Learn Japanese with JapanesePod101.com

View topic - Monster Hunter Freedom 2

Monster Hunter Freedom 2

Discuss games, Japanese as well as non-Japanese.

Monster Hunter Freedom 2

Postby Dimension » Tue 07.29.2008 5:11 pm

Any Monster Hunter fans in here? As it is the most popular PSP game in Japan as far as I know and pretty popular outside as well I figured there must be some people who play it or have at least heard of it.

I love this game, I've put 200 hours in it on and off, right now is an off period actually but what's good about it is that it's so easy to get into even when you haven't played it for a long time. It's just like learning to ride a bicycle, you just don't forget how to do it.

To start off a discussion I want to ask, how much time have you put into the game and what weapons are your main?

As stated above, I'm on 200 hours and I'd say I'm best with Hammer and Great Sword. But I've decided that someday I'm gonna become good with Gunlances as well because I kinda just love that you can both stab and shoot monsters with it. Watching pros using Gunlance is pretty amazing!

I've got xlink Kai so if anyone wants to play with me I'd be happy to as soon as I get the time! :D
Dimension

Native language: Swedish

Re: Monster Hunter Freedom 2

Postby geekman » Tue 07.29.2008 7:25 pm

Woot! Yes my friend i love Monster Hunter, but i have only recently started playing freedom 2, i used to be a veteran on the Original Monster Hunter on the Playstation 2.

well i think I'm at around 20 hours and my best Armour is full Basarios and best weapon is Eager cleaver.

id be glad to play with you if i could only get my Xlink to work >.>
Boxing Kirby! O-(-_-Q)
geekman

Postby becki_kanou » Tue 07.29.2008 9:35 pm

I'm more a fan of FF-Tactics myself, but hubby is addicted to G2. He's sitting nearby drinking coffee and playing as I type this. He says he has a 鉄刀 but I have no idea if that's any good or not.
そうだ、嬉しいんだ、生きる喜び!
例え胸の傷が痛んでも。
becki_kanou

Skype chat: yes_becki
Native language: U.S. English, 米語

Postby Dimension » Wed 07.30.2008 6:28 pm

Nice to hear that at least someone plays this game! The Eager Cleaver is a very good weapon in the beginning but the further you get it's better to drop the Long Swords (in most cases) because they're really not that very good compared to other weapons (since they can't block) and they just don't deal as much damage. They are not worthless though and have their uses for sure (great for cutting tails). Yeah it'd be fun to play with you, but yeah I know it is a real hassle to get the xlink working. The easiest way to do it is to format your computer and then go by any of the tutorials on the net, that way there'll be nothing to get in the way. A format may be taking it far for some people, but it's good for your computer in general to do a reformat once in a while.

I haven't gotten myself to play G2 yet as I'm not yet finished with MHF2, but it's starting to tempt me more and more the more I hear about it. I don't know if what he has is good since 1. I haven't gotten myself to play G2 yet, and 2. I just simply can't read that kanji :lol:

And yes, I love FF Tactics as well! One of my favorite games ever is the old game to the PS that has recently been remade to the PSP. The story is one of the best and the actual gameplay is fun and challenging (love customizable games like FFT). Are you playing that one or the new one to the DS (FFT A2 that is)? I haven't played FFT A2 yet, but I will as soon time allows.
Dimension

Postby geekman » Thu 07.31.2008 3:44 am

Thanks for the Advice :D, but i have one question, how do you even talk in Mhf2 online? :?
Boxing Kirby! O-(-_-Q)
geekman

Postby Dimension » Thu 07.31.2008 4:41 am

Xlink Kai works like a chat software so when you create channels for people to join your game you can chat with them as well (you can also join others). So that means you can just chat on the computer before games and in game as well and not through some awkward "on the PSP" chat function. Another real handy function is that you can keep a friends list which lets you keep track of online/offline friends, send private messages and join their channel in just one click. It's a great software :D
Dimension

Postby becki_kanou » Thu 07.31.2008 9:49 am

Dimension wrote:I haven't gotten myself to play G2 yet as I'm not yet finished with MHF2, but it's starting to tempt me more and more the more I hear about it. I don't know if what he has is good since 1. I haven't gotten myself to play G2 yet, and 2. I just simply can't read that kanji :lol:

I didn't realize there were so many versions. Monster Hunter's not my thing, since I lack the requsite manual dexterity and always end up running into a wall and getting killed. Hubby bought Monster Hunter 1 for me, and we played it together... once. Then I bought him the PSP update of FFT and he played it... once. So now we both just stick to the games we prefer.

