Learn Japanese with JapanesePod101.com

View topic - My average day

My average day

Feel free to practice writing in Japanese or romaji. Help each other out with corrections or replying back in Japanese

My average day

Postby leonl » Tue 07.29.2008 7:05 pm

まいにちごぜんごじはんにおきてシャーワをあびます。ろくじはんごろがっこうにいきます。バスにのります。うちからがっこうまでバスでいちじかんはんかかりますとてもふべんです。げつようびからもくようびまでにほんごのクラスがあります。にほんごのクラスのなかにじゅうににんひとがいます。このクラスはさんじかんです。とてもおもしろいです。じゅうにじじゅうごふんに カフェテリアでひるごはんをたべます。いちじはんにうちへかえります。にじからごじまでうちでにほんごをべんきょうする。ろくじにばんごはんをたべます。にほんのたべものをよくたべます。たくさんテレビをみるのがだいすきです。しちじはんからじゅいちじはんまでテレビをみてコンピュタゲームをします。よるじゅにじにねます。
How sweet life would be if korean in origin were playstation, anime and Wii
http://lang-8.com/92836
leonl

Native language: 英語

Re: My average day

Postby richvh » Tue 07.29.2008 7:45 pm

バスにのります。

バスをのります。 But this is just the act of getting on the bus, not riding it to somewhere. You could say バスでがっこうにいきます。
うちからがっこうまでバスでいちじかんはんかかりますとてもふべんです。

This sentence is a bit beyond your ability at the moment. Put a period after かかります and it's okay. (Or if you want to stretch yourself, change かかります to plain form, and add から after it.)
にほんごのクラスのなかにじゅうににんひとがいます。

にじゅうににんのひとがいます or ひとがにじゅうににんいます, or just simply にほんごのくらすはにじゅうににんです, I think.
にじからごじまでうちでにほんごをべんきょうする。

べんきょうします, no reason to suddenly change to plain form here.
たくさんテレビをみるのがだいすきです。

I think this comes off as "I like to watch many televisions" rather than "a lot of television"; try テレビをよくみるのがだいすきです。
しちじはんからじゅいちじはんまでテレビをみてコンピュタゲームをします。

みて…します sounds like you finish watching TV, then play on the computer. み、…します would do, as would みたり、…したりします
Richard VanHouten
ゆきの物語
richvh

Postby becki_kanou » Tue 07.29.2008 9:53 pm

leonl wrote:まいにちごぜんごじはんにおきてシャーワをあびます。ろくじはんごろがっこうにいきます。バスにのります。うちからがっこうまでバスでいちじかんはんかかりますとてもふべんです。げつようびからもくようびまでにほんごのクラスがあります。にほんごのクラスのなかにじゅうににんひとがいます。このクラスはさんじかんです。とてもおもしろいです。じゅうにじじゅうごふんに カフェテリアでひるごはんをたべます。いちじはんにうちへかえります。にじからごじまでうちでにほんごをべんきょうする。ろくじにばんごはんをたべます。にほんのたべものをよくたべます。たくさんテレビをみるのがだいすきです。しちじはんからじゅいちじはんまでテレビをみてコンピュタゲームをします。よるじゅにじにねます。

First, this is just a stlye-peeve, but a big old wall of hiragana is rather tough to read so my advice would be either kanjify some of it or put in spaces.

richvh wrote:
バスにのります。

バスをのります。 But this is just the act of getting on the bus, not riding it to somewhere. You could say バスでがっこうにいきます。

I'll have to disagree with you on this. 「バスをのります」 is incorrect. Your second suggestion 「バスでがっこうにいきます」 is great.

「にほんごのクラスのなかにじゅうににんひとがいます。」
First of all, How many people are in the class? Since it's all in hiragana with no spaces it's tough to see if you mean 「クラスの中に12人 」(クラス の なか に じゅうににん) or 「クラスの中、22人」 (クラス の なか にじゅうににん) Which one is correct?
In either case it should be: このクラスの生徒(せいと)は22/12人(にん)です。
そうだ、嬉しいんだ、生きる喜び!
例え胸の傷が痛んでも。
becki_kanou

Skype chat: yes_becki
Native language: U.S. English, 米語

Postby NocturnalOcean » Wed 07.30.2008 9:09 am

becki_kanou wrote:
richvh wrote:
バスにのります。

I'll have to disagree with you on this. 「バスをのります」 is incorrect. Your second suggestion 「バスでがっこうにいきます」 is great.

