Learn Japanese with JapanesePod101.com

View topic - FFXIII

FFXIII

Discuss games, Japanese as well as non-Japanese.

FFXIII

Postby kanadajin » Wed 07.16.2008 12:52 pm

http://ca.youtube.com/watch?v=pmQ4V55T1hI
That's the trailer, it looks pretty crazy, and i'm sure we all knew it was coming.
However how many of you heard that it's now in production for the 360 :O!

I'm sorry to the ps3 lovers, but now ps3 has NOTHING going for it, except metal gear solid which is a good game.
kanadajin

Re: FFXIII

Postby Sairana » Wed 07.16.2008 2:24 pm

Yeah, all the PS3 fanboys are having a crybaby fit over it.

Personally, I buy whatever game system has games I want on it. I own every single gaming system since the Coleco (although the atari in a box in my garage needs a little repair work). Every system, that is, except the PS3.

In the last generation, I bought the PS2 first. The decision was made for the sake of one game only: FFX. I bought the Xbox and Gamecube more than a year later. Over the life of the systems, I bought a grand total of FIVE PS2 games, and dozens for the other two systems.

This time around, I was waiting to see. And so far, Sony just hasn't put out anything that justifies a five- or six-hundred dollar price tag.... Blu-ray be damned. Maybe if I was into sports games it would be a different story.

FFXIII was gonna be my only regret.... but even Squeenix's franchise giant wasn't going to have me buying a system I just won't play. So I am exceedingly happy to see FFXIII on the 360.
Sairana

Native language: (US) English

Postby kanadajin » Wed 07.16.2008 7:41 pm

Yeah blue-ray is useless, if you can deal with HD than you're set.
Because blue-ray is SO SLOW, as in loading and reading the disk.
They have to double data on some CD's or store it already in the ps3 so the laser doesn't have to travel as far.

But if you're watching movies it's definitely better.

Maybe if I was into sports games it would be a different story.

Everyone says sport games are best on the xbox, however I think sport games are much better on the PS3. I like the controller, it's layout and it's just much easier (for me) to use when laying sport games.

I think that Madden is the only sport game that's better on xbox. But madden has little changes every year.

However since i'm used to FF on sony I may not like it as much, because of the change, or maybe it'll be better.
Either way I just want to play it, a.s.a.p :)
The characters look like they're getting older again, surprising I thought they would be infants this time around.
kanadajin

Postby Ukeath » Wed 07.16.2008 10:40 pm

FFXIII on the 360 is an America only release. In Japan they will only get it on the PS3. Either way I'm picking it up for my ps3.

How can you say the PS3 has nothing going for it? What about Resistance 2, Killzone 2 , Little Big Planet?
Ukeath

Postby Sairana » Thu 07.17.2008 8:48 am

I have the 360 and the Wii, and I own about a dozen games for the 360 and twice that for the Wii. There has to be a whole lot more "OMG I need to have that game" from the PS3 before the cost is worthwhile. Thus far, PS3 games have made me think, "Ooh, that would be a neat game. If I had a PS3." ^_^
Sairana

Postby two_heads_talking » Thu 07.17.2008 3:46 pm

PS3 is still the only console capable of playing blueray discs.. If you have an HD and don't have a blueray, your HD is wasted.

To be honest, from 2009 on, the HD capabilities of tvs will definately come to the forefront. Right now, even the standard PS3, Xbox360 and wii don't even start to take advantage of any of the HD formats..

AS far as price is concerned, the Wii is the best value for the money..

Xbox, with it's supposed rerelease at a reduced price is going to make it close to the Wii..

And PS brings up the rear like it always does.

the break down is this..

sports, action better on xbox.

thriller, rpgs better on PS3

not really sure what's better on the Wii, even though I have one, it seems that I have it mainly for the fact that I can do something besides sit on my butt.
two_heads_talking

Native language: English

Postby Sairana » Thu 07.17.2008 4:21 pm

I guess... if you think graphics alone makes a good game, then PS3 is worth the money. :D

I'm not in that camp, though.
Sairana

Postby Ukeath » Fri 07.18.2008 5:36 pm

It's not a real surprise that it is going to be multi-platform. Games these days cost A LOT of money to make. So by putting it on the Xbox as well helps sales and also helps to get players unfamiliar with the Final Fantasy series into them. I bet we can expect a lot of so called "exclusives" going to other systems.
Ukeath

Postby kanadajin » Fri 07.18.2008 6:06 pm

How can you say the PS3 has nothing going for it? What about Resistance 2, Killzone 2 , Little Big Planet?

Because that's my opinion and i dislike all those games, besides little big planet, which I've never heard of.

AS far as price is concerned, the Wii is the best value for the money..

Indeed, Wii is very fun, and I don't want to say they put little effort into the creation of it, because they didn't, and it was very different and creative. However the hardware is the exact same thing as the gamecube, and the Wii remotes, well, we've had that technology for a long time, think back to the Nintendo, playing duckhunt, same stuff.
But yes, they did do that purposely to keep the prices low for us, which is good.