And yes, I love FF Tactics as well! One of my favorite games ever is the old game to the PS that has recently been remade to the PSP. The story is one of the best and the actual gameplay is fun and challenging (love customizable games like FFT). Are you playing that one or the new one to the DS (FFT A2 that is)? I haven't played FFT A2 yet, but I will as soon time allows.

Yup, that's the one I'm talking about. I'm kind of off it at the moment though because I spent several hours leveling up a bunch of Ninja/Thieves with Sunken State to go steal all the Genji equipment from Elmdor, only to find out that (unlike in the US PS1 version) it's unstealable.

Oh my God! Did I just write that? Shhh.... please don't tell anyone what a huge geek I am. :lol:
そうだ、嬉しいんだ、生きる喜び!
例え胸の傷が痛んでも。
becki_kanou

Postby Dimension » Thu 07.31.2008 7:04 pm

becki_kanou wrote:Yup, that's the one I'm talking about. I'm kind of off it at the moment though because I spent several hours leveling up a bunch of Ninja/Thieves with Sunken State to go steal all the Genji equipment from Elmdor, only to find out that (unlike in the US PS1 version) it's unstealable.

Oh my God! Did I just write that? Shhh.... please don't tell anyone what a huge geek I am. :lol:

I'm gonna tell EVERYONE :twisted: Shout box, here I come!
Spoiler:
Just kidding :P

Ha ha but yeah I was like that too, "Imma gonna go steal some Genji equipment from Elmdor :twisted:", then I read somewhere that you can't, and lots of hours were wasted :P I haven't really finished the PSP version though, I was playing it for a while then I got into a period when I just didn't have time to play games and when I got back to play it I had forgotten where all my characters were headed and well, I just lost the spark. Now when I'm out from school for an unspecified amount of time I'll probably find time to get back to it. The new translation was actually very good and the new CG movies were made in a nice sketchy fashion as well.

By the way, if I recall correctly, I'm quite sure you can get the Genji equips any many other new fancy equips from the multiplayer mode. Haven't tried that mode out yet though so I'm not sure.

And a recommendation for you, if you haven't played any of the Disgaea games, make sure you do after you've finished FFT. There is a port for the PSP. One of the best SRPGs out there.
Dimension

Postby becki_kanou » Thu 07.31.2008 10:43 pm

Dimension wrote:
becki_kanou wrote:Yup, that's the one I'm talking about. I'm kind of off it at the moment though because I spent several hours leveling up a bunch of Ninja/Thieves with Sunken State to go steal all the Genji equipment from Elmdor, only to find out that (unlike in the US PS1 version) it's unstealable.

I'm gonna tell EVERYONE :twisted: Shout box, here I come!
Spoiler:
Just kidding :P

Ha ha but yeah I was like that too, "Imma gonna go steal some Genji equipment from Elmdor :twisted:", then I read somewhere that you can't, and lots of hours were wasted :P I haven't really finished the PSP version though, I was playing it for a while then I got into a period when I just didn't have time to play games and when I got back to play it I had forgotten where all my characters were headed and well, I just lost the spark. Now when I'm out from school for an unspecified amount of time I'll probably find time to get back to it. The new translation was actually very good and the new CG movies were made in a nice sketchy fashion as well.

By the way, if I recall correctly, I'm quite sure you can get the Genji equips any many other new fancy equips from the multiplayer mode. Haven't tried that mode out yet though so I'm not sure.

And a recommendation for you, if you haven't played any of the Disgaea games, make sure you do after you've finished FFT. There is a port for the PSP. One of the best SRPGs out there.

Thanks for the recommendation of Disgaea, I may just check it out!

Unfortunately I don't have anyone to play multiplayer with as Hubby doesn't enjoy the game and only ever made about 2 each of level 2-3 squires and chemists, whereas my guys are all level 73-76 ninjas and lancers and calculators and dancers and what have you.

