Learn Japanese with JapanesePod101.com

View topic - messing around

messing around

Feel free to practice writing in Japanese or romaji. Help each other out with corrections or replying back in Japanese

messing around

Postby Astral Abraxas » Wed 07.30.2008 1:09 am

I'm very slowly making my way through genki 1... anyways im practicing what i've learned (my vocabulary is limited to what has been taught in genki so far). I plan on building it up by reading tons once my grammar skills are better.

きのう、七時にぼくが友達と映画を見ました。それから、マクドナルドで一時間ぐらい食べました。十一時に家で寝ました。今日はお寺に行きました。ぼくがたくさんしゃしんを撮りました。デパートにも行きました。晩御飯はおいしかったです。ぼくが魚を食べました。
(Yesterday, at 7 with a friend I watched a movie. Then ate at McDonalds for about 1 hour. At 11 I went to sleep at my place. Today I went to a temple. I took many pictures. I went to a department store, too. Dinner was delicious. I ate fish.)

私:リーさん、テレビゲームをしましょうか?(Lee, lets play some video games?)
リー:ファイナルファンタジー6がありますか?(Do you have final fantasy 6?)
私:ええ、しませんか?(yeah, you want to play it?)
リー:はい、あとはマクドナルドで食べませんか?(Yes, after want to eat at McDonald's?)
私:あの。。。日本のレストランはどうですか?(Um...how about a Japanese restaurant?)
リー:いいですよ。ゲームはどこですか?(Sounds great. Where is the game?)
私:テレビと本の間です。(It's between the TV and books)
リー:ここです。(Here it is)
私:そうしましょう。(Lets do it(play it))

(I don't have any japanese multiplayer games xD. I can't even think of any. Oh well)
Astral Abraxas

Re: messing around

Postby Harisenbon » Wed 07.30.2008 1:41 am

The dialog looks pretty good to me, the only part I would consider changing is the 日本のレストラン. It sounds more like "a restraurant in Japan" than "Japanese food" to me, although that might just be me. I would suggest 和食はどうですか? for "How about Japanese food?"

Also, テレビと本の間 sounds kind of weird to me, but it's grammatically correct.
I'm just having trouble imagining a situation where you would have books propped up directly against a TV.

From your first part
きのう、七時にぼく友達と映画を見ました。それから、マクドナルドで一時間ぐらい食べました。十一時に家で寝ました。今日はお寺に行きました。ぼくたくさんしゃしんを撮りました。デパートにも行きました。晩御飯はおいしかったです。ぼく魚を食べました。

Finally, dinner is usually written without so much kanji 晩ごはん or 晩ご飯, although 晩御飯 is technically correct. 夕食 is also a good word for dinner.
Want to learn Japanese the right way? How about for free?
Ippatsu // Japanesetesting.com
Harisenbon

Native language: (poor) English

Postby clay » Wed 07.30.2008 2:15 am

(my vocabulary is limited to what has been taught in genki so far). I plan on building it up by reading tons once my grammar skills are better.

You are doing very well and that is a great plan to have (reading).
TheJapanShop.com- Japanese language learning materials
Checkout our iPhone apps: TheJapanesePage.com/iPhone
clay
Site Admin

Postby NocturnalOcean » Wed 07.30.2008 7:23 am

それから、マクドナルドで一時間ぐらい食べました。

In this sentence you are referring to an ongoing action in the past. You ate at McDonalds for about 1 hour.
In these cases it would be more proper to use 食べていました, or 食事をしていました。
Usually when you refer to ongoing events in the past you use ていた. Some contexts also ている is okey.(記録、経験などの場合).
失敗は成功の元
NocturnalOcean

Native language: Norwegian

Postby AJBryant » Wed 07.30.2008 7:57 am

Astral Abraxas wrote: I plan on building it up by reading tons once my grammar skills are better.

That is the singular best way to do it. As my profs used to say, once you have the grammar down, the only thing you have to do is build your vocabulary, and the best way to do that is read yer butt off. ;)

Tony
AJBryant
Site Admin

Native language: English

Postby Astral Abraxas » Wed 07.30.2008 1:40 pm

Harisenbon wrote:The dialog looks pretty good to me, the only part I would consider changing is the 日本のレストラン. It sounds more like "a restraurant in Japan" than "Japanese food" to me, although that might just be me. I would suggest 和食はどうですか? for "How about Japanese food?"

Also, テレビと本の間 sounds kind of weird to me, but it's grammatically correct.
I'm just having trouble imagining a situation where you would have books propped up directly against a TV.

From your first part
きのう、七時にぼく友達と映画を見ました。それから、マクドナルドで一時間ぐらい食べました。十一時に家で寝ました。今日はお寺に行きました。ぼくたくさんしゃしんを撮りました。デパートにも行きました。晩御飯はおいしかったです。ぼく魚を食べました。

Finally, dinner is usually written without so much kanji 晩ごはん or 晩ご飯, although 晩御飯 is technically correct. 夕食 is also a good word for dinner.

Thanks I completely agree with you on everything but 1 thing.

たくさんしゃしんを撮りました。

According to Genki 1 on page80 it says "Expressions of quantity in Japanese are rather different from those in English. In Japanese, if you want to add a quantity word like たくさん to the direct object of a sentence, you can either place it before the noun, or after the particle を."

Then it gives the example:

たくさん野菜を食べました。
or
野菜をたくさん食べました。

I don't know how to say "It's on the desk between the tv and the books". I can say one or the other but not both in the same sentence. How do I do that?

NocturnalOcean wrote:それから、マクドナルドで一時間ぐらい食べました。

In this sentence you are referring to an ongoing action in the past. You ate at McDonalds for about 1 hour.
In these cases it would be more proper to use 食べていました, or 食事をしていました。
Usually when you refer to ongoing events in the past you use ていた. Some contexts also ている is okey.(記録、経験などの場合).

I learn て form in the next lesson =).

ありがとうございます。
Astral Abraxas

Return to 日本語の練習 (Practice Japanese)