Learn Japanese with JapanesePod101.com

View topic - Help improve my passage, please?

Help improve my passage, please?

Feel free to practice writing in Japanese or romaji. Help each other out with corrections or replying back in Japanese

Re: Help improve my passage, please?

Postby FlonneTheFallenAngel » Thu 07.03.2008 6:33 am

Wakannai wrote:Deleting a thread forces people to forget. That is the gun. If later someone attempts to search this thread out, they won't be able to find it. That is the threat.

To be honest, I don't really think that deleting a thread is an act which can be directly compared to regular conversation. It's something that just doesn't exist in regular conversation.
FlonneTheFallenAngel

Postby coco » Thu 07.03.2008 12:27 pm

richvh wrote:How about using a dictionary next time? Automatic translators should not be used to translate into a language other than your own for anything other than laughs. They should be used to translate into your own language only to get a rough idea of what is meant.

Are you sure that she used an automatic translator?
-----
FlonneTheFallenAngel -san, はじめまして。 :)
I am Japanese and can't write English correctly, but I want to say something to you. Please allow me to use my poor English.

I believe you made your Japanese compositions by yourself, because that didn't seem to be an output of Auto-translator.
I think you are doing well even though there were some mistakes. I mostly understand what you wanted to say. ( I hope my English is mostly understandable too.)
FlonneTheFallenAngel wrote:In any case, I handed in a final copy of my passages to my teacher, and he discovered a few mistakes that I have now corrected.

That's good. Please keep up your Japanese study. :)

Would it be possible to now get this topic deleted?

Technically, you can delete your image file and your comments. (Enter from the edit button on OP, then erase [img ] url.)
I am really sorry that TJP is not friendly. :|
coco

Native language: 日本語(Japanese)

Postby richvh » Thu 07.03.2008 1:51 pm

coco wrote:
richvh wrote:How about using a dictionary next time? Automatic translators should not be used to translate into a language other than your own for anything other than laughs. They should be used to translate into your own language only to get a rough idea of what is meant.

Are you sure that she used an automatic translator?

She said so herself:
It's just that at that point I couldn't be bothered trying to figure out the hiragana for them, after I got the words from Google Translate.

She used google translate as a substitute for a dictionary (though not as a composition tool - I did not accuse her of doing that.) There are plenty of online dictionaries available, and an automatic translator is a poor substitute for one, giving only one word for what you're looking up, and no indication of what sense of the word you're looking up is being translated.
Richard VanHouten
ゆきの物語
richvh

Postby FlonneTheFallenAngel » Thu 07.03.2008 2:11 pm

richvh wrote:There are plenty of online dictionaries available

To be honest, I hadn't actually thought of looking up a proper online dictionary.

Silly me.
FlonneTheFallenAngel

Postby AJBryant » Thu 07.03.2008 3:24 pm

FlonneTheFallenAngel wrote:To be honest, I hadn't actually thought of looking up a proper online dictionary.

AJBryant
Site Admin

Native language: English

Previous

Return to 日本語の練習 (Practice Japanese)