Learn Japanese with JapanesePod101.com

View topic - who is chatting now

who is chatting now

Spotted any errors or found anything that doesn't work?

who is chatting now

Postby katafei » Wed 07.23.2008 6:03 pm

I don't think the 'who is chatting now' button is working...
at least, on my pc, whenever I click that button, there is never anybody there? And it used to be quite crowded.
It makes me feel lonely....
(even though I never chat myself ^_^)
We are all but images of our time
katafei

Native language: Dutch; Female

Re: who is chatting now

Postby phreadom » Wed 07.23.2008 6:11 pm

Are you talking about the links on the Chat page that you get to by clicking the "Chat" link at the top of the site?

The problem with that link is that it points to a different server that is no longer in use. :( The chat server was moved onto this server and that functionality wasn't updated. (Someone else set all that up originally, it's all new to me.) I don't know (yet) how to re-enable that feature to work for the chat on this server. I suppose I could look into it, but I've got other things on my plate at the moment. ;)

Which chat are you using? Personally the Jabber based server is the one I'm always in (and there are a few of us on there right). While many people use Pandion, I personally use Pidgin as my client. :) There are instructions linked on how to get on that server.

I might go through and update that page to make it easier to get on.

Sorry for the trouble! Please continue to give me your feedback on this, it will help me figure out the best route to take to get this area of the site in better working order. :) Thanks!
猿も木から落ちる
phreadom
Site Admin

Native language: U.S. English (米語)

Postby katafei » Sun 08.03.2008 3:59 am

Sorry, bit late, but...
I meant the little yellow-faced icon on the top right-hand side of the site.
If you move your cursor over it, it shows 'who's chatting now', but there never seem to be many people chatting.
also, I noticed there are often more on-line people listed in the box on the left hand site of the site compared to the list on the bottom. where are these people?

Well, yeah, I've got a rich social life, that's why I notice these things :mrgreen:

(reminds me of a quote I read the other day:
If you notice this notice, then you will also notice this notice was not worth noticing)
katafei

Native language: Dutch; Female

Postby clay » Sun 08.03.2008 4:08 am

(reminds me of a quote I read the other day:
If you notice this notice, then you will also notice this notice was not worth noticing)

Funny!

The icon to the top right I *think* is for the Flashchat. I don't chat very much, but I think most people use the Pandian chat. So that may be why it is usually empty (although two people seem to be in there now).

also, I noticed there are often more on-line people listed in the box on the left hand site of the site compared to the list on the bottom. where are these people?

Those are the people in the forums. The other (missing) people are on the site, but not specifically in the forums.

We are working on the upgrade to this site. Currently we have a lot of broken links and inconsistencies like these two you found. We'll address these on the upgrade to make it better organized. Sorry about that! Please wait until we get done with the upgrade (don't know how long yet...)
TheJapanShop.com- Japanese language learning materials
Checkout our iPhone apps: TheJapanesePage.com/iPhone
clay
Site Admin

Postby becki_kanou » Sun 08.03.2008 4:46 am

clay wrote:The icon to the top right I *think* is for the Flashchat. I don't chat very much, but I think most people use the Pandian chat. So that may be why it is usually empty (although two people seem to be in there now).

I've actually gone into the flash chat a few times, but it's always deserted. I'd like to try the chat sometime too, but I just checked it and Pandion doesn't seem to be compatible with Mac. Are there any other chat options for Mac users?
そうだ、嬉しいんだ、生きる喜び!
例え胸の傷が痛んでも。
becki_kanou

Skype chat: yes_becki
Native language: U.S. English, 米語

Postby clay » Sun 08.03.2008 4:49 am

I'd like to try the chat sometime too, but I just checked it and Pandion doesn't seem to be compatible with Mac. Are there any other chat options for Mac users?

I am positive there are Mac options, but I don't know. Phreadom is working on a much better chat explanation page. I'll try to download Pandion now so I can 'learn' how to chat a little :)
clay
Site Admin

Postby becki_kanou » Sun 08.03.2008 4:53 am

clay wrote:
I'd like to try the chat sometime too, but I just checked it and Pandion doesn't seem to be compatible with Mac. Are there any other chat options for Mac users?

I am positive there are Mac options, but I don't know. Phreadom is working on a much better chat explanation page. I'll try to download Pandion now so I can 'learn' how to chat a little :)

Thanks for the quick reply! If you do find Mac options, let me know!
そうだ、嬉しいんだ、生きる喜び!
例え胸の傷が痛んでも。
becki_kanou

Postby clay » Sun 08.03.2008 5:07 am

Well, I'm a chat newbie. We'll have to wait until Phreadom wakes up. :wink:
clay
Site Admin

Postby Sairana » Sun 08.03.2008 5:25 am

Have you tried Pidgin? I'm pretty sure it works on Macs, too. You can also use it as an all-in-one chat program for MSN, Yahoo, and AIM accounts under one buddy list.
Sairana

Native language: (US) English

Postby phreadom » Sun 08.03.2008 5:35 am

Yes, Pidgin is a cross platform client.

You might want to check out http://www.adiumx.com/ to see if that works for you as well. :)

I don't have a Mac to test these out on, but basically any Jabber client should work.

Let me know if you have any questions or trouble trying to sign on. (Odds are you're going to have to "sign up" to the server. ie; create an account on the server. There should be some kind of button or option when you go to setup your login for doing that.)
猿も木から落ちる
phreadom
Site Admin

Native language: U.S. English (米語)

Postby clay » Sun 08.03.2008 6:39 am

Yes,I just installed Pandian and had to 'setup' my account. It was very easy. I'm now chatting away.
clay
Site Admin

Postby becki_kanou » Sun 08.03.2008 9:26 am

Thanks guys I think I figured it out a bit.

I still can't seem to find the list of available chatrooms though. I'll dig around a bit more but if anyone has any advice that'd be wonderful as I'm really not a very tech-savvy person, to tell the truth.
そうだ、嬉しいんだ、生きる喜び!
例え胸の傷が痛んでも。
becki_kanou

Postby clay » Sun 08.03.2008 10:21 pm

In Pandian you have to click on 'Join a Conference Room.' So you have to manually join a group. But since you are connecting to the TJP server, it should list the active rooms.

I'm on right now (and will probably stay on most of the day). If you don't see any menu saying 'conference room' or 'chat room' please let us know.
clay
Site Admin

Postby Harisenbon » Sun 08.03.2008 11:50 pm

becki_kanou wrote:Thanks guys I think I figured it out a bit.

I still can't seem to find the list of available chatrooms though. I'll dig around a bit more but if anyone has any advice that'd be wonderful as I'm really not a very tech-savvy person, to tell the truth.

Once you log on to Pidgin, you need to go to tools>Room List
From there, select the TJP account. it should look like "becki_kanou@chat.thejapanesepage.com/Home
Then click "get list" and select the room you want to go into.

If you select a room and then click "add chat" you can add it to your buddy list and make it easier to go into when you logon
Want to learn Japanese the right way? How about for free?
Ippatsu // Japanesetesting.com
Harisenbon

Native language: (poor) English

Postby Jap-kitty » Wed 12.17.2008 5:39 pm

i'm sooooooooooooooooo lost

i wanna go on the chat room but i'm lost i've downloaded both Pidgin and the 1 sergested on here and i'm still not goetting anywhere.
Jap-kitty

Next

Return to Problems