Learn Japanese with JapanesePod101.com

View topic - Problem with finding TJP (using IE)

Problem with finding TJP (using IE)

Spotted any errors or found anything that doesn't work?

Problem with finding TJP (using IE)

Postby ss » Sat 07.05.2008 4:05 am

Someone reported this problem in the other forum. She is also a member of TJP.

Has anyone else who is also a member on TJP had trouble finding it lately? I've been trying to get on the site for a couple of days now and my Internet Explorer says it can't find it. Does anyone know what's going on?

I would post a message on TJP if I could get on there!!!

I still can't acccess the site. The message i get is that "www.thejapanesepage.com is currently unavailable" whereas the message I previously was receiving was "Internet Explorer cannot open the internet site "

This late afternoon I tried with IE and couldn't get through either, but I could access the forum about an hour later.
Last edited by ss on Mon 07.07.2008 6:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ss

Native language: English speaking family

Re: Problem with finding TJP (using IE)

Postby clay » Sat 07.05.2008 8:25 am

The server may have been down for a while. I wasn't online today so I'm not sure.

When you say, 'finding TJP' you mean the site wasn't coming up at all and not just it not showing up in search results, right?
TheJapanShop.com- Japanese language learning materials
Checkout our iPhone apps: TheJapanesePage.com/iPhone
clay
Site Admin

Postby Tux » Sat 07.05.2008 1:03 pm

I have the same problem... sort of. When I try to get in on the front page the top banner shows up and shortly after I get a dialogbox with: "Internet explorer cannot open the Internet site http://www.thejapanesepage.com". When I close the dialogbox the topbanner dissapear and I get the same message directly in the browser. After trying to get in IE won't show me any other pages either so I have to close the window and start over again. It works if I use a link directly to the forum so it seems that there is something on the front page who crashes IE. It has been like this for a couple of days.

Tux
Tux

Postby ss » Sat 07.05.2008 8:18 pm

Clay, I wasn't aware of this problem until Sakura-san mentioned it in the other forum.

I tried searching for TJP again using IE, it showed up a number of pages in google as per normal (yesterday & today). However, I was having exactly the same problem (now) as Tux described. Problem with front page but strange that I could access the forum. (using IE to post now)

I'm trying to help Sakura since she can't access TJP, I'll copy & paste whatever response I can get here to the other forum, and see what s/he will come back with, later.

Sakura could access this old thread I linked to
http://www.thejapanesepage.com/forum/vi ... ?f=10&t=6432

Sakura wrote:
That link takes me to a really old thread - to the old TJP site with the red line at the top, saying moving to new server soon. Is that what it's supposed to be??

Clay, you know I'm poor in IT, but I just wanna help as much as I can. I'm just guessing, It does seem many people are having problem accessing TJP via IE since server moves. (Tanuki told me once, he was having many problems with his pc too). What could be the possible reasons behind?
Last edited by ss on Mon 07.07.2008 6:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ss

Postby Jetsi » Sun 07.06.2008 9:38 pm

I am having the exact same problems stated above. Today when I tried to get onto TJP I got the same error and dialog box but the top banner and links stayed instead of the whole page going 404. That is how I was able to access the forum today.

Best of luck on getting it fixed!
Insert some witty and relevant quip here.
Jetsi

Native language: English

Postby ss » Sun 07.06.2008 10:58 pm

It seems my IE sometimes can access the front page, sometimes can't. I've not a clue of what exactly the problems are with IE. But I'm not that much bothered since I can access TJP using Firefox. 8) :P

Anyway, sorry for the inconvenience, please give Clay and his technical team some time to look into the problems.

Add:
Message from Sakura:
It seems I'm not the only person having trouble. I tried to access it from a different computer today and had the same trouble. I haven't yet tried firefox as it's a shared computer and I haven't been able to ask permission yet!!

I can access the site it I use one of the direct links (like the ones previously posted in this thread, by, I think yourself and Papa) and have the exact same problem as Tux mentioned. But I am unable to login. I'm actually glad I'm not the only one having difficulty!
ss

Postby clay » Mon 07.07.2008 2:35 am

Ohh. I just tried it with IE and it gave that message for me too.

I'm sorry about this. I'll do some research...

EDIT: I haven't heard back from any smart people, but I just tried typing 'www.yahoo.com' and 'www.hotmail.com' into IE and they both also gave the error "www.yahoo.com is currently unavailable"

Can someone else who is having this trouble try typing in different sites? This may be a IE problem unrelated to TJP.
clay
Site Admin

Postby Tux » Mon 07.07.2008 3:19 am

Hi!

I have no problems opening either http://www.yahoo.com or http://www.hotmail.com with IE. The error when I try to open http://www.thejapanesepage.com has now changed some on both my private and work computer (Both WinXP). I get the top header and can navigate from there as Jetsi described. If I reload I get an error message and "The page cannot be displayed".

Tux
Tux

Postby clay » Mon 07.07.2008 4:52 am

There probably is some offending code that IE rejects. I will wait for Phreadom to wake up to take a look instead of me plundering through the code :?:

I'm not sure why Yahoo wouldn't pull up unless it was an aftertaste of having the TJP error.
clay
Site Admin

Postby clay » Mon 07.07.2008 6:14 am

Ok, I think it is fixed now. Could everyone give it a try with IE?

As much as I'd like to blame it on some nameless oni (or our own Oni), It was my fault. I forgot I had installed a tab panel for an upgrade I did. That is what messed up IE… (hazukashii)
clay
Site Admin

Postby jimbreen » Mon 07.07.2008 6:32 am

clay wrote:Ok, I think it is fixed now. Could everyone give it a try with IE?
As much as I'd like to blame it on some nameless oni (or our own Oni), It was my fault. I forgot I had installed a tab panel for an upgrade I did. That is what messed up IE… (hazukashii)

It loaded OK with IE7, but at the bottom IE reported "Done, but with errors on page.

The error report said: "Line 29, character 3, Error: 'document.getElementByld(...) is null or not an object.'

HTH

(I hasten to add that I only use IE for testing compatibility. I'm a Linux and Firefox user normally.)

Jim
jimbreen

Postby tōkai devotee » Mon 07.07.2008 6:43 am

It works fine for me now using IE. What a drama! Glad it's fixed!
tōkai devotee

Native language: Australian!

Postby clay » Mon 07.07.2008 7:39 am

Thanks! I'm VERY sorry for the trouble. I usually test with IE when I make changes, but I obviously didn't this time.

Code: Select all
The error report said: "Line 29, character 3, Error: 'document.getElementByld(...) is null or not an object.'

That I'm not sure about. It was actually there before but didn't seem to cause any real problems. I'll put it on the list, though.
clay
Site Admin

Postby Tux » Mon 07.07.2008 7:54 am

It works well for me now, Thanks!

Tux
Tux

Postby ss » Mon 07.07.2008 6:08 pm

Thanks Clay, it works well for me too.