Learn Japanese with JapanesePod101.com

View topic - How easy is it too find a japanese person?

How easy is it too find a japanese person?

Have a textbook or grammar book that you find particularly helpful? What about a learning tip to share with others?

How easy is it too find a japanese person?

Postby Ragevx1 » Mon 08.04.2008 3:49 pm

Yeah, I've been thinking since I started trying to learn the language... how easy is it to find a Japanese person, to be honest... I have never seen a Japanese person in my life (maybe I have, but could not recognize or distinguish between the 3 main Asian races. I'd like too actually find a Japanese study partner or something... In Canada, Montreal.
Ragevx1

Re: How easy is it too find a japanese person?

Postby Sairana » Mon 08.04.2008 4:27 pm

This is kind of a goofy question because it sounds like something you'd say about an item you're trying to find at market. Even if you "find" a local Japanese person, it'd be awkward to just walk up to them and say "Hi! I'm learning Japanese, wanna help me?" It's unnatural and would probably kinda freak them out.

On the other hand, you could look into your local colleges/universities. See if they have any language or cultural exchange type clubs where you may be able to attend (clubs don't always require you be a student. There's no harm in calling them up and asking if you can attend).

There's also language exchange websites out there... it's pretty easy to find them on Google and such. Finding a penpal or a skype chat partner is probably a lot easier than attempting to acquire a real live Japanese person of your very own.

Let me give you this bit of warning..... if your Japanese is very, very basic, a native Japanese speaker will be of very little help to you, even if they know English pretty well.
Sairana

Native language: (US) English

Postby Mike Cash » Mon 08.04.2008 5:32 pm

I find myself practically tripping over them. Shall I send you a few?
Never underestimate my capacity for pettiness.
Mike Cash

Native language: English

Postby Ragevx1 » Mon 08.04.2008 6:24 pm

Well you make them sounds scary, but I guess it is true what you say.. finding a local Japanese and not being able too meet em right away.

it would be nice if you can introduce me some Japanese people, sure I'd like too meet with one, MSN... and no adults, I don't feel comfortable with personally knowing an adult, maybe if that person is like... around 17 I'd be cool with that.

By the way, I don't literally mean meeting up with a Japanese, but it would be nice, it was just a question too be more specific.
Last edited by Ragevx1 on Mon 08.04.2008 7:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ragevx1

Postby richvh » Mon 08.04.2008 6:59 pm

I bet there's a fair number of adults you already personally know. Not to mention the fact that you can't personally know someone unless, you know, you meet them in person.
Richard VanHouten
ゆきの物語
richvh

Postby Ragevx1 » Mon 08.04.2008 7:17 pm

Well yeah, but there's the problem between older people and young people, we don't think the same way, so conversations don't go far. And I certainly don't want someone just too learn Japanese with, it doesn't make it thrilling if we can't joke around.
Ragevx1

Postby chikara » Mon 08.04.2008 7:37 pm

Ragevx1 wrote:.... it would be nice if you can introduce me some Japanese people, sure I'd like too meet with one, MSN... and no adults, I don't feel comfortable with personally knowing an adult, maybe if that person is .... around 17 I'd be cool with that......

Do you feel uncomfortable around your parents?
Don't complain to me that people kick you when you're down. It's your own fault for lying there
chikara

Native language: English (Australian)

Postby Ragevx1 » Mon 08.04.2008 8:02 pm

That's a silly question, haha. Of course not, i've been around them all my life, its like this, i don't feel comfortable with new adults, its just me... I don't mind communicating with them, but being around them all the time gives this awkward feeling
Ragevx1

Postby richvh » Mon 08.04.2008 8:15 pm

A person you only interact with occasionally in a chat program is not exactly going to be around you all the time - especially one who is on the other side of the globe.
Richard VanHouten
ゆきの物語
richvh

Postby Ragevx1 » Mon 08.04.2008 8:27 pm

Yeah true, but its still just a feeling I get the other end or not
Ragevx1

Postby Harisenbon » Mon 08.04.2008 10:51 pm

Mike Cash wrote:I find myself practically tripping over them. Shall I send you a few?

Do you take custom orders?
Want to learn Japanese the right way? How about for free?
Ippatsu // Japanesetesting.com
Harisenbon

Native language: (poor) English

Return to Learning Materials Reviews & Language Learning tips