Learn Japanese with JapanesePod101.com

View topic - Anyone here practice Kendo?

Anyone here practice Kendo?

NO SPAM ALLOWED! Discuss stuff not related to Japan or Japanese. The rules are the same in this forum as in the other forums.

Anyone here practice Kendo?

Postby Ukeath » Tue 07.01.2008 8:41 pm

Any others do kendo here besides me? If so, how long have you been practicing?
Also what is your favorite kata? I would love to check out a dojo in Japan if i ever travel there.
Ukeath

Re: Anyone here practice Kendo?

Postby spin13 » Wed 07.02.2008 12:13 am

Well, I don't practice kendo, but I'm a member of the All Japan Kendo Federation. Does that count?

I practice iai and at least one of our other board members, Josh Reyer (Shirasagi), practices old school kendo. You're Shinkage Ryu, right, Josh? Eishin Ryu here.

-Eric
You're probably not as smart as you think.
Unskilled and Unaware
spin13

Native language: English

Postby two_heads_talking » Wed 07.02.2008 9:43 am

spin13 wrote:Well, I don't practice kendo, but I'm a member of the All Japan Kendo Federation. Does that count?

I practice iai and at least one of our other board members, Josh Reyer (Shirasagi), practices old school kendo. You're Shinkage Ryu, right, Josh? Eishin Ryu here.

-Eric

Eric, where did you find an instructor willing to teach Iaijutsu? I would assume you already had the Kendo rankings to enter? That's pretty slick..
two_heads_talking

Postby spin13 » Thu 07.03.2008 12:52 am

Learning koryu bujutsu (古流武術) is a lot less mysterious and secret than most people expect. The most difficult part is finding it and finding it close. After that it doesn't take much more than not being a dirtbag and some dedication. In my case, I happened to live close enough to NYC to find a legitimate dojo with connections to Japan.

After arriving in Japan to further my training, it took networking and connections, which shouldn't be surprising. Finding iai in Japan isn't very difficult either, certainly not in a large city. What was a little more difficult was finding my school in Tokyo (though our sister school is aplenty).

I have never even once practiced or studied kendo; I actually came from aikido.

-Eric
You're probably not as smart as you think.
Unskilled and Unaware
spin13

Postby Ukeath » Thu 07.03.2008 8:00 pm

Yeah I looked for Iai first but the closest place was Chicago. Thats really neat your in Japan learning it. :D
Ukeath

Postby Budonoseito » Mon 07.07.2008 5:07 pm

I practice Iaido/Iaijutsu. My Sensei wants us to start doing Kendo as well. It is just finding time to fit it all in.
Budonoseito

Postby two_heads_talking » Tue 07.08.2008 9:00 am

spin13 wrote:Learning koryu bujutsu (古流武術) is a lot less mysterious and secret than most people expect. The most difficult part is finding it and finding it close. After that it doesn't take much more than not being a dirtbag and some dedication. In my case, I happened to live close enough to NYC to find a legitimate dojo with connections to Japan.

After arriving in Japan to further my training, it took networking and connections, which shouldn't be surprising. Finding iai in Japan isn't very difficult either, certainly not in a large city. What was a little more difficult was finding my school in Tokyo (though our sister school is aplenty).

I have never even once practiced or studied kendo; I actually came from aikido.

-Eric

See, and here I thought you would be required to know how to do kendo .. I suppose there really isn't any correlation from drawing a sword and actually knowing how to fight with it, even though I would imagine it would come in handy to know what to do if the draw/cut doesn't put your foe down..
two_heads_talking

Return to General off topic