BTW: Don't you just love "Nameless Dance"? Slowly watching all the enemies turn into a bunch of sleeping, poisoned, confused frogs is the best!
そうだ、嬉しいんだ、生きる喜び!
例え胸の傷が痛んでも。
becki_kanou

Postby Harisenbon » Thu 07.31.2008 11:27 pm

I will second Disgaea. 1,2 and 3 are amazing both in story and playstyle.
Of course to really get into the item crafting and super-power stuff you almost have to be OCD in your fighting/item management.

The just released Disgaea on the DS with local and wifi multiplayer. I'm probably going to be picking that up soon so I can beat the snots out of my friends in some good SRPG action. :mrgreen:

hmm.. This post was much more rambling than I meant it to be. :/
Want to learn Japanese the right way? How about for free?
Ippatsu // Japanesetesting.com
Harisenbon

Native language: (poor) English

Postby becki_kanou » Thu 07.31.2008 11:36 pm

What does the S stand for in SRPG? Simulation?

Edit: Nevermind, I realized I should just google it and I did.
そうだ、嬉しいんだ、生きる喜び!
例え胸の傷が痛んでも。
becki_kanou

Postby two_heads_talking » Fri 08.01.2008 10:52 am

becki_kanou wrote:What does the S stand for in SRPG? Simulation?

Edit: Nevermind, I realized I should just google it and I did.

It stands for strategy, however, most RPG don't or can't fit into the strategy genre, so it's really misleading. Most people call them TRPG, or tactical RPG..

The main problem with SRPG/TRPG is that if you don't level your party correctly or lose the wrong party members, you risk starting over at the very beginning, and that blows chunks.
two_heads_talking

Native language: English

Postby Dimension » Fri 08.01.2008 3:38 pm

Harisenbon wrote:I will second Disgaea. 1,2 and 3 are amazing both in story and playstyle.

Wow, so you've played Disgaea 3 :O I'm so envious! How would you say it holds up to the other 2? Pretty good? :D
becki_kanou wrote:BTW: Don't you just love "Nameless Dance"? Slowly watching all the enemies turn into a bunch of sleeping, poisoned, confused frogs is the best!

You mean the Dancer skill? Actually, I've never made a dancer. The thought just never came to me. But I bet it's a great skill :) If there's something I'm a fan of, it's dual-wielding monks. They're unstoppable!
Dimension

Postby Harisenbon » Sun 08.03.2008 11:34 pm

two_heads_talking wrote:It stands for strategy, however, most RPG don't or can't fit into the strategy genre, so it's really misleading. Most people call them TRPG, or tactical RPG..

Really? In my (JP) experience, people call games like FFT "SRPGs" and games like Dungeons and Dragons "TRPGs" (Table-Talk RPGs).
Of course, that may just be because I'm a TRPG gamer, so I hear the distinction alot. ;)
Want to learn Japanese the right way? How about for free?
Ippatsu // Japanesetesting.com
Harisenbon

Native language: (poor) English

Postby becki_kanou » Sun 08.03.2008 11:49 pm

Harisenbon wrote:
two_heads_talking wrote:It stands for strategy, however, most RPG don't or can't fit into the strategy genre, so it's really misleading. Most people call them TRPG, or tactical RPG..

Really? In my (JP) experience, people call games like FFT "SRPGs" and games like Dungeons and Dragons "TRPGs" (Table-Talk RPGs).
Of course, that may just be because I'm a TRPG gamer, so I hear the distinction alot. ;)

Do you mean table-top, like the old-school pen and paper and D6 RPGs? I used to play a lot in high-school and college; particularly Cybergen and Vampire, and I even LARPed as well... (I think my geek score is just getting higher and higher every time I post in this thread...)

BTW what system is Disgaea? I was looking for it at the shop yesterday, but I didn't see it. I need a few games to play on the plane back to the States (summer vacation, YEAH!). I picked up the new Yoshi's Island for DS, but a new RPG would be cool as well.

Dimension wrote:You mean the Dancer skill? Actually, I've never made a dancer. The thought just never came to me. But I bet it's a great skill If there's something I'm a fan of, it's dual-wielding
monks. They're unstoppable!

I never make dancers per se , but I like to take a really strong female character, say a monk or a lancer and giver her dance as a secondary skill. That way she can hold her on on attacks, and frogify the enemies.
そうだ、嬉しいんだ、生きる喜び!
例え胸の傷が痛んでも。
becki_kanou

Next

Return to Games