Yeah it is definitly バスに乗る
失敗は成功の元
NocturnalOcean

Native language: Norwegian

Postby two_heads_talking » Wed 07.30.2008 1:01 pm

becki_kanou wrote:
leonl wrote:まいにちごぜんごじはんにおきてシャーワをあびます。ろくじはんごろがっこうにいきます。バスにのります。うちからがっこうまでバスでいちじかんはんかかりますとてもふべんです。げつようびからもくようびまでにほんごのクラスがあります。にほんごのクラスのなかにじゅうににんひとがいます。このクラスはさんじかんです。とてもおもしろいです。じゅうにじじゅうごふんに カフェテリアでひるごはんをたべます。いちじはんにうちへかえります。にじからごじまでうちでにほんごをべんきょうする。ろくじにばんごはんをたべます。にほんのたべものをよくたべます。たくさんテレビをみるのがだいすきです。しちじはんからじゅいちじはんまでテレビをみてコンピュタゲームをします。よるじゅにじにねます。

First, this is just a stlye-peeve, but a big old wall of hiragana is rather tough to read so my advice would be either kanjify some of it or put in spaces.。

Becki, we call that a WALL O' TEXT. even us interweb junkies hate it..

Wall o' text hits you
Wall o' text crits for 2587 damage.
you die..
two_heads_talking

Native language: English

Postby Pork Chop » Thu 07.31.2008 10:27 am

two_heads_talking wrote:
becki_kanou wrote:

First, this is just a stlye-peeve, but a big old wall of hiragana is rather tough to read so my advice would be either kanjify some of it or put in spaces.。

Becki, we call that a WALL O' TEXT. even us interweb junkies hate it..

Wall o' text hits you
Wall o' text crits for 2587 damage.
you die..

LOL

By the time I hit the まいにちごぜんごじはん。。。。my eyes started searching desperately for anything (kanji) to grasp onto; not finding anything my gaze slide down the block of text and eventually had to avoid it, at the risk of causing physical pain. Felt not-unlike a pigeon slamming into a window and sliding down.

Crazy thing is, there was a time when that Wall o' text might have been preferable. I guess we all go through that.
Last edited by Pork Chop on Thu 07.31.2008 11:21 am, edited 1 time in total.
Pork Chop

Postby Yudan Taiteki » Thu 07.31.2008 11:00 am

I didn't find it too problematic; it can help to read it out loud.

(Personally I think it's a great test of your Japanese ability to try to read all-hiragana text because it forces you to rely on the context and flow, and I think it can actually improve your oral abilities. But maybe a text with a bunch of errors in it isn't the best way to do that.)
-Chris Kern
Yudan Taiteki

Postby Pork Chop » Thu 07.31.2008 11:35 am

Yudan Taiteki wrote:I didn't find it too problematic; it can help to read it out loud.

(Personally I think it's a great test of your Japanese ability to try to read all-hiragana text because it forces you to rely on the context and flow, and I think it can actually improve your oral abilities. But maybe a text with a bunch of errors in it isn't the best way to do that.)

Yeah, you're right.
Having errors in it can also help though, because it's obvious when it doesn't "sound" right.

Giving it a second look:
しちじはんからじゅいちじはんまでテレビをみてコンピュタゲームをします。よるじゅにじにねます。
If those are 10s, they should be じゅう
Pork Chop

Postby leonl » Thu 07.31.2008 2:20 pm

First off thanks for all the advice regarding the grammar and misspellings, Everyone. As for the wall of hiragana, I can't get the ime to work for me, I have installed it,followed all the instructions and whenever I use the key combo for switching to Japanese text it just won't work. So I resorted to an old Japanese word processor I have but in order to use kanji/kanjify the text I have to know the kanji I'm looking for as it gives me anywhere from 2 to 10 choices. Anyway thanks again
How sweet life would be if korean in origin were playstation, anime and Wii
http://lang-8.com/92836
leonl

Native language: 英語

Postby Pork Chop » Fri 08.01.2008 11:48 am

I don't use Windows, so I probably can't step you through the troubleshooting process for IME; but I have experience with it and I know it can be very flakey.
I'd just make sure you added the input methods, as well as the eastern asian language support, and maybe even made Japanese the default - coz it's easier to switch back and forth from Japanese as the starting point.
If the menu still doesn't show up on your taskbar at the bottom, I'd look into seeing if you can download an update from windows or something.

I use Linux and my input method (scim) can be even more flakey. Sometimes the drop down menu stops working, or the icon stops showing up on my taskbar at boot time altogether - either of those without having changed anything. At the moment, I just hit CTRL-Space, and I'm able to switch back and forth from my default engine (Anthy) and English - so at least I can't complain about that.

When I was on computers I couldn't install IME on, I would cut and paste directly from WWWJdic; so I definitely feel your pain.
Pork Chop

Postby hyperconjugated » Fri 08.01.2008 2:01 pm

If you can't get IME to work, here is a temporary solution:
http://ajaxime.chasen.org/
It's neato.
Irgendwann fällt jede Mauer
hyperconjugated

Native language: Finnish

Postby two_heads_talking » Fri 08.01.2008 3:06 pm

hyperconjugated wrote:If you can't get IME to work, here is a temporary solution:
http://ajaxime.chasen.org/
It's neato.

Hey, that is pretty slick.. nice find.
two_heads_talking

Return to 日本語の練習 (Practice Japanese)