I actually just bought my 360 today.

I have COD4, and when I go shopping next, which shall be soon, probably in a few days before I beat COD4 :P I will buy more games. I'm uncertain which I want, I know I want ninja gaiden 2, I haven't played it yet, all I know is that the first Ninja gaiden was amazing, ninja gaiden sigma was useless, I don't know why they made that.
Maybe elder scrolls, too human, and others.
I'm still waiting for teh release of Fable2 and now FF :O :D
kanadajin

Postby Feba » Fri 07.18.2008 8:22 pm

kanadajin wrote: Wii [...] hardware is the exact same thing as the gamecube, and the Wii remotes, well, we've had that technology for a long time, think back to the Nintendo, playing duckhunt, same stuff.

You have absolutely no idea what you're talking about, do you?
Feba

Postby Wakannai » Sat 07.19.2008 12:07 am

kanadajin wrote:Yeah blue-ray is useless, if you can deal with HD than you're set.
Because blue-ray is SO SLOW, as in loading and reading the disk.
They have to double data on some CD's or store it already in the ps3 so the laser doesn't have to travel as far.

I think you missed the news here. HD-DVD lost the format war. It's the first time Sony ever won. Going HD-Dvd is a waste now. Hardly anyone supports it anymore.
Wakannai

Postby geekman » Sun 07.20.2008 4:59 am

Wow this thread has gone off topic but i like it :D

anyways, I'd have to say PS3 still looks more promising to me than the 360 does. This comes down to price, hardware and games.

PRICE
as you know an 80Gb PS3 currently sells at about $499.99 (well where i live anyways)
Wheras the 360 is $299.99
But although this does look like a big difference we must note that to play online on the 360 you must pay $50.00 a year for online fees while the ps3's online capability is free, not only that but unlike the ps3's rechargeable controllers, the 360 requires you to buy batteries every time your controllers run out of power, this can rack up easily and cost you a decent amount of money.

HARDWARE
The PS3 is arguably the most powerful gaming platform every created, The PS3 contains 8 cell processors each clocked at 3.2Ghz While the Xbox uses a Triple core CPU which is 3 processors running at 3.2Ghz. in Graphics processing, the Xbox and PS3 are moslty similar, both having strong outlooks for the future.

GAMES
This is much more personal preference i guess, both the Xbox and PS3 have a variety of Games, but due to the Xbox being released a year earlier than the PS3, i would say the Xbox has more games, although future titles could change this, because quality is more important than quantity...

O and I would say that the Wii is a Hit and Miss, if you are a casual gamer who likes fun active games and moving on your feat, the Wii is for you. If your a more hardcore gamer like me who stays up till 2am playing games then you will find that you will get tired of the Wii very fast.
Boxing Kirby! O-(-_-Q)
geekman

Postby Feba » Sun 07.20.2008 6:39 pm

geekman wrote:O and I would say that the Wii is a Hit and Miss, if you are a casual gamer who likes fun active games and moving on your feat, the Wii is for you. If your a more hardcore gamer like me who stays up till 2am playing games then you will find that you will get tired of the Wii very fast.

Wrong. I've had plenty of times where I've stayed up all night playing Wii games. There are plenty of good games out there on Wii; even ports can be hugely improved by the addition of the Wiimote (RE4 and Okami, for instance).
Feba

Postby Sairana » Sun 07.20.2008 8:37 pm

Wii's primary focus is having fun..... with friends. ^_^ The controls are neat, anyone can pick it up and play. My dad came to visit me a month ago. He's -so- not a gamer, and he's getting up there in years. But he watched my kids play Wii sports and Wii play, and soon, he was in there playing Mario Kart and bowling and golf and baseball.... he said it was the most fun he'd had in a long time. He even said he might buy one for himself.

Anything that can bring that kind of delight to someone is worth something huge. Technical specs and comparing hardware like penis sizes is what gets old for me. HD doesn't thrill me. If there's a game in HD that's good, I'll play it. But I'm not about to turn down buying a good game just because it -isn't- HD and might "waste" the potential of my TV set.

Eye candy is the icing on the cake for a good game. Nice, but not required.

Long live Squeenix and Xbox360. And Nintendo. And.... Sony.... if they have to. ^_^
Sairana

Postby geekman » Sun 07.20.2008 10:30 pm

You guys do bring up interesting arguments, i do think that the Wii is the ultimate party system, And i also believe that the Wii is has more Creativity in it than any other system.
But people who like conventional fighting games and shooters will find that they wont be satisfied with a Wii. Games like Call of Duty 4 or (the soon to be) Soul Caliber 4, just cant be found very easily on the Wii. The only game i can think of that can match these games is Super smash bros brawl but what else is there? Try finding a shooter on the Wii that stands up against Halo 3 or Bioshock.

**Although, I may have to eat my words in the future so you can keep that in mind.
Boxing Kirby! O-(-_-Q)
geekman

Next

Return to Games