Learn Japanese with JapanesePod101.com

View topic - Do japanese people hates ugly and darkbrownskin foreigners?

Do japanese people hates ugly and darkbrownskin foreigners?

Post questions and answers about living or visiting Japan or the culture

Do japanese people hates ugly and darkbrownskin foreigners?

Postby angel8ren » Fri 08.01.2008 1:17 pm

My friend keeps on saying that she's ugly. So do I too. We're dark brown-skinned and kinda fat. We planned to go to Japan to study their for 4 years. We are bestfriends so we want the 2 of us. But we are worried if we will be bullied by many?
Do japanese people hate our looks?
`tsukky`o7_o8.:)
angel8ren

Re: Do japanese people hates ugly and darkbrownskin foreigners?

Postby two_heads_talking » Fri 08.01.2008 1:46 pm

If you don't like yourself, what does it matter if anyone else likes you?

This is one of those questions that just doesn't even need to be asked.

Moderators, do your thing..
two_heads_talking

Native language: English

Postby richvh » Fri 08.01.2008 2:03 pm

I advise you to read this thread and some of the threads here that discuss studying in Japan, and then rethink your plans because college in Japan is really expensive - you'd be better off going to a college in your own college that has an exchange program with a Japanese college. Not to mention that people are going to wonder how much of the instruction you understood.
Richard VanHouten
ゆきの物語
richvh

Postby AJBryant » Fri 08.01.2008 3:04 pm

angel8ren wrote:Do japanese people hate our looks?

Some probably will. There are always people like that everywhere. Ignore them. They're useless.

Most won't even give it a second thought.

Anyway -- Ahlen wa sahlen.

Tony
AJBryant
Site Admin

Postby ss » Fri 08.01.2008 8:28 pm

My friend keeps on saying that she's ugly. So do I too. We're dark brown-skinned and kinda fat.....

I see no reason why people should bully you because of that. If these people were so unreasonable, it's really not worth of being bothered by them. But then, you only talk about your physical look, nothing about your attitude and character, that's not quite fair to judge.

Truly there is something precious in you that even the hardest heart can be softened. Have faith and just be yourself. There are always great people, who can be "great in size". :twisted: :P
ss

Native language: English speaking family

Brown is Beautiful!!!

Postby HyruleHippie » Sat 08.02.2008 8:48 pm

I'm actually seriously concerned about this also. Several years ago (mostly in high school) I had serious issues with eating disorders, but I quite like myself now. However, I'm finishing up intermediate Japanese in 2 weeks and have to really think about entering the exchange program. I'm black and quite large (for any ladies who might understand the number, I'm a size 18 in pants).

I've been thinking a lot lately that I'd stick out enough in Japan with my dreadlocks, piercings, and DIY clothing, but that my weight would take it from being seen as quirky to just disgusting. >__<;;; I guess I tried so hard at the beginning of my study to get rid of my rose-colored glasses, that I've become bitter.

Since Americans are so grossed out by me when they're around "over"weight people all the time, what about in Japan? I'm concerned. I can't just diet or something. I have some health problems from dieting (plus I like how I look) and don't want to go there again.

Sorry for the rant, but angel8ren sounds a lot like me (especially me at 15-16 when i was Ms. Disordered-eating) and I still share some concerns...I promise I'll do an intro post in the proper forum. u__u
HyruleHippie

Postby clay » Sat 08.02.2008 9:25 pm

Well, as Tony and SS said, I wouldn't worry too much about what others think and just be yourself.

However, styles and attitudes you can easily control are worth considering. Non-ear piercings and other non-socially acceptable styles (I *think* dreadlocks should be fine) may be best left in your home country UNLESS you don't mind making a potentially sour first impression.

For example, I had very long hair in college. It was my choice and I had to accept the fact many people would think less of me for that. But it was my choice and I lived with it. (I cut my hair prior to going to Japan,though)

If you are very large, you may have some troubles. I'm not large (for American standards), but I have had some trouble on buses, trains, and small cars. Also, I'm 6' and I constantly bump my head (when I forget to duck) when I walk through doorways (my parents-in-law's house is quite old). So being large or tall can be a slight disadvantage in Japan, but it certainly doesn't make living in Japan impossible.
TheJapanShop.com- Japanese language learning materials
Checkout our iPhone apps: TheJapanesePage.com/iPhone
clay
Site Admin

Postby HyruleHippie » Mon 08.04.2008 9:36 am

thank you, everyone, that's comforting. I didn't mean to hijack >__<;;;

The only really weird piercing I have is in my septum, which is easily hidden or taken out. And I'm pretty sure that my dreads aren't offensive at all. They're much neater than cutting them off and having an afro T__T. That would be a disaster...Also, I'm quite short by American standards, so I think I'll be alright. ^__^

(Edited for typos)
HyruleHippie

Postby two_heads_talking » Mon 08.04.2008 10:02 am

As I mentioned before, if you like yourself, others will be more willing to accept or like you. REgardless of the color of your skin or your looks. Being overweight will definately make you stand out, as will the color of your skin, but your attitude about yourself will be even more obvious.

Hyrulehippie, you seem to have a healthy relationship with yourself. That will go along way to how others will accept you.. In simple terms, if you accept yourself and love yourself, others will do the same.
two_heads_talking

Postby clay » Mon 08.04.2008 4:04 pm

hear hear!
TheJapanShop.com- Japanese language learning materials
Checkout our iPhone apps: TheJapanesePage.com/iPhone
clay
Site Admin

Postby ss » Mon 08.04.2008 8:43 pm

HyruleHippie,

What Tony, Clay and uncle TH said.
Hyrule, being huge is how you are built, it’s not a sin, really no big deal. But do remember to exercise more to keep yourself healthy.

On the contrary, I’ve always found myself tiny when I’m with my western friends. Most of them are above 175cm, and big. But that is not a major problem, we still share and talk about many interesting stories and events and music and so on.

Partly, it also depends on who are those you want to hang around with. There are people, I believe, may be very special ones in your life, whom you want to cherish their friendships. In real life, you have plenty of opportunities to communicate face to face, which I think, makes life easier should there be any misunderstandings occur. Face it and talk about it.

I’m probably a silly girl who takes things too seriously on the internet. Till date, I still hate myself for not able to hold back my words which might cause harm or hurt to someone I respect and love very much, I can’t turn the clock back.

All I can do is sincerely apologize, rectify the matters the best I can, hoping our friendships will be fully restored one day. It probably takes time ..... I hope I could move on....
ss

Native language: English speaking family

Postby kyubisharingan » Thu 08.21.2008 12:18 pm

so..your basically asking you are black and ugly...and wondering if the japanese people will hate you...well, i dont know about the ugly part, but there is a big hip hop scene over there including reggea and stuff. So, japanese people actually like seeing black people, especially when they speak japanese (i speak from experience from living in Okinawa).
kyubisharingan

Postby AJBryant » Thu 08.21.2008 1:29 pm

Given that the poster is in Saudi Arabia, I don't think reggae is quite the issue. ;)

Tony
AJBryant
Site Admin

Postby two_heads_talking » Fri 08.22.2008 10:53 am

AJBryant wrote:Given that the poster is in Saudi Arabia, I don't think reggae is quite the issue. ;)

Tony

So you are telling me that we have no rastafarian Arabs? Well, there goes any semblence to racial equality.. Of course, I suppose it makes sense. The turbans and the dredlocks would make a terrible pairing..
two_heads_talking

Postby Wakannai » Fri 08.22.2008 9:51 pm

What would be the point of dreadlocks if you just put them under a funny hat?
Wakannai

Next

Return to Culture and Info about living in Japan