Learn Japanese with JapanesePod101.com

View topic - Adjective dilemna

Adjective dilemna

Have a Question about some Grammar point? Share it with the world!

Adjective dilemna

Postby Nirokujichuu » Sat 10.22.2005 6:11 pm

Hello! I'm new to the forum, and, I have a little predicament. I'm self-teaching Japanese, as I can't find any real tutors around my area. Right now, I'm only focusing on hiragana, and nothing more. But, I'm creating a new screen name, and, I have a grammar question. I am trying to write "Forsaken Angel", in romaji. I've searched around, but, what I've come up with is "Mikirina Mitsukai" ... But, I'm thinking, since I didn't use any form of past tense, that this means "Forsaking Angel" ... Can anyone help me out? Arigato gozaimasu! ^.^ /)
-Bryan
Nirokujichuu

RE: Adjective dilemna

Postby InsanityRanch » Sat 10.22.2005 6:35 pm

How about "misuteta tenshi"?
"Give me a fruitful error any time, full of seeds, bursting with its own corrections. You can keep your sterile truth for yourself." -- Vilfredo Pareto
InsanityRanch

Postby aoeuaoeuaoeu » Sat 10.22.2005 7:19 pm

見捨てた天使, I second that ;)
Last edited by aoeuaoeuaoeu on Sat 10.22.2005 7:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
aoeuaoeuaoeu

Postby Harisenbon » Sun 10.23.2005 1:45 am

Acutually, that would be "forsaking angel," would it not? I beleive you need to put it in passive form
見捨てられた天使

There's also a word for fallen angel, if you'd rather use something like that.
堕天使 - datenshi
Want to learn Japanese the right way? How about for free?
Ippatsu // Japanesetesting.com
Harisenbon

Native language: (poor) English

Postby Nirokujichuu » Sun 10.23.2005 10:35 am

Datenshi is taken ^^; And, I don't know Kanji, only still learning hiragana .. So, Harisenborn, how would you right 見捨てられた天使 in Romaji?
-Bryan
Nirokujichuu

Postby Nirokujichuu » Sun 10.23.2005 10:44 am

Hm .. I decided to do some cutting and pasting into my NJSTAR .. And, looked around for grammar structures .. Wouldn't misuteta be right after all? It's the plain-past tense of Misute, I thinks.
-Bryan
Nirokujichuu

Postby InsanityRanch » Sun 10.23.2005 11:20 am

Harisenbon is right. s/b misuterareta tenshi. Mea culpa -- was thinking in English syntax somehow rather than japanese.

Shira
"Give me a fruitful error any time, full of seeds, bursting with its own corrections. You can keep your sterile truth for yourself." -- Vilfredo Pareto
InsanityRanch

Postby AJBryant » Sun 10.23.2005 1:26 pm

"Misuteta tenshi" is "angel who forsook".

"Misuterareta tenshi" is "angel who was forsaken."

Pretty simple, really.

Tony
AJBryant
Site Admin

Native language: English

Postby InsanityRanch » Sun 10.23.2005 2:31 pm

It IS simple... but a little tricky, too.

Where my thought process went wrong is, I went looking for "abandon", found misuteru, thought, "so abandoned s/b misuteta" and stopped there, without realizing that this was the *passive* abandoned. What's that buzzer sound Japanese people make when you screw up? <g> Soon as I saw Harisenbon's post I thought, oh yeah, of course.

But hey, I'm not