Learn Japanese with JapanesePod101.com

View topic - What are we getting into?

What are we getting into?

Have a textbook or grammar book that you find particularly helpful? What about a learning tip to share with others?

Re: What are we getting into?

Postby Ragevx1 » Sun 08.03.2008 7:01 pm

Well actually I'm only studying like 5 consonant a day (x)a, (x)i, (x)u, (x)e, (x)o, so its easy too digest and moving at my own pace, since this is self-study and pressure free. That just about 30 to 1 hour a day max. It makes my life studying this a lot easier and somewhat fun, I'm able too spot, pronounce and spell what I've learnt so far... not much but I hope i'll get too the point of being able to survive in Japan for awhile one day. This is something that many people should be able too do, not impressive... but I don't want to go through all the memorizing in a day... I find it a lot easier to digest little at a time, plus it makes learning/remembering easier.

By the way, what workbook would you recommend from TheJapanShop for beginners?
Ragevx1

Postby Sairana » Sun 08.03.2008 10:16 pm

Ragevx1 wrote:By the way, what workbook would you recommend from TheJapanShop for beginners?

The one that accompanies the textbook you buy.

Textbook should come before the workbook. All the explanations are in the textbook, the workbooks just assume you've already read the lesson.
Sairana

Native language: (US) English

Postby Ragevx1 » Sun 08.03.2008 10:18 pm

Yeah its what I meant, which would be the best Textbook too start with... for a beginner assuming that I have learnt how to pronounce, write and decipher Hiragana and Katakana into Romaji?
Ragevx1

Postby richvh » Sun 08.03.2008 10:23 pm

Richard VanHouten
ゆきの物語
richvh

Postby Ragevx1 » Sun 08.03.2008 10:35 pm

I just read thru it... and I think Genki would be good... but is it good for self-study (home learning) alone without any professional guidance?
Ragevx1

Postby solidsnake360 » Mon 08.04.2008 8:16 pm

I'm no expert, but I'd say that Genki is great for self study, as it is the one I am also using, along with Japanese For Everyone. It does a really great job of explaining things clearly. If you ever had a question, you could probably get it answered here on the boards. Just make sure to get the workbooks to get extra reading and writing practice and the audio for listening practice, especially if you don't have a Japanese person available.
solidsnake360

Postby Ragevx1 » Mon 08.04.2008 8:32 pm

Hey, you know I never really thought of it that way... by the way, just too be clear, when we say "Genki" we all mean "Genki 1 - An integrated course in elementary japanese" right?... Its the only one I find in Beginners. Plus is the "Genki 1 Workbook" the one that accompanies "Genki 1 - An integrated course in elementary japanese" along with "Genki 1 Student CD"?

So in other words, does "Genki 1 - An intergrated course in elelmentary japanese", "Genki 1 workbook" and "Genki 1 student CD" make a full set? (If thats what you guys mean when you say "Genki"
Ragevx1

Postby solidsnake360 » Mon 08.04.2008 8:43 pm

Ragevx1 wrote:Hey, you know I never really thought of it that way... by the way, just too be clear, when we say "Genki" we all mean "Genki 1 - An integrated course in elementary japanese" right?... Its the only one I find in Beginners. Plus is the "Genki 1 Workbook" the one that accompanies "Genki 1 - An integrated course in elementary japanese" along with "Genki 1 Student CD"?

So in other words, does "Genki 1 - An intergrated course in elelmentary japanese", "Genki 1 workbook" and "Genki 1 student CD" make a full set? (If thats what you guys mean when you say "Genki"

By Genki we mean both Genki 1 and Genki 2, along with their respective workbooks and CDs. However, If you're just starting out, the Genki 1 stuff should be more than enough for now, and you can get the Genki 2 stuff later. Also, you might want to get the answer key if you want to make sure you are getting the answers correct.
solidsnake360

Postby Ragevx1 » Mon 08.04.2008 10:30 pm

ok cool thanks, also I'd like too know, are the instructions in the book and stuff in English... or in Japanese, I'd hate too have to buy a book with Japanese instructions... it would be like throwing away all that money.
Ragevx1

Postby chikara » Mon 08.04.2008 10:46 pm

Ragevx1 wrote:..... also I'd like too know, are the instructions in the book and stuff in English... or in Japanese .....

Think about it. Would you expect the instructions in a book designed to teach non-Japanese speakers Japanese to be in Japanese? :)
Don't complain to me that people kick you when you're down. It's your own fault for lying there
chikara

Native language: English (Australian)

Postby solidsnake360 » Tue 08.05.2008 12:15 am

chikara wrote:
Ragevx1 wrote:..... also I'd like too know, are the instructions in the book and stuff in English... or in Japanese .....

Think about it. Would you expect the instructions in a book designed to teach non-Japanese speakers Japanese to be in Japanese? :)

And on top of what Chikara said, you could have just clicked the preview images on the Genki store page and seen what it's like on the inside. As a matter of fact I suggest you do that before you buy the book anyways and make sure you like it before you buy it.
solidsnake360

Postby clay » Tue 08.05.2008 2:01 am

If you are going with Genki (probably a very good choice), I'd say you need at least the textbook. The CDs would be nice for listening and pronunciation practice, but not 100% necessary. The workbook would probably only be good if you had a teacher or someone who could correct your answers.
TheJapanShop.com- Japanese language learning materials
Checkout our iPhone apps: TheJapanesePage.com/iPhone
clay
Site Admin

Postby HyruleHippie » Sun 08.10.2008 3:16 pm

I quite liked Genki I and II. I would say that the Genki I text and audio are all you need right now. If you do the exercises from the text before listening to that section of the audio you will be able to correct yourself.

Without someone to correct your answers(or the answer key), you may just teach yourself bad habits that need correcting later.

Don't ignore your writing, though. You can use the resources here as hiragana/katakana writing practice sheets rather than the Genki workbook.
HyruleHippie

Previous

Return to Learning Materials Reviews & Language Learning tips