Learn Japanese with JapanesePod101.com

View topic - Advice with reading manga

Advice with reading manga

Have a textbook or grammar book that you find particularly helpful? What about a learning tip to share with others?

Advice with reading manga

Postby robomonkey » Wed 07.23.2008 1:55 am

Yeah. I need advice on what would help me read manga. I have a translation of it. I currently know Hiragana and Katakana. I'm wondering what I would need to know next besides the proper grammar. I'm aware I must know grammar to understand that and know what are are saying in the manga. 8)

[Oni-fied]
robomonkey

Re: Advice with reading manga

Postby chikara » Wed 07.23.2008 2:14 am

robomonkey wrote:Yeah i need advice on what would help me read manga and have like a translation of it i currently know Hiragana and Katakana and im wondering what i would need next besides grammar i know i must know that to understand and know what they r saying in the manga 8)

:shock:

Sorry, I don't read manga so I can't give you any advice in that area but I would recommend you read the Please read before posting! thread paying particular attention to the following;

..... When you write, please write with proper capitalization, punctuation, grammar, and syntax. In short, like a literate adult...

robomonkey, "I hope this is informative."

[Oni-fied]

Edit: Interesting that an Admin sees the need to sensor posts that politely point out the forum rules to a new poster who repeatedly shows no regard for them. Looks like I am facing a ban for this :roll:

BTW, why hasn't Tony-san's post which I quoted also been Oni-fied :?
Last edited by chikara on Sun 07.27.2008 9:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Don't complain to me that people kick you when you're down. It's your own fault for lying there
chikara

Native language: English (Australian)

Postby robomonkey » Wed 07.23.2008 2:20 am

chikara wrote:
robomonkey wrote:Yeah i need advice on what would help me read manga and have like a translation of it i currently know Hiragana and Katakana and im wondering what i would need next besides grammar i know i must know that to understand and know what they r saying in the manga 8)

:shock:

Sorry, I don't read manga so I can't give you any advice in that area but I would recommend you read the Please read before posting! thread paying particular attention to the following;

..... When you write, please write with proper capitalization, punctuation, grammar, and syntax. In short, like a literate adult instead of a text-messaging chimpanzee. ...

robomonkey, text-messaging chimpanzee, how apt :P

lol Nice joke, but must you guys be grammar Nazi? Il write properly from now on but comon lol
robomonkey

Postby chikara » Wed 07.23.2008 2:24 am

robomonkey wrote:lol Nice joke, but must you guys be grammar Nazi? Il write properly from now on but comon lol

Blackadder: Do you know what irony is?
Baldrick: Yes, it's like goldy and bronzy only it's made out of iron. :roll:
Don't complain to me that people kick you when you're down. It's your own fault for lying there
chikara

Postby Harisenbon » Wed 07.23.2008 2:37 am

robomonkey wrote:lol Nice joke, but must you guys be grammar Nazi? Il write properly from now on but comon lol

Grammar Nazi or not, I have no idea what you're asking.
Are you asking how to read manga?
Are you asking what manga have translations so that you can read them more easily?
Do you want a number of common words / grammatical phrases that are used in Manga?

Writing with semi-coherent grammar patterns is not being a grammer nazi. It lets the people trying to help you understand what the hell you are talking about.
Want to learn Japanese the right way? How about for free?
Ippatsu // Japanesetesting.com
Harisenbon

Native language: (poor) English

Postby Sairana » Wed 07.23.2008 2:38 am

1. Don't rely on the translation to give you vocabulary. The people who translted the manga probably did not have a student of Japanese in mind when they did so. They will translate things to sound natural to an English speaker, which may or may not be exactly what the japanese says.

2. Besides grammar? You do realize that grammar IS the language, yes? I guess the only thing besides grammar is vocabulary....
Sairana

Native language: (US) English

Postby robomonkey » Wed 07.23.2008 3:48 am

i dont c how capitals and stuff make u understand better since its the same with or without but im not asking for translations =S and yes vocabulary answered my question :? what i was asking wasnt so hard lol just a simple what would help me read manga better ;?
robomonkey

Postby chikara » Wed 07.23.2008 4:02 am

robomonkey wrote:i dont c how capitals and stuff make u understand better since its the same with or without ......

"Proper grammar helps your message get across clearly good sir."

[Oni-fied]
chikara

Postby Harisenbon » Wed 07.23.2008 4:04 am

robomonkey wrote:i dont c how capitals and stuff make u understand better since its the same with or without but im not asking for translations =S and yes vocabulary answered my question :? what i was asking wasnt so hard lol just a simple what would help me read manga better ;?

"Please use proper grammar. ^_^"

[Oni-fied]
Want to learn Japanese the right way? How about for free?
Ippatsu // Japanesetesting.com
Harisenbon

Native language: (poor) English

Postby Mike Cash » Wed 07.23.2008 5:39 am

And to think that I actually clicked on this thread with the idea of giving well thought out, sincere, helpful advice. The OP managed to show what an exercise in futility that would be.
Never underestimate my capacity for pettiness.
Mike Cash

Native language: English

Postby richvh » Wed 07.23.2008 7:32 am

robomonkey wrote:i dont c how capitals and stuff make u understand better since its the same with or without but im not asking for translations =S and yes vocabulary answered my question :? what i was asking wasnt so hard lol just a simple what would help me read manga better ;?

There are many, many people who use this forum who are not native speakers of English. For them, chatspeak like "c" for "see" and "u" for "you" may be less than obvious. Using proper capitalization, punctuation and spelling is common courtesy to them, and since this is a forum and not an instant messaging system, you have the time and space to write everything out properly. {Admin hat on: Follow this advice, or be shown the door. We've had previous text-messaging chimpanzees who have matured into valued posters, follow their example.]

Actually, there is no simple answer to your question. It could quite likely take you a year or more of hard study before you're at a point where you can read a manga with frequent reference to a dictionary. Grammar is actually more important than vocabulary, since you can't look up the grammar (for the most part) in a dictionary, and you need to know the grammar to change the conjugated words into something you can look up.
Richard VanHouten
ゆきの物語
richvh

Postby Dustin » Wed 07.23.2008 3:01 pm

Getting past the forums rules on proper grammar, I would also recommend studying a Japanese language course quite hard, and learning a lot of basic Kanji along with it.
I recommend getting the Japanese in Mangaland series, it is geared towards Manga specifically, since the polite speaking version we usually learn isn't what is normally used in the Manga comics.
While I would not consider this a stand alone course, supplementing it to something like Japanese for Everyone, or the Ganki series, you could move along quite well with a good foundation in Japanese and some of the Manga type language as well.

I am by no means an expert but I hope this helps ^^
Dustin

Native language: English

Postby robomonkey » Wed 07.23.2008 10:43 pm

"I'm sorry I don't think I understand. :?: "

[Oni-fied]
Last edited by robomonkey on Wed 07.23.2008 10:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
robomonkey

Postby chikara » Wed 07.23.2008 10:56 pm

"Oh."

[Oni-fied]
chikara

Postby robomonkey » Wed 07.23.2008 11:00 pm

"Ooops! did I break a rule?"

[Oni-fied]
robomonkey

Next

Return to Learning Materials Reviews & Language Learning tips