Learn Japanese with JapanesePod101.com

View topic - Shinto and Buddhism

Shinto and Buddhism

Post questions and answers about living or visiting Japan or the culture

Shinto and Buddhism

Postby Duelley49 » Fri 08.17.2007 7:12 pm

I know there is a religion topic already on this board, but I'm not interested about Christianity in Japan. Are Japanese still strong believers in Shinto and Buddhism. From what I understand both religions are such a part of Japanese life that most Japanese don't consider themselves religious.
Duelley49

RE: Shinto and Buddhism

Postby Hatori » Fri 08.17.2007 7:18 pm

Duelley49 wrote:
...most Japanese don't consider themselves religious.

I'm a Christian and I feel as if I "worship" Buddah more than the Japanese. I have a little golden statue about three feet away from me with a sign I made by hand saying:
"BUDDAH FROWNS UPON YOU!"
or on the other side it says,"BUDDAH SMILES UPON YOU!"
Right now Buddah's smiling...
Back onto a more definate topic, from what I've learned and acknowledge, it seems as if the Japanese do and do not have a strong sense of religion. It's sort of hard to explain, but it'll probably be better off it somebody else posts about it.
我是老师。我是老师。我是老师。我是老师。我是老师。我是老师。我是老师。
lol
~ハトリ~
Hatori

Native language: English

Postby spin13 » Sat 08.18.2007 11:45 am

Duelley49 wrote:
I know there is a religion topic already on this board, but I'm not interested about Christianity in Japan. Are Japanese still strong believers in Shinto and Buddhism. From what I understand both religions are such a part of Japanese life that most Japanese don't consider themselves religious.

Most of it comes down to the word religion and its derivations, and their associated meanings. A Westerner and a Japanese person witnessing the same event might come to different conclusions about its religious nature. Ultimately, it's incredibly difficult and not particularly worth it to try to associate, in the mind of the Japanese, the same implications with the actions that we native speakers of English equate with the word.

-Eric
You're probably not as smart as you think.
Unskilled and Unaware
spin13

Postby Duelley49 » Sun 08.19.2007 10:14 am

I once tried to have a conversation with a Japanese girl about religion. It was extremely confusing. Neither of us could understand the other's definition of "religion".
Duelley49

Re: Shinto and Buddhism

Postby matt20081989 » Tue 07.08.2008 12:54 pm

The Eastern and Western concepts of religion are very different. Western thought usually says you can only be a part of one religion. Yet in eastern thought there is no limit to how many religions one can be a part of. I knew a chinese immigrant who was a taoist, buddhist, and hindu combined.

In the west it's usually what doctrine or belief system you follow, but in the east it's what you believe.
Konnichi wa, watashi wa amerikajin.
hello, i am american.
matt20081989

Postby two_heads_talking » Tue 07.08.2008 1:08 pm

matt20081989 wrote:The Eastern and Western concepts of religion are very different. Western thought usually says you can only be a part of one religion. Yet in eastern thought there is no limit to how many religions one can be a part of. I knew a chinese immigrant who was a taoist, buddhist, and hindu combined.

In the west it's usually what doctrine or belief system you follow, but in the east it's what you believe.

Matt, take a look at the last time this thread was activated.. Aug of 2007.. Now, with you being new here, you might not have had a chance to check out all the rules..

please take a look at this.. http://www.thejapanesepage.com/faq

Enjoy your time here..
two_heads_talking

Postby Yudan Taiteki » Tue 07.08.2008 1:18 pm

I just wonder how new people manage to find these old threads. The search, maybe?
-Chris Kern
Yudan Taiteki

Postby hyperconjugated » Tue 07.08.2008 1:58 pm

TJP likes to watch.
He's a prankster.
Think about it.
He gives man...
...search function

He gives you this extraordinary gift,
and then what does He do?

I swear, for his own amusement...
his own private, cosmic...
gag reel...
He sets the rules in opposition.
It's the goof of all time.

Login, but don't search.
Search, but don't post.
Post, but don't necropost.
And while you're jumping from one foot
to the next, what is He doing?

He's laughing his sick, ------- --- off!
He's a tight---!
He's a sadist!
He's an absentee landlord!
Worship that? Never!
Irgendwann fällt jede Mauer
hyperconjugated

Native language: Finnish

Postby AJBryant » Tue 07.08.2008 2:16 pm

Yudan Taiteki wrote:I just wonder how new people manage to find these old threads. The search, maybe?

Well, when you're new, EVERY thread is "new" -- so people tend to scan through topics looking for things that are interesting. But they don't look at the DATES.

Tony
AJBryant
Site Admin

Postby two_heads_talking » Tue 07.08.2008 2:27 pm

AJBryant wrote:
Yudan Taiteki wrote:I just wonder how new people manage to find these old threads. The search, maybe?

Well, when you're new, EVERY thread is "new" -- so people tend to scan through topics looking for things that are interesting. But they don't look at the DATES.

Tony

yep, that's why it would be a nice thing to have a dead pool for old dinosaur threads to go to shed their skin.
two_heads_talking

Postby bobbywafre » Sun 07.13.2008 10:45 pm

matt20081989 wrote:Western thought usually says you can only be a part of one religion. Yet in eastern thought there is no limit to how many religions one can be a part of.

I get what you are saying but really it boils down to what truth is; not what religion is. If truth is absolute (and there can only be one truth) then it is not accurate to be be using terms like western / eastern thought.
bobbywafre

Postby YoshiKate » Sun 03.08.2009 3:31 pm

where is the religion section? I want to learn more about Shinto and Buddhism.
YoshiKate

Postby Sairana » Sun 03.08.2009 9:29 pm

YoshiKate wrote:where is the religion section? I want to learn more about Shinto and Buddhism.

What religion section? The closest to that you'll find here is this Culture and Info forum where you can ask questions. I am sure there's tons of websites out there that have plenty of info on both shinto and buddhism. Read up on it, and ask questions here. Some people may be able to answer them. :)

As a side note, try not to post in threads that are pretty old. If they haven't been written in for a while, they're considered "dead". If you have a new question, use the "New Topic" button at the top of the topic list.
Sairana

Native language: (US) English

Postby chikara » Tue 03.10.2009 12:34 am

YoshiKate wrote:where is the religion section? I want to learn more about Shinto and Buddhism.

Please read before posting!
1.5: Old threads can and should only be revived if the post benefits the community (Posts like "oh, thanks. lol. I see." etc... aren't beneficial). So unless your post is bringing up important information, or asking for better clarification, then we request you refrain from posting in old threads.
6: We request that you do not discuss religion or politics, even in the off topic section, in order to reduce needless friction.

:)
Don't complain to me that people kick you when you're down. It's your own fault for lying there
chikara

Native language: English (Australian)

Postby john2 » Tue 03.10.2009 5:42 pm

I thought you guys were still fine in this case, as long as we don't get to frivolous.
I didn't realise this was an old thread. :? :? , their both very facinating.
If I’m not mistaken one is nature worship… sort of more like Neo-paganism then it is other well religions bound to a more European/Arabic origin.
john2

Next

Return to Culture and Info about living in Japan