Learn Japanese with JapanesePod101.com

View topic - Font Size?...

Font Size?...

NO SPAM ALLOWED! Discuss stuff not related to Japan or Japanese. The rules are the same in this forum as in the other forums.

Font Size?...

Postby Battelle » Wed 07.23.2008 12:01 am

こんばんは。 :)

I was wondering if anyone could tell me how to increase the size that Kana and Kanji appear in, when viewed in FireFox? I'm having some difficulty telling certain Kana appart from one another, such as; ぱ and ば, and several kanji are also very difficult to read. Thanks in advance :)
Battelle

Re: Font Size?...

Postby Sairana » Wed 07.23.2008 12:10 am

You can click
view -> zoom -> zoom in (optional, click the one that says "Zoom text only" if you like

You can hit ctrl-+

You can also hold ctrl and roll your mouse wheel to change font sizes in pages on demand.

That's the best I have. If there are more sophisticated tweaks, I don't know them. :P
Sairana

Native language: (US) English

Postby Battelle » Wed 07.23.2008 12:24 am

ありがとうございます、サイラナさん。:)

Thanks, the mouse wheeling + Ctl works great, as I can zoom in quickly to read difficult Kana, then zoom out again easily to read other things. :) 
Battelle

Postby jimbreen » Wed 07.23.2008 1:24 am

Battelle wrote: I was wondering if anyone could tell me how to increase the size that Kana and Kanji appear in, when viewed in FireFox? I'm having some difficulty telling certain Kana appart from one another, such as; ぱ and ば, and several kanji are also very difficult to read.

You can set it globally by editing your preferences. Go to Tools/Options (Windows) or Edit/Preferences (Linux). Click on Content, then the "Advanced" next to Fonts and Colors. You should be able to change both the font selection and the display sizes.

Note that these settings may be overridden by the page if it explicitly sets a font/size. In that case you can zoom, as others have explained.
jimbreen

Postby Battelle » Wed 07.23.2008 11:27 am

You can set it globally by editing your preferences. Go to Tools/Options (Windows) or Edit/Preferences (Linux). Click on Content, then the "Advanced" next to Fonts and Colors. You should be able to change both the font selection and the display sizes.

Note that these settings may be overridden by the page if it explicitly sets a font/size. In that case you can zoom, as others have explained.

Thanks for the answer, though I did try that, it didn't change the size of the text in this forum, though Iit has increased for other web pages. But yes, the zoom work's well. :)
Battelle

Postby Harisenbon » Wed 07.23.2008 8:42 pm

Battelle wrote: Thanks for the answer, though I did try that, it didn't change the size of the text in this forum, though Iit has increased for other web pages. But yes, the zoom work's well. :)

If you're referring to this forum in particular, there is a icon on the top right of the page (looks like an A with an up and down arrow) that you can press to make the font size larger.
Want to learn Japanese the right way? How about for free?
Ippatsu // Japanesetesting.com
Harisenbon

Native language: (poor) English

Postby Battelle » Wed 07.23.2008 10:40 pm

If you're referring to this forum in particular, there is a icon on the top right of the page (looks like an A with an up and down arrow) that you can press to make the font size larger.

Ah, thank you. :) Though I still have a bit of trouble telling ぱ and ば apart, it does help. :)
Battelle

Postby furrykef » Thu 07.24.2008 1:52 am

Yeah, ば and ぱ drives me nuts too. Luckily, context will often resolve the ambiguity for you without you having to squint or increase the font size. In fact, there aren't terribly many places (except in katakana loanwords) where both are possible, so you can often tell without actually knowing the word. Other than in katakana loanwords and onomatopoeia, "pa/pi/pu/pe/po" generally occurs after っ and ん and nowhere else (I think), and "ba/bi/bu/be/bo" cannot appear after っ (nor can any other voiced consonants, for that matter), so the only time where you're likely have trouble is after ん. In katakana words, though, none of those rules apply, so you have to just know the word or look closely.

- Kef
Founder of Learning Languages Through Video Games.
Also see my lang-8 journal, where you can help me practice Japanese (and Spanish, and Italian!)
furrykef

Native language: Eggo (ワッフル語の方言)

Postby Battelle » Thu 07.24.2008 12:24 pm

Yeah, ば and ぱ drives me nuts too. Luckily, context will often resolve the ambiguity for you without you having to squint or increase the font size. In fact, there aren't terribly many places (except in katakana loanwords) where both are possible, so you can often tell without actually knowing the word. Other than in katakana loanwords and onomatopoeia, "pa/pi/pu/pe/po" generally occurs after っ and ん and nowhere else (I think), and "ba/bi/bu/be/bo" cannot appear after っ (nor can any other voiced consonants, for that matter), so the only time where you're likely have trouble is after ん. In katakana words, though, none of those rules apply, so you have to just know the word or look closely.

Well, I'm glad I'm not the only one... and here I had thought every other forum member just has incredible vision or something... :D

Thanks, I guess it justs comes down to experience with context then. :)
Battelle

Return to General off topic