Learn Japanese with JapanesePod101.com

View topic - Site Upgrades

Site Upgrades

Spotted any errors or found anything that doesn't work?

Site Upgrades

Postby clay » Thu 07.24.2008 8:14 am

The server was down for about two hours just now. This was because the database was choked on a flood of requests.

Phreadom and I are working hard (Oni & Pam will join us next week!) on upgrading the site to Drupal 6 (currently the site is Druapl 5). I can't show you yet, but the upgraded site will:

1) Look much better
2) Be much faster (I believe it is much faster)
3) Be much more organized
4) Admin section is MUCH better (not too helpful for most members, but it will make life nice for admins)

I've been very disappointed at how haphazard this new setup has been. The biggest problem was Drupal is VERY complex and we all had very little Drupal experience. So, building this current site was literally learn-as-we-go. We are building the new version of TJP from the ground up. It will be super clean compared to the current site.

I'll update here with progress. We don't know exactly how long this will take. The basic data transfer can be done in a week, but Phreadom has to tie the new site with the forums and a few other very complexed issues.

Sorry for the downtime but we deeply appreciate your patience!!
TheJapanShop.com- Japanese language learning materials
Checkout our iPhone apps: TheJapanesePage.com/iPhone
clay
Site Admin

Re: Site Upgrades

Postby AJBryant » Thu 07.24.2008 6:56 pm

You guys are my heroes. :)

Tony
AJBryant
Site Admin

Native language: English

Postby clay » Fri 07.25.2008 12:36 am

It is a great honor coming from the face of Mifune Toshiro!

I am VERY pleased with our progress on the new version. We won't know how quickly we can move over until Phreadom figures out the forum and user migration issue, but the bulk of the site content should be pretty much ready next week!

I *think* everyone will be pleasantly surprised with the new site. :P
clay
Site Admin

Postby clay » Thu 08.07.2008 9:45 pm

We are making great progress!

With yesterday's server crash (most likely caused by this current software we are using), we are trying to speed up the upgrade process.

The goal is to have the site moved (or at least ready for the move) by the end of August (this month). It shouldn't be ANYthing like the last time.

Basically this is how it will go down:

1) The current site files and database will be backed-up
2) The upgraded site (which we are developing now on this same server) files and database will be copied over the current site

So basically there won't be any 'are we on the new server yet?!' problems like before. It is the same server. However, it will take time (maybe 1-2 hours) to make sure the data is restored properly.

Well, that's the plan. :lol:
clay
Site Admin

Postby AJBryant » Fri 08.08.2008 11:12 am

Ah, yes. The Plan. Gotta love The Plan. ;)

My fingers are crossed. Of course, with the folks we have working on it, I really have no worries. You have some good guys out there, Clay. I'd buy you all a beer if we were in the same izakaya.

Tony
AJBryant
Site Admin

Native language: English

Return to Problems