Learn Japanese with JapanesePod101.com

View topic - Japanese Jazz Fusion

Japanese Jazz Fusion

Discuss Japanese movies and music.

Japanese Jazz Fusion

Postby Dimension » Sat 07.19.2008 6:16 am

I was hoping deep inside my heart that I would find a thread about this already filled to the brim with post, but alas, reality can be devastatingly cruel sometimes :wink:
Oh well, I'm used to having eccentric tastes, so don't pity me, ha ha.

Anyway, since I'm guessing not many of you know noything about what it is maybe this is a good time to introduce all you people to this great genre.
Jazz Fusion is a genre that doesn't come from Japan alright but the Japanese has taken up the genre as well and they have somewhat created their own version of it (IMO).

I was thinking as I have a tendency to drown people with the music I like I'm gonna try to hold myself and only post one video a day at most to keep this thread alive for as long as possible and hopefully get some of you to start liking it as well.

This particular video that I'm gonna post to start it all off is from a live with the bands Casiopea and T-Square, both which are the most popular and biggest Japanese Jazz Fusion bands which has played ever since the seventies. This particular song is pretty much the show song of the live set and it is one crazily good at that. I recommend EVERYONE to try it out.

Enjoy!
Casiopea vs T-Square- Fightman
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Edc2yVHRHiQ

So what do you think of this video? Anyone here that have heard of these bands before? Any fans of them, new and becoming or old? It would be great to hear your input on these bands, no matter what it is.
Dimension

Native language: Swedish

Re: Japanese Jazz Fusion

Postby Dimension » Tue 07.22.2008 7:34 am

I KNEW IT! No responses, as always. I can't understand how some people just don't like this stuff or don't even care to try it out. However I won't give up! Here comes another great clip from Masato Honda, one of the most greatly skilled musicians I know of.

Masato Honda - Athlete
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3N6h-DHmyJ0
Dimension

Postby AJBryant » Tue 07.22.2008 5:19 pm

You have to realize you are fighting the Must Love It rule of J-pop (which makes me gag, frankly).

Have you ever heard any Gontiti? They were great, but that was in around 89 or 90, I think.

Tony
AJBryant
Site Admin

Native language: English

Postby two_heads_talking » Wed 07.23.2008 9:45 am

All my Fusion references are from the New Age side of things. The Japanese never picked up on that, so, While I like fusion, I just don't get into the Jazz arena.

Although the music is not horrendous, I just doesn't get me going.
two_heads_talking

Native language: English

Postby Ukeath » Wed 07.23.2008 5:38 pm

I'm not a fan of Jazz but that was really something. I loved the effects on the bass. :D
Ukeath

Postby Dimension » Thu 07.24.2008 6:40 am

I hadn't heard of Gontiti before you mentioned them, but now I have and they're great so thanks :D

Ukeath wrote:I'm not a fan of Jazz but that was really something. I loved the effects on the bass. :D

Good to hear that you liked it :) But really, it's not Jazz. It's Jazz Fusion (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jazz_fusion). I know of a lot of people who like Jazz Fusion but not "regular" Jazz so you're not alone. Jazz Fusion tends to be easier on the ears for most people, especially Japanese which can be quite catchy at times.

Here comes a smokin' tune from Masato Honda called Parallelogram. It gets me going eeeevery time.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s0Yxj90AR30
Dimension

Return to Japanese Movies and Music