Learn Japanese with JapanesePod101.com

View topic - "Desu" just for politeness

"Desu" just for politeness

Post questions and answers about living or visiting Japan or the culture

Re: "Desu" just for politeness

Postby MFoogle » Fri 07.25.2008 6:08 pm

Another question: If you'd want to say "You too" but you wanted it to be polite, would it be "~~san mo desu?" That sounds a bit weird to me, but I donno.
MFoogle

Postby Sairana » Fri 07.25.2008 6:14 pm

MFoogle wrote:Another question: If you'd want to say "You too" but you wanted it to be polite, would it be "~~san mo desu?" That sounds a bit weird to me, but I donno.

I think it sounds wierd, too. I would think 'kochira koso' would work in most instances where you would use "you too" in English. (It actually means that "I should be the one who.... [do whatever it is that the person just did/said]")

"I hope you have a nice day!"
"kochira koso" (I should be the one to say that)
Sairana

Native language: (US) English

Postby Mike Cash » Fri 07.25.2008 6:57 pm

Now that would sound weird.
Never underestimate my capacity for pettiness.
Mike Cash

Native language: English

Postby MFoogle » Fri 07.25.2008 7:24 pm

Mike Cash wrote:Now that would sound weird.

So what would the correct response be?
MFoogle

Postby Yudan Taiteki » Fri 07.25.2008 8:34 pm

To get an answer for that, first you have to come up with the Japanese equivalent of "I hope you have a nice day" that Japanese people actually say. (I don't think I've ever heard it myself.)
-Chris Kern
Yudan Taiteki

Postby MFoogle » Fri 07.25.2008 8:56 pm

Yudan Taiteki wrote:To get an answer for that, first you have to come up with the Japanese equivalent of "I hope you have a nice day" that Japanese people actually say. (I don't think I've ever heard it myself.)

Ok, well, in that case, let's just use "Ki o tsukete." Would I have to say "~san mo ki wo tsukete kudasai?"
MFoogle

Postby becki_kanou » Fri 07.25.2008 9:08 pm

MFoogle wrote:
Yudan Taiteki wrote:To get an answer for that, first you have to come up with the Japanese equivalent of "I hope you have a nice day" that Japanese people actually say. (I don't think I've ever heard it myself.)

Ok, well, in that case, let's just use "Ki o tsukete." Would I have to say "~san mo ki wo tsukete kudasai?"

Yup. Sounds fine.
Also, if you are close to A-san you can just say 「Aさん/ちゃん/くんもね!」(well, if you are female anyway...)
そうだ、嬉しいんだ、生きる喜び!
例え胸の傷が痛んでも。
becki_kanou

Skype chat: yes_becki
Native language: U.S. English, 米語

Postby AJBryant » Sat 07.26.2008 1:14 am

MFoogle wrote:

The thing is, you REALLY wouldn't say that unless there really were some concern that something might go wrong. Like if Mike were driving a truck laden with either toxic waste or explosive manga.

As a rule, although there are a lot of "empty politenesses" in Japanese speech, they don't mirror *our* empty politenesses like "how are you" or "take care" unless they REALLY mean the phrases in question.

Tony
AJBryant
Site Admin

Postby NocturnalOcean » Sat 07.26.2008 1:25 am

One version I sometimes hear, or read in sms, are :よい一日をね(abbreviated from よい一日を過ごしてね)

AJBryant wrote:
MFoogle wrote:

The thing is, you REALLY wouldn't say that unless there really were some concern that something might go wrong. Like if Mike were driving a truck laden with either toxic waste or explosive manga.

As a rule, although there are a lot of "empty politenesses" in Japanese speech, they don't mirror *our* empty politenesses like "how are you" or "take care" unless they REALLY mean the phrases in question.

Tony

You often hear this phrase when you depart with your friends, you might be taking the train home, or something. And they say "ki wo tsukete, kaette ne" or something similar like that.
失敗は成功の元
NocturnalOcean

Native language: Norwegian

Postby becki_kanou » Sat 07.26.2008 1:38 am

AJBryant wrote:The thing is, you REALLY wouldn't say that unless there really were some concern that something might go wrong. Like if Mike were driving a truck laden with either toxic waste or explosive manga.

Tony

Are you sure about that? While I admit I have never heard anyone say anything like "Have a nice day." in Japanese, I hear people say 「気つけて帰ってね!」all the time (as Nocturnal Ocean mentioned). Whenever I vist a friend they almost almost say it as they see me off at the door.
そうだ、嬉しいんだ、生きる喜び!
例え胸の傷が痛んでも。
becki_kanou

Postby Mike Cash » Sat 07.26.2008 3:42 am

AJBryant wrote:
MFoogle wrote:

Tony

No, we exchange the 気をつけて thing pretty much as a matter of course. It is one of those "empty politeness" phrases in the industry.
Never underestimate my capacity for pettiness.
Mike Cash

Postby AJBryant » Sat 07.26.2008 6:49 am

Really?

Things must be changing. I think it was pretty rare when I was there.

I have to wonder if that's an effect of exposure to Western stuff (movies, books, and TV) where that's said all the time....

Tony
AJBryant
Site Admin

Postby MFoogle » Sat 07.26.2008 10:21 pm

becki_kanou wrote:
AJBryant wrote:The thing is, you REALLY wouldn't say that unless there really were some concern that something might go wrong. Like if Mike were driving a truck laden with either toxic waste or explosive manga.

Tony

Are you sure about that? While I admit I have never heard anyone say anything like "Have a nice day." in Japanese, I hear people say 「気つけて帰ってね!」all the time (as Nocturnal Ocean mentioned). Whenever I vist a friend they almost almost say it as they see me off at the door.

But if I just add on "kudasai" to "ki wo tsukete kaette ne" to make it polite, would that just sound weird or would that be perfectly acceptable?
MFoogle

Postby becki_kanou » Sat 07.26.2008 10:35 pm

「気をつけて帰って下さい。」(Ki wo tsukete kaette kudasai) is fine, or if you wanted to be even more polite (if you were seeing off a well-respected person for example) you could say 「お気をつけてお帰り下さいませ。」(O-ki wo tsukete o-kaeri kudasaimase).
そうだ、嬉しいんだ、生きる喜び!
例え胸の傷が痛んでも。
becki_kanou

Postby Sairana » Sun 07.27.2008 11:34 am

Mike Cash wrote:Now that would sound weird.

And the bitter old man strikes again. Did you have a bad day?
Sairana

Native language: (US) English

PreviousNext

Return to Culture and Info about living in Japan