Learn Japanese with JapanesePod101.com

View topic - FFXIII

FFXIII

Discuss games, Japanese as well as non-Japanese.

Re: FFXIII

Postby Feba » Mon 07.21.2008 2:00 am

geekman wrote:You guys do bring up interesting arguments, i do think that the Wii is the ultimate party system, And i also believe that the Wii is has more Creativity in it than any other system.
But people who like conventional fighting games and shooters will find that they wont be satisfied with a Wii. Games like Call of Duty 4 or (the soon to be) Soul Caliber 4, just cant be found very easily on the Wii. The only game i can think of that can match these games is Super smash bros brawl but what else is there? Try finding a shooter on the Wii that stands up against Halo 3 or Bioshock.

**Although, I may have to eat my words in the future so you can keep that in mind.

First of all, the idea that "fighting games and shooters" are the main chunk of the core gaming market is rather silly. If anything, it's FPS and RPGs. Fighting games are barely more than a niche. Still, the Wii has plenty to offer there; SSBB as you said (although some, myself included, would debate how much of a fighting game it is), Guilty Gear XX Accent Core, Mortal Kombat: Armageddon. I've also heard good things about some of the franchise-based fighters, like Naruto and DBZ, at least if you don't hate the series (unfortunately, they bug the crap out of me). There are also less traditional combat games, like Wii Sports Boxing, and the 1:1 Swordfighting coming up in Wii Sports Resort, which use the Wii controls.

Shooters, while you have somewhat of a valid point with, are still not too uncommon on the Wii. Metroid Prime 3, while it is more of a First Person Adventure, is supposed to have very good combat, from a first person perspective. Medal of Honor: Heroes 2 has some problems, but the controls are top notch. RE4Wii, while a port, and not a true FPS, is easily the best shooting game I've ever played-- the controls are simply not possible on any other platform, and pointing with the Wii remote to aim your gun works insanely well. There's also The Conduit on the horizon, which looks to have great controls, although the graphics seem more focused on technology than art direction (then again, the same could be said of Halo, depending on how you look at it)

Besides which, lumping the success of a game into how strictly it adheres to a genre is one of the reasons that the industry hasn't really persuaded people to give up their PS2s. If someone can truly ONLY enjoy things in a certain genre, I feel very sorry for them. Even within genres I dislike (Racing, Sports), I am able to find games I love (Burnout, Wii Sports/Fit). There are a great many games that non-gamers would likely not enjoy, that are good, on Wii. Again, I have to point out RE4 here, as well as mention Okami, which are both ports, but done to the point where they are better than the originals (Okami's Wii version has some publishing flaws and stupid mistakes, but as a game it is almost entirely better). To list a few random ones, No More Heroes, most Nintendo games (even casual titles like Wii Sports and Wii Fit offer surprising depth), Blast Works, as well as many other games provide unique and interesting experiences which any gamer should be able to appreciate, and can only be found on the Wii.

This is ignoring the Virtual Console, as well, which provides many classic games at prices better than what you can often find at a used games store (although many, again myself included, think they are still too high), and games which you would have an extremely difficult time finding anyway.

The idea that gamers cannot enjoy a Wii is as absurd as the notion that a family cannot enjoy a 360. Are the BIG NAME games for 360, Halo 3, Gears of War, etc. family friendly? No. Are there tons of perfectly fun, family oriented 360 titles out there? Sure. Will they take a little bit of research to dig up? Perhaps. But even though I loathe Microsoft, and personally refuse to buy a 360, I have no problem admitting that it could serve just fine as a family or party console.
Feba

Native language: English

Postby Sairana » Mon 07.21.2008 7:00 am

Feba wrote:
geekman wrote:there tons of perfectly fun, family oriented 360 titles out there? Sure.

Viva Pinata!

Although... I don't recall anyone saying that Xbox wasn't a good family/party system. :P

part of my bias against Sony this time around was the focus on sheer power and little innovation.

Xbox and Gamecube both had four controller ports, while the PS2 only had 2. You could get the multitap (a la PS1), but there weren't enough 3+ player games to make it worth buying (it was proprietary, and about $50!) When PS3 was first announced, they were -planning- on only having 2 possible controllers usable on a given system, citing that online multiplayer was enough. Later, they changed their minds.

PS3 was going to use the dual shock controllers until the Wii remote was unveiled to be "motion sensitive". A month later, Sony announces the Sixaxis, a poor imitation of motion sensing capability. It seemed like a weak, laughable gimmick. From what I have heard from people who have a PS3, most games don't use the sixaxis tilt, and those that do suffer from poor response time and flat-out incorrect interpretation.

THEN they promised backwards compatibility. I was skeptical, though, but that would have been a selling point for me. But the buyer-beware strategy of "wait and see" saved me on that one, too. Backwards compatibility was such a disaster, the newer released systems don't even offer the option of trying. At least the 360 managed to make most of its predecessor's games work (and they were open about the ones that didn't, usually really, really old games), and the Wii plays Gamecube discs, and even has 4 GC controller ports and memory card slots (Xbox didn't even do that.... no way to transfer your games from the original to the 360).

So anyway..... I have a long list of gripes with the PS3 that make me not wanna give Sony my money right now. Maybe the PS4 will be backwards compatible with the PS3, be within my budget, AND knock my socks off with their launch lineup of exclusive titles. Then I'll get to play the "ooh shinies" games. ^_^
Sairana

Native language: (US) English

Postby geekman » Mon 07.21.2008 2:55 pm

looks like i got knocked out on this one :shock:

but i still wouldn't buy a Wii, My friends would laugh at me :mrgreen:
Boxing Kirby! O-(-_-Q)
geekman

Postby Ukeath » Mon 07.21.2008 8:10 pm

As for the backwards compatibility goes on the Ps3 it is not all horrible. Sure the 40 gig has none and the 80 has some. But the 60 gig is full backwards compatible. I have never had any issues with my 60 going backwards. So, if backwards compatibility is keeping you from playing a Ps3, look for a used 60 gig.
Ukeath

Postby Sairana » Tue 07.22.2008 1:55 am

Ukeath wrote:I have never had any issues with my 60 going backwards.

You're in the minority, then. There's tons of complaints about it, and that's why the new PS3's don't even offer it. My neighbor bought a used 60GB PS3, and it's been a complete pain in the rear ever since. He was able to play PS2 games on it for like two weeks, and then it just stopped reading the discs.... and the discs were fine. (He came over and tried them in my PS2 to be sure).

Though... backwards compatibility isn't the only issue... did you miss my other two points? Plus, I mentioned that those were only 3 of a long list of gripes about the PS3.
Sairana

Postby geekman » Tue 07.22.2008 1:00 pm

Sairana wrote:
PS3 was going to use the dual shock controllers until the Wii remote was unveiled to be "motion sensitive". A month later, Sony announces the Sixaxis, a poor imitation of motion sensing capability. It seemed like a weak, laughable gimmick. From what I have heard from people who have a PS3, most games don't use the sixaxis tilt, and those that do suffer from poor response time and flat-out incorrect interpretation,

I think you are forgetting about the Eye toy for the Playstation 2? This kind of Technology was first introduced into the home console market by Sony, the Wii is just a Better version of that with peripherals to play with. ...Although, the eye toy wasn't all that successful, But it was fun :mrgreen: .

and your first complaint is not really a complaint..Sony did put in the capability for more controllers in the PS3, you sound like your complaining about the PS2?
Boxing Kirby! O-(-_-Q)
geekman

Postby Sairana » Tue 07.22.2008 2:41 pm

geekman wrote:and your first complaint is not really a complaint..Sony did put in the capability for more controllers in the PS3, you sound like your complaining about the PS2?

They only changed their minds about the PS3 when the gamer community rebelled. You'd think that after the PS2, they'd have known that there's plenty of people out there who.. GASP... play with real life friends in their homes. Why'd they have to wait for backlash to figure it out?

Sony's attitude toward the market these days is entirely too detached.

Nintendo, the class clown, is friendly and very community oriented. Microsoft, being the new kid in class, had to overcome the M$ "evil empire" stigma, so is out of necessity very responsive to the community. Sony's the class bully, 5 years older than everyone else, flexing his muscles and shouting, "BLU-RAY!" menacingly at anyone who passes by in the hopes they drop $600 in milk money.

Sony has the power, but none of the charm right now.
Sairana

Postby geekman » Tue 07.22.2008 7:11 pm

Hmm that does sound true.. but i'd rather think that Microsoft is more of a rich exchange student with a lot of friends (i.e. fanboys/girls)

At the moment, you are right. Sony seems to be out of it, they are doing all sorts of stupid mistakes. I say kick the guy in charge out and hire someone who actually deserves that kind of pay.
Boxing Kirby! O-(-_-Q)
geekman

Postby Feba » Wed 07.23.2008 4:50 am

geekman wrote:I think you are forgetting about the Eye toy for the Playstation 2? This kind of Technology was first introduced into the home console market by Sony, the Wii is just a Better version of that with peripherals to play with. ...Although, the eye toy wasn't all that successful, But it was fun :mrgreen: .

Have you played it? Have you played it anywhere other than by yourself? Hell, have you played it with a cat around? The eye toy was very unreliable, simply because the computing power and intelligence to track people like that doesn't exist yet. It also provided no tactile feedback, which made it incredibly frustrating to play some games.

and your first complaint is not really a complaint..Sony did put in the capability for more controllers in the PS3, you sound like your complaining about the PS2?

No, Sony screwed over their market in an attempt to screw over Nintendo. It didn't help them with their market, and it didn't help them with Nintendo, so they made their users pay to clean up their mess with DUALSHOCK3. The SIXAXIS was a horrible, rushed idea from the beginning. It did not contribute to the games. Saying it added capabilities is like saying that taking out your car's CD player and putting in a fan is adding the capability to blow wind in your face.
Feba

Postby geekman » Thu 07.24.2008 2:42 pm

Feba wrote:
Have you played it? Have you played it anywhere other than by yourself? Hell, have you played it with a cat around? The eye toy was very unreliable, simply because the computing power and intelligence to track people like that doesn't exist yet. It also provided no tactile feedback, which made it incredibly frustrating to play some games.

:| I am not talking about how good it was i'm talking about the original idea...your only concentrating on the last 3 words i said, which by the way were referring only to my personal opinion.

Feba wrote:
No, Sony screwed over their market in an attempt to screw over Nintendo. It didn't help them with their market, and it didn't help them with Nintendo, so they made their users pay to clean up their mess with DUALSHOCK3. The SIXAXIS was a horrible, rushed idea from the beginning. It did not contribute to the games. Saying it added capabilities is like saying that taking out your car's CD player and putting in a fan is adding the capability to blow wind in your face.

Did you even read what I was talking about? I was not talking about the six axis garbage, I was talking about sony adding 2 more controller slots to their console :| .
Boxing Kirby! O-(-_-Q)
geekman

Postby Feba » Sun 07.27.2008 7:53 am

geekman wrote: :| I am not talking about how good it was i'm talking about the original idea...your only concentrating on the last 3 words i said, which by the way were referring only to my personal opinion.

It's hardly an original idea, using movement in games could be linked back to the Zapper or steering wheel type accessories. It could be linked to games like DDR. Saying, or implying, that the Wii's controls are following the EyeToy is silly.

Did you even read what I was talking about? I was not talking about the six axis garbage, I was talking about sony adding 2 more controller slots to their console :| .

I am sorry, I misread that. I thought you were talking about another post.
Feba

Postby destination_uknown » Sat 08.02.2008 5:14 am

kanadajin wrote:http://ca.youtube.com/watch?v=pmQ4V55T1hI
That's the trailer, it looks pretty crazy, and i'm sure we all knew it was coming.
However how many of you heard that it's now in production for the 360 :O!

I'm sorry to the ps3 lovers, but now ps3 has NOTHING going for it, except metal gear solid which is a good game.

Hmmmm very interesting, my brother often used to play games too.
destination_uknown

Postby kanadajin » Mon 08.04.2008 3:42 pm

You have absolutely no idea what you're talking about, do you?

Actually I do, they wanted to keep the Wii inexpensive, and the Wii is basically the gamecube there may be small changes, but it's the same thing.

As for the Wii remotes, i'm aware duck hunt and the wii are different however it's the same concept, and basically also the same thing, however, obviously more improved.
kanadajin

Postby Feba » Tue 08.12.2008 5:48 pm

kanadajin wrote:
You have absolutely no idea what you're talking about, do you?

Actually I do, they wanted to keep the Wii inexpensive, and the Wii is basically the gamecube there may be small changes, but it's the same thing.

No. It's not. That's like comparing a ten year old x86 processor with one that's a few years old, and saying they're "the same thing".

As for the Wii remotes, i'm aware duck hunt and the wii are different however it's the same concept, and basically also the same thing, however, obviously more improved.

No. They are not the same concept. They aren't any more similar in concept than Final Fantasy and Devil May Cry. Sure, they're both video games, and you press buttons to play them, and you fight monsters... but anyone who spends thirty minutes with them would see that they're very different; let alone anyone who understands how the technomagic behind the scenes works.
Feba

Postby Harisenbon » Thu 08.14.2008 10:49 pm

Feba wrote:No. They are not the same concept. They aren't any more similar in concept than Final Fantasy and Devil May Cry. Sure, they're both video games, and you press buttons to play them, and you fight monsters... but anyone who spends thirty minutes with them would see that they're very different; let alone anyone who understands how the technomagic behind the scenes works.

Actually, while I agree that they are very different, technologically, they are the same. Photo-sensors in the zapper or the wii remote detect the position of lights in/around the screen and react accordingly.

the zapper was a very simple "camera" that detected (I believe) a dark spot on a white screen. Which is why when you clicked the trigger on the zapper, the screen flashed white for a moment. Then the zapper would find the spot. If the spot was in the middle on the zapper's view, then that was considered a hit.

The wii-remote is similar in that it has a high-resolution IR camera in the remote which detects the position of the IR lamps that are installed in the sensor bar. As you move the wii back and forth, or up and down in space, the position of the IR lights change in relation to the camera, thus allowing the wii-remote to know which way the remote is pointing.

In addition to the camera functions, the wii remote also has 6(I believe) accelerometers which are like little gyroscopes that tell the wii the tilt angle of the remote.

so... yeah. ;)
Want to learn Japanese the right way? How about for free?
Ippatsu // Japanesetesting.com
Harisenbon

Native language: (poor) English

Previous

Return to Games