Learn Japanese with JapanesePod101.com

View topic - Japanese Milk

Japanese Milk

Post questions and answers about living or visiting Japan or the culture

Re: Japanese Milk

Postby AJBryant » Wed 07.02.2008 1:19 pm

It's hyper-pasturized.

That is, it's treated at much higher temperatures than in the US, so it comes out tasting funky.
AJBryant
Site Admin

Native language: English

Postby chikara » Wed 07.02.2008 8:43 pm

ebear215 wrote:.... drinking nothing but 2% milk .....

What is the other 98% :?

ebear215 wrote: Now I'm wondering why they would want to raise the temperatures that high. Does it get rid of more of the germs or something?.....

Yes, pasteurisation does not kill all micro-organisms, that would be sterilisation. The higher the temperature the more micro-organisms are (theoretically) killed.
Don't complain to me that people kick you when you're down. It's your own fault for lying there
chikara

Native language: English (Australian)

Postby becki_kanou » Wed 07.02.2008 9:06 pm

Maybe I'm just used to Japanese milk after all these years, but it tastes fine to me.

Also I love, love, love the fact that you can still get milk delivered to your house in a glass bottle! I feel like a 50s housewife (in a good way) whenever the milkman comes to deliver my milk.
そうだ、嬉しいんだ、生きる喜び!
例え胸の傷が痛んでも。
becki_kanou

Skype chat: yes_becki
Native language: U.S. English, 米語

Postby Harisenbon » Wed 07.02.2008 9:55 pm

becki_kanou wrote:Maybe I'm just used to Japanese milk after all these years, but it tastes fine to me.

Same here, although I remember coming here when I was younger and feeling that the milk tasted weird.

While they have a bunch of hyper-pasteurized milk, there are also a few brands that have low-heat pasteurization. So instead of hitting the milk for 12 seconds at 200 (or whatever they cook it at) they do it for 8 minutes at 120. This supposedly results in the milk retaining more of the minerals than the standard way, while still killing the same amount of germs.

I had some milk when I went back to the states a couple of months ago, and I never realized how thin it is compared to Japanese milk. I felt like I was drinking water.
Want to learn Japanese the right way? How about for free?
Ippatsu // Japanesetesting.com
Harisenbon

Native language: (poor) English

Postby yukamina » Wed 07.02.2008 10:18 pm

Harisenbon wrote:I had some milk when I went back to the states a couple of months ago, and I never realized how thin it is compared to Japanese milk. I felt like I was drinking water.

Really? Are you sure it was US milk vs Japanese milk and not the percent? Like, skim milk, 1%, 2%, whole milk...etc.
I've never had Japanese milk...
yukamina

Postby becki_kanou » Wed 07.02.2008 10:50 pm

Harisenbon wrote:
becki_kanou wrote:Maybe I'm just used to Japanese milk after all these years, but it tastes fine to me.

Same here, although I remember coming here when I was younger and feeling that the milk tasted weird.

I had some milk when I went back to the states a couple of months ago, and I never realized how thin it is compared to Japanese milk. I felt like I was drinking water.

Ah... maybe that's it, I never really just drink a glass of milk. I usually just use it in coffee, cooking etc. I do love the availablity of drink yogurt, though. If I recall correctly, it was never all that popular in the States, but here I can get it any コンビニ.
そうだ、嬉しいんだ、生きる喜び!
例え胸の傷が痛んでも。
becki_kanou

Postby Harisenbon » Wed 07.02.2008 11:19 pm

yukamina wrote:Really? Are you sure it was US milk vs Japanese milk and not the percent? Like, skim milk, 1%, 2%, whole milk...etc.
I've never had Japanese milk...

Yes. Yes I am.
The whole milk that I was drinking in the states felt thinner and more watery than the milk I would drink in Japan.

If you've never had Japanese milk, why would you doubt the experience of someone who had? :wink:
Want to learn Japanese the right way? How about for free?
Ippatsu // Japanesetesting.com
Harisenbon

Native language: (poor) English

Postby two_heads_talking » Thu 07.03.2008 9:36 am

chikara wrote:
ebear215 wrote:.... drinking nothing but 2% milk .....

What is the other 98% :? .

you have that backwards.. 2% of the milk is milkfat, the rest is milk.. funny how people get confused with that.

From what I remember, japanese cows are fed a completely different diet than American cows and that also has a huge difference in the taste of the milk. I was also under the impression that most Japanese milk was somewhere in the range of 8% or 10% milkfat making it much more rich that the American counterparts.

When I was in Japan, the only way I could drink regular milk was if it was in a cereal bowl with cereal. I could only handle strawberry or chocolate milk on it's own. And milk was crazy expensive so, I usually avoided the extra cost and had powedered milk sent over from the US>
two_heads_talking

Postby Qaantar » Thu 07.03.2008 2:58 pm

So I guess I'm the only one that has ever used "half and half" for a bowl of cereal? :mrgreen:

I wouldn't recommend doing that too often. I haven't done it in years, and only then to finish off some stuff that was nearing its expiration date.

I always wondered about Japanese milk since I read "Yotsubato" where there were a couple of stories revolving around milk and the way the story went, it certainly seemed quite delicious. Now I'm even more curious to try some...
Qaantar

Postby Insomnia » Fri 07.11.2008 9:02 am

Hmm, during my stay there, the milk tasted fine to me.. :?
Insomnia

Postby Mike Cash » Fri 07.11.2008 9:18 pm

I am a lifelong milk hater, both U.S. and Japan, so I haven't spent much of my life browsing the milk section of supermarkets. My impression, however, is that Japan doesn't offer the same variety of different percentages of milkfat and whatnot as does the U.S. I believe that 3.8% is considered pretty typical for milk in Japan.

Japan Wikipedia on Milk
Never underestimate my capacity for pettiness.
Mike Cash

Postby Nateo » Sat 07.12.2008 2:31 pm

Same for France I believe.

I like that taste
Nateo

Postby keatonatron » Sun 07.13.2008 10:50 am

I happen to like Japanese milk a lot more than American milk. It tastes more "natural" to me, even if the exact opposite is true :D

The difference most likely boils down to taste (er, preference). If a Japanese person were to go to America and try some milk, they would probably think it tastes too rich and not like it.
keatonatron

Postby chikara » Thu 07.17.2008 12:44 am

ebear215 wrote:I just hope I can get used to the taste of milk in Japan because I practically live off milk! I guess I'll have to resort to drinking Quu or something :?

What type of Japanese drink is "Quu"? I can't recall ever coming across it.
Don't complain to me that people kick you when you're down. It's your own fault for lying there
chikara

Native language: English (Australian)

Postby becki_kanou » Thu 07.17.2008 1:11 am

chikara wrote:
ebear215 wrote:I just hope I can get used to the taste of milk in Japan because I practically live off milk! I guess I'll have to resort to drinking Quu or something :?

What type of Japanese drink is "Quu"? I can't recall ever coming across it.

Perhaps s/he is referring to Qoo? It's a fruit drink made by Coca-Cola Japan that comes in various flavors. My favorite is apple.

そうだ、嬉しいんだ、生きる喜び!
例え胸の傷が痛んでも。
becki_kanou

Next

Return to Culture and Info about living in Japan