pets

Postby two_heads_talking » Tue 05.01.2007 12:21 pm

MIke, how is the Japanese media discussing this? I can only imagine they are getting a little bit of a chuckle from it..
two_heads_talking

Native language: English

Postby Yudan Taiteki » Tue 05.01.2007 5:12 pm

Mike Cash wrote:
Just shows how Western society/media are preconditioned with absurd ideas about how bizarre/exotic Japan is.

People are gullible in general, but it seems that whenever it comes to anything that portrays Japan as bizarre (and in particular, sexually deviant), it is immediately believed by people even if it completely contradicts logic. The Waiwai section of the Mainichi is particularly bad for vetting these myths.

The one that I'm tired of seeing over and over again is this idea that it's normal for Japanese moms to give their sons oral sex during exam study time to decrease their stress. This concept is so absurd that you would think nobody could possibly take it seriously, and yet it seems like every few months I see someone bring it up as an example of how "messed up" Japanese people are. It apparently originated from a Waiwai article that was taken at face value despite a complete lack of sourcing (and plausibility), but because it fit in with this idea of Japan being a bizarre place, it was accepted without question.
-Chris Kern
Yudan Taiteki

Postby lalaith » Tue 05.01.2007 5:22 pm

Yudan Taiteki wrote:
The one that I'm tired of seeing over and over again is this idea that it's normal for Japanese moms to give their sons oral sex during exam study time to decrease their stress.

Oh, ick. I'd never heard that before & I wish I hadn't heard it now.
(\__/) This is Bunny. Copy and paste
(='.'=) bunny into your signature to help
(")_(") him gain world domination.
lalaith

Postby Yudan Taiteki » Tue 05.01.2007 5:55 pm

Although it is somewhat disgusting, it's the best example I know of something that should be so ridiculous and absurd as to not fool anyone, and yet *is* believed by people because it fits in with their preconceived notions about Japan.
-Chris Kern
Yudan Taiteki

Postby tanuki » Tue 05.01.2007 6:03 pm

:o

Preposterous!
僕の下手な日本語を直してください。
tanuki

Postby doinkies » Wed 05.02.2007 1:30 am

I find it preposterous that there are actually doinks out there who think everything in WaiWai is real... :@ But since Mainichi never says that the WaiWai articles really come from tabloids, I suppose people think they are real news articles. -_-

Another thing WaiWai often does is post articles about some odd, weird or gross item or business and say that said item or business is "wildly popular" in Japan, but never actually give the numerical data to prove this claim. I suppose it's because if they did, then people would instantly see that their stories are nothing but exaggerations. ;)
あなたが好きだと言ったこの街並みが
今日も暮れてゆきます
広い空と遠くの山々 二人で歩いた街
夕日がきれいな街
-森高千里 「渡良瀬橋」
doinkies

Postby two_heads_talking » Wed 05.02.2007 9:40 am

Yudan Taiteki wrote:

The one that I'm tired of seeing over and over again is this idea that it's normal for Japanese moms to give their sons oral sex during exam study time to decrease their stress. This concept is so absurd that you would think nobody could possibly take it seriously, and yet it seems like every few months I see someone bring it up as an example of how "messed up" Japanese people are. It apparently originated from a Waiwai article that was taken at face value despite a complete lack of sourcing (and plausibility), but because it fit in with this idea of Japan being a bizarre place, it was accepted without question.

I had never heard that as Japanese, but I had heard it from nearly every other asian country.. mainly china, thailand and vietnam. I never much believed it, but figured it was one of the "urban legends" that just gets a face life depending on which race is used to fuel it..
two_heads_talking

Postby Mike Cash » Wed 05.02.2007 10:33 am

In case it isn't apparent....The Mainichi is a rag.
Never underestimate my capacity for pettiness.
Mike Cash

Re: Poodles as pets

Postby sunzoltar » Mon 06.30.2008 6:34 pm

It would be easy to label Mainichi as a rag, but then you would be glossing over the headline without learning much from it. Actually, Mainichi is one of Japan's oldest and most respected newspapers, with a subscriber base of over 4 million. (This compares to 1.1 million for the New York Times). Actually, Mainichi is generally known for its particularly dull and bland reporting on the news; the same problem that plagues most Japanese newspapers today in their race to gain market share by never offending.

Articles in the WaiWai section cite the weekly magazines, which are a mixture of high, middle, and low-brow news reporting that fills the void left by the blasé newspaper organizations. Every one of Japan's major newspapers owns or partially owns a weekly magazine (Yomiuri, Asahi, Mainichi, Nihon Keizai, and Sankei). While Westerners may be accustomed to the New York Times writing hard-hitting editorial pieces, the Atlantic Monthly writing literary pieces, and the Enquirer writing sensational stories, Japanese weekly magazines routinely combine all three genres in the same publication.

While it is unfortunate that the uninitiated may seize on the occasional WaiWai article and form a misguided generalization about Japan, blaming Mainichi for translating a small snippet of a much larger media genre, and demanding that the articles be censured, is a greater travesty yet. Lovers of a free and open press should encourage a broader translation of weekly magazines, not lessor--for it is only through the open exchange of ideas, showing warts and all, that we can truly form deep and meaningful understandings of ourselves and the societies around us.
sunzoltar

Postby AJBryant » Mon 06.30.2008 7:06 pm

Congratulations. A 13-month necropost.

I suggest strongly you lurk more before posting.

Tony
AJBryant
Site Admin

Postby chikara » Mon 06.30.2008 7:11 pm

AJBryant wrote:Congratulations. A 13-month necropost.....

やった!! :roll:

Maybe we should have a sticky thread somewhere which can only be updated by Admins which has a leader board of necroposts for all to see. There have been some real doosies over the past week.
Don't complain to me that people kick you when you're down. It's your own fault for lying there
chikara

Native language: English (Australian)

Re: RE: Poodles as pets

Postby TheIrishSin » Tue 09.02.2008 2:05 pm

tanuki wrote:Bah, I'd rather have a sheep anyway. I figure sheep are tastier than those posh poodles. :)

Kinda....scary...
TheIrishSin

Re: RE: Poodles as pets

Postby chikara » Wed 09.03.2008 2:32 am

TheIrishSin wrote:Kinda....scary...

This thread has had more come backs than Lazarus :roll:
Don't complain to me that people kick you when you're down. It's your own fault for lying there
chikara

Native language: English (Australian)

Postby doolittle » Tue 12.16.2008 5:43 pm

Are u serious they dont give oral? i been telling that story for years, lol
doolittle

Native language: english

Postby furrykef » Tue 12.16.2008 6:29 pm

That's a rather inauspicious first post if I ever saw one.
Founder of Learning Languages Through Video Games.
Also see my lang-8 journal, where you can help me practice Japanese (and Spanish, and Italian!)
furrykef

Native language: Eggo (ワッフル語の方言)

PreviousNext

Return to Culture and Info about living in Japan