Learn Japanese with JapanesePod101.com

View topic - Comparing life in America to Japan

Comparing life in America to Japan

Post questions and answers about living or visiting Japan or the culture

Comparing life in America to Japan

Postby BrianM » Fri 08.01.2008 10:50 pm

I didn't see anything in the search section so I'm posting this here. This is question to those who have lived in America and now are in Japan.
How does life compare? Apartments, homes, way of life, job salary, etc.
I couldn't come to a complete conclusion after only being there 2 weeks but my impression is that it is pretty hectic in the city areas and calmer in the rural areas. And that Japan is a much better country than America.
BrianM

Native language: English/Portuguese

Re: Comparing life in America to Japan

Postby Yudan Taiteki » Fri 08.01.2008 10:56 pm

BrianM wrote:And that Japan is a much better country than America.

The most important thing I learned from living 2 years in Japan is that I never want to live there for more than a year at a time.
-Chris Kern
Yudan Taiteki

Native language: English

Postby becki_kanou » Fri 08.01.2008 11:50 pm

BrianM wrote:I didn't see anything in the search section so I'm posting this here. This is question to those who have lived in America and now are in Japan.
I couldn't come to a complete conclusion after only being there 2 weeks but my impression is that it is pretty hectic in the city areas and calmer in the rural areas. And that Japan is a much better country than America.

Looks like you still have on your rose-colored glasses.

What exactly does it mean to be "better"? That's such a subjective judgement anyway, I think it's well-nigh impossible to state categorically which country is better. There are many things that I prefer about living in Japan, but also many things that I prefer about living in the States.

I'm curious as to what you disliked about living in Japan though, Yudan... What made you feel that you'd only want to live there for a year at a time?
そうだ、嬉しいんだ、生きる喜び!
例え胸の傷が痛んでも。
becki_kanou

Skype chat: yes_becki
Native language: U.S. English, 米語

Postby BrianM » Sat 08.02.2008 12:43 pm

becki_kanou wrote:
BrianM wrote:I didn't see anything in the search section so I'm posting this here. This is question to those who have lived in America and now are in Japan.

Looks like you still have on your rose-colored glasses.

What exactly does it mean to be "better"? That's such a subjective judgement anyway, I think it's well-nigh impossible to state categorically which country is better. There are many things that I prefer about living in Japan, but also many things that I prefer about living in the States.

I'm curious as to what you disliked about living in Japan though, Yudan... What made you feel that you'd only want to live there for a year at a time?

It's not that I have rose colored glasses. I know there are disadvantages about living in Japan, although I don't know them yet. That's why I made this thread. I want some insight to why some people left the US for Japan or prefer to live in the states.
I think it's better, but I also think Europe is better than America. Living here all my life and visiting Europe every other year since I was born, you really see the differences. America to me, seems to be a country that doesn't care about it's people. My college, Rutgers, raised tuition 8.5% all the while, building a new football stadium....does that make sense?
BrianM

Postby Yudan Taiteki » Sat 08.02.2008 1:03 pm

Yes, because football is popular and brings money to the college.

Although I love football so I'm biased. :)
-Chris Kern
Yudan Taiteki

Native language: English

Postby BrianM » Sat 08.02.2008 1:17 pm

Yudan Taiteki wrote:Yes, because football is popular and brings money to the college.

Although I love football so I'm biased. :)

Lol, well that's what the dean said. I still think theres other ways but whatever, I'll be out of that hell hole in one year so it won't bother me thn :mrgreen:
BrianM

Postby Wakannai » Sat 08.02.2008 11:29 pm

BrianM wrote:I think it's better, but I also think Europe is better than America. Living here all my life and visiting Europe every other year since I was born, you really see the differences. America to me, seems to be a country that doesn't care about it's people.

You don't really see the differences by visiting. The only way to really see the differences is move there for an extended period of time. This goes for anywhere. Not just different countries.

When you visit, you're really just scratching the surface. The pretty surface that is deliberately presented the world.
Wakannai

Postby BrianM » Sat 08.02.2008 11:49 pm

Wakannai wrote:
BrianM wrote:I think it's better, but I also think Europe is better than America. Living here all my life and visiting Europe every other year since I was born, you really see the differences. America to me, seems to be a country that doesn't care about it's people.

You don't really see the differences by visiting. The only way to really see the differences is move there for an extended period of time. This goes for anywhere. Not just different countries.

When you visit, you're really just scratching the surface. The pretty surface that is deliberately presented the world.

Thats true and i know that. Thats why I want to try to go to Japan for a year, probably using the JET program or another program. That way I could see how real life is in Japan. That way I can make a better decision if I want to live there.
BrianM

Postby chikara » Sun 08.03.2008 10:31 pm

BrianM wrote:....... And that Japan is a much better country than America.

You won't get an argument from me on that one :P

I agree with Wakannai-san. Being a tourist anywhere, be it in your own country or another, gives you a very different view than actually living there. Not only are you only scratching the surface but also you tend to be in a different frame of mind and usually under different budgetary constraints than if you are actually living and working in a place.
Don't complain to me that people kick you when you're down. It's your own fault for lying there
chikara

Native language: English (Australian)

Postby Harisenbon » Sun 08.03.2008 11:54 pm

chikara wrote:
BrianM wrote:....... And that Japan is a much better country than America.

You won't get an argument from me on that one :P

Nor me. ;)

To be honest though, while I find that Japan is a much better fit FOR ME than America is, it's definately not everyone's cup of tea.
Every year I meet bushy-eyed, bright-tailed AETs who "Love Japan and are going to stay here forever because it's SO much better than america." Then they realize that their preconceptions are all false, start to hate Japan, and leave within a year or two.

Which is why you can never categorically say that any place is better than any other. It all matters about where YOU as a person fit in the best.

"Wherever you go. There you are."
Want to learn Japanese the right way? How about for free?
Ippatsu // Japanesetesting.com
Harisenbon

Native language: (poor) English

Return to Culture and Info about living in Japan