Learn Japanese with JapanesePod101.com

View topic - WaiWai(Mainichi-Shinbun)'s Apology

WaiWai(Mainichi-Shinbun)'s Apology

Post questions and answers about living or visiting Japan or the culture

Re: WaiWai(Mainichi-Shinbun)'s Apology

Postby sunzoltar » Tue 07.01.2008 1:20 pm

AJBryant, of course I have read the thread; didn't connect your name to the earlier posting until you mentioned it.

I certainly am not on any sort of pro-Mainichi or WaiWai crusade. You'll notice that I criticize Mainichi as boring and the weeklies as sensational. I joined the discussion to try to bring in a little perspective, as everyone in the forum seemed to be focused exclusively on a few articles relating to sex and clamoring to see who could express the most indignation.

I believe we should always be wary of censorship, and this controversy could have been handled much better. Rather than shaming Mainichi into canceling the column, perhaps it could have been encouraged to create a unique space to explore a more in-depth look at the weeklies. Now, all that the self-appointed censors have accomplished is to shut down one of the few outlets letting Western audiences get a peak into the unvarnished world of Japanese mass-media.
sunzoltar

Postby two_heads_talking » Tue 07.01.2008 1:35 pm

sunzoltar wrote: Rather than shaming Mainichi into canceling the column, perhaps it could have been encouraged to create a unique space to explore a more in-depth look at the weeklies. Now, all that the self-appointed censors have accomplished is to shut down one of the few outlets letting Western audiences get a peak into the unvarnished world of Japanese mass-media.

Perhaps they didn't want to put forth the extra manhours (that they might already be strapped on) to create a unique space. It seems pretty obvious that the situation occured because no one or too few were in place to take notice, so suggesting they get more people to solicit to "less censorship" is just a bit self serving in my opinion.

Perhaps those interested should take it upon themselves to blog about it and bring light to it from another angle, rather than sit in the shadows and scream foul...
two_heads_talking

Native language: English

Postby sunzoltar » Tue 07.01.2008 3:28 pm

This is not about man-hour allocation; it's about a newspaper canceling a column due to protests by a group of self-appointed censors.

I am curious to hear from any regular readers of WaiWai who were disappointed to see the section cut--if you are willing to identify yourselves. I followed doinkies' suggestion above and checked out Japan Probe. There are a fair number of bloggers on their forum who offered a spirited defense of WaiWai. Is the readership of thejapanesepage really so monolithic that I am the only one disappointed to see the column booted out in this way?
sunzoltar

Postby two_heads_talking » Tue 07.01.2008 3:41 pm

sunzoltar wrote:This is not about man-hour allocation; it's about a newspaper canceling a column due to protests by a group of self-appointed censors.

I am curious to hear from any regular readers of WaiWai who were disappointed to see the section cut--if you are willing to identify yourselves. I followed doinkies' suggestion above and checked out Japan Probe. There are a fair number of bloggers on their forum who offered a spirited defense of WaiWai. Is the readership of thejapanesepage really so monolithic that I am the only one disappointed to see the column booted out in this way?

I don't read it, so I personally could care less what happens to it one way or the other. My suggestion was just that, a suggestion. If a column was cancelled due to enough protestors, perhaps it coould be reinstated by enough counterprotestors..

And to answer your question, perhaps you are in the minority. Is that such a bad thing?
two_heads_talking

Native language: English

Postby richvh » Tue 07.01.2008 3:45 pm

I don't know that we have that many people who read/have read WaiWai. We don't have that many ex-pats here, and those that are, are more interested in Japanese than in silly English translations of silly tabloid articles... the few times articles that may have originated at WaiWai have been linked here, they've been ridiculed and debunked.

So - in sum, most of us don't care. Even Tony, who helped originate the feature, doesn't care. Coco (a native Japanese) does care, but isn't on your side. So drop it. This forum isn't for issue advocacy - in fact, politics and religion are off topic. Either participate civilly in the forum in helping yourself and others learn Japanese, or take your campaign elsewhere. I don't know about Tony's smiting finger, but mine's getting itchy.
Richard VanHouten
ゆきの物語
richvh

Postby sunzoltar » Tue 07.01.2008 5:27 pm

If by "silly" you mean "a major part of Japanese media that is under-reported and little-understood in the West" I would have to agree with you.

And if by "most of us don't care" you are referring to the 834 views this forum has generated as of this moment, I would have to agree with you again.

By my count, all of my posts have related directly to the forum's topic, I have made no mention of religion or politics, and I have been civil to every poster with whom I have interacted.

日本語の勉強に関しましては出来る範囲ならお喜んでお手伝い致します。但し、「ワイワイ」のコラムでこの様な事を言われるとポイントがズレているような気がしますが、、、
ブログの世界では全くの初心者ですので、ルール違反の事をしてしまいましたなら深くお詫びいたします。
sunzoltar

Postby richvh » Tue 07.01.2008 6:21 pm

You may not have mentioned politics, but what you have been doing is politics - politicking in favor of an issue. You might notice that not one post - other than your own - in this thread has advocated your position.

This topic is locked.

日本語を勉強する者を手伝うと、よろしいですが、このように意見を他人に押してはいけません。
Richard VanHouten
ゆきの物語
richvh

Previous

Return to Culture and Info about living in Japan