Learn Japanese with JapanesePod101.com

View topic - Advice with reading manga

Advice with reading manga

Have a textbook or grammar book that you find particularly helpful? What about a learning tip to share with others?

Re: Advice with reading manga

Postby Dustin » Wed 07.23.2008 11:11 pm

I think this is getting a little out of hand.
"For the love of Christ", this is a religious punch, and is offensive to people, including myself.
Normal internet slang, as well as swearing, is not permitted on these forums for the purpose of not being offensive as well as the fact that non-english speakers reading this forum will not understand our internet slang, and Trying to learn Japanese, Japanese speakers may be on these forums as well, or polygots that speak a few languages.

Robomonkey, please end this, it is not going to end well if this keeps going. Let's keep these forums clean, it's not a place to fight about politics, just follow the guidelines and help each other.
Everyone else, I see what you're doing, end this as well, if there is another post like that from him, then a simple ban is all it will take.

Arguing is not productive, everyone knows the rules now, let's just follow them and get along.

Peace?
Dustin

Native language: English

Postby robomonkey » Wed 07.23.2008 11:25 pm

Dustin_Calgary wrote:I think this is getting a little out of hand.
"For the love of Christ", this is a religious punch, and is offensive to people, including myself.
Normal internet slang, as well as swearing, is not permitted on these forums for the purpose of not being offensive as well as the fact that non-english speakers reading this forum will not understand our internet slang, and Trying to learn Japanese, Japanese speakers may be on these forums as well, or polygots that speak a few languages.

Robomonkey, please end this, it is not going to end well if this keeps going. Let's keep these forums clean, it's not a place to fight about politics, just follow the guidelines and help each other.
Everyone else, I see what you're doing, end this as well, if there is another post like that from him, then a simple ban is all it will take.

Arguing is not productive, everyone knows the rules now, let's just follow them and get along.

Peace?

I honestly never wanted a fight in the beggining all i asked was a question. If anyone didn't understand they should have just asked me to rewrite out properly =S im sorry that i broke the rules. Im new to this whole grammar rule and i need to get used to it. I can understand about the "they should know what im saying part" that was rude of me im sorry to any natives to that. But that Chakrai guy was beyond telling me he was edging me on :x Im more mature then this and again im sorry if i caused anyone problems.
robomonkey

Postby Dustin » Wed 07.23.2008 11:46 pm

Anyways, I hope my previous post on the subject helps out with the original subject. ^^
Dustin

Postby chikara » Thu 07.24.2008 12:00 am

"I'm sorry I hurt your feelings."

[Oni-fied]

Edit: Apparently asking people to lighten up and reinforcing that a previous tongue in cheek comment was just that is considered "poor conduct". :roll:
Last edited by chikara on Sun 07.27.2008 9:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Don't complain to me that people kick you when you're down. It's your own fault for lying there
chikara

Native language: English (Australian)

Postby furrykef » Thu 07.24.2008 1:40 am

robomonkey wrote:All i said was how does a capital make someone understand better.

To actually answer your question, it doesn't help people understand, but it helps people read more easily. That's why capital letters exist in the first place: the eyes "scan" text better with capital letters. Of course, if you're very accustomed to text that's in all lowercase, then maybe your eyes scan it almost as easily as text with capitals, but most of us here are not that accustomed to all-lowercase text.

- Kef
Founder of Learning Languages Through Video Games.
Also see my lang-8 journal, where you can help me practice Japanese (and Spanish, and Italian!)
furrykef

Native language: Eggo (ワッフル語の方言)

Postby Harisenbon » Thu 07.24.2008 2:05 am

robomonkey wrote:All i said was how does a capital make someone understand better.

As to how capitals help, I think you should view the Urban Dictionary entry on capitalization.
http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=Capitalization
Want to learn Japanese the right way? How about for free?
Ippatsu // Japanesetesting.com
Harisenbon

Native language: (poor) English

Postby Orcrist » Thu 07.24.2008 4:51 am

Good luck learning Japanese if you haven't mastered your native tongue yet.

As for the advice, grammar grammar grammer! And vocab vocab vocab! Grammer being the most important one at first, after that (depending on the manga you try to read) build a huge vocabulary. At first try to pick a manga with alot of normal every day conversation in it, if possible watch the anime of it beforehand (it will help you to understand the story line alot better, and it will help you learn the speech used by the characters/the emotion with which the characters talk). And I recommend not looking up every single word you don't know, it won't help and it will ruin your experience. What I usually do is looking up the words that appear frequently, and thus are essential to understanding the bigger picture. And since those words will be repeated alot, you will easily remember them because you get confronted with them all the time.
Orcrist

Native language: Dutch

Postby furrykef » Thu 07.24.2008 4:09 pm

Orcrist wrote:As for the advice, grammar grammar grammer! And vocab vocab vocab! Grammer being the most important one at first

Irony irony irony? ;)
Founder of Learning Languages Through Video Games.
Also see my lang-8 journal, where you can help me practice Japanese (and Spanish, and Italian!)
furrykef

Native language: Eggo (ワッフル語の方言)

Postby Yudan Taiteki » Thu 07.24.2008 4:30 pm

Language Log just had a post on Muphry's Law:
http://languagelog.ldc.upenn.edu/nll/?p=386
-Chris Kern
Yudan Taiteki

Postby chikara » Thu 07.24.2008 7:57 pm

Yudan Taiteki wrote:Language Log just had a post on Muphry's Law:
http://languagelog.ldc.upenn.edu/nll/?p=386

LOL :lol:

... but so true.
Don't complain to me that people kick you when you're down. It's your own fault for lying there
chikara

Native language: English (Australian)

Postby AGoddessFinch » Sun 07.27.2008 7:34 pm

"I'm bored."

[Oni-fied]
Looks like it's just me and you, Garbage Dog.
AGoddessFinch

Postby Oni » Sun 07.27.2008 9:05 pm

Robomonkey ← Thank you for cleaning up your messages, even if it's just a little. It helps a lot.
Dustin ← Thank you for being informative and kind. ^_^

This is an academic site. Please be kind and respect each other. ^_^
Oni, defender of noobs. - "Have you hugged a noob lately?"
http://n-one.deviantart.com/art/RAoK-quot-Hug-a-N00B-quot-30686603
Oni

Postby Sairana » Mon 07.28.2008 2:36 am

Holy censorship....

Are we going to be given a code of conduct to review for in the future, or is it going to be subjectively done?
Sairana

Native language: (US) English

Postby Mike Cash » Mon 07.28.2008 8:49 am

Arbitrarily and capriciously would be better.
Never underestimate my capacity for pettiness.
Mike Cash

Postby fielle » Mon 07.28.2008 1:23 pm

Capricious moderation keeps everyone on their toes! What will go next, nobody knows!
fielle

PreviousNext

Return to Learning Materials Reviews & Language Learning tips