Learn Japanese with JapanesePod101.com

View topic - needs some help with da and na...

needs some help with da and na...

Have a Question about some Grammar point? Share it with the world!

needs some help with da and na...

Postby tk101 » Thu 10.20.2005 7:35 pm

i often see da and na used in japanese but i have no clue what they mean...can anyone explain this?

also what does this mean...
un, ki-iroi wa suki da shi, furuino mo suki da yo
tk101

RE: needs some help with da and na...

Postby ryuubu » Thu 10.20.2005 9:27 pm

un, ki-iroi wa suki da shi, furuino mo suki da yo
うん、黄色いは好きだし、古いのも好きだよ。

= Yeah I like the yellow one and I also like the old one.

It seem's you're a beginner at Japanese, so you shouldn't worry to much about da and na.

But in any case, da is identified with the verb 'to be' and na can have a few meanings but can put emphasis on what was just said.
ryuubu

Postby mandolin » Thu 10.20.2005 10:52 pm

gah, I just responded to this same question. TK, DON'T make 2 threads on the same topic.. edit an old one.
mandolin

Postby tk101 » Fri 10.21.2005 4:50 pm

Ryuubu.... thanks for the explaination... but i 'm not a begineerin at japanese.
I have been learninf it for just about 2 years

sorry about making two topics... it was an accident
tk101

Postby mandolin » Sat 10.22.2005 1:20 am

Eeh.. length of time doesn't really make you less than a beginner. I've been at learning japanese for over 4 years now, and I am -still- a beginner. :P

"Da" is a very beginner concept. It is quite simply the plain form (dictionary form) of "desu".

"Na" (sometimes 'naa') at the end of a sentence is an emotion marker.

Na is like ne, except 'na' isn't really looking for agreement from anyone like 'ne' is. Often used when speaking to one's self (even if there's other people nearby). So... 'ne' wants a response, but 'na/naa' does not.

Like ryuubu said, it adds emphasis.. indicates a strong feeling. The 'aaa' sound gets stretched out longer the more emphatic the speaker is. :P

-----

A question of my own regarding that sentence...

What is the 'shi' in 'da shi'? Is it the suffix that pertains to some sort of order of things (next, last, etc). If so, does it modify the meaning any? What if the same sentence was said without 'shi'?

If someone could explain a bit.. thanks!
mandolin

Postby nprz » Sat 10.22.2005 3:06 am

~shi implies that there is more than whatever shi was attached to.
using that ex:
ki-iroi wa suki da shi, furuino mo suki da yo
I like the yellow one (and what's more), I like the old one as well.

Of course as with almost everything in Japanese, you don't need to add what is more, but that ~shi implies that there is more. It doesn't have to be only one thing that is more, you can tack on multiple ~shi statements.

yasashiishi, kirei dashi, suteki na hito. :)
nprz

Postby InsanityRanch » Sat 10.22.2005 10:32 am

One other thing about 'na'. Sometimes it is substituted for "da".

For instance, you can add "no da/no desu/nda/ndesu" to a sentence to make it... how to explain? Well, emphatic maybe. Sort of like, "This is how it is: .........."

So, for example: Kare ha inai. He's not here.
Ima, kare ha inain desu. The thing is, he's not here right now... (I imagine this said in kind of a soft, tentative way...)

If the sentence ends in a verb, you just add "no da/no desu/nda/ndesu". But if it is a copular sentence you change da to na first.

Kare ha isha da. He's a doctor. Statement of fact.

But suppose your friend tells you she really likes this guy but he is SO arrogant! You might say: Kare ha, isha na no da. He's a doctor. (implying, so what do you expect?)

Bottom line, there are a lot of uses of "na". "Da" is a lot simpler!

Shira
"Give me a fruitful error any time, full of seeds, bursting with its own corrections. You can keep your sterile truth for yourself." -- Vilfredo Pareto
InsanityRanch

Postby KeroGero » Sat 10.22.2005 4:02 pm

「な」, or 「なぁ」 when used like 「ね」 is more commonly used by men. That's not to say that women can't use it, just that they usually don't because it's seen as strong and unfeminine.
「な」 is also used to describe nouns, this usage doesn't really have a speciffic meaning, it's just a grammar thing and has no connection to the sentence ender 「な」.
★★★★★
KeroGero

Return to Grammar Questions and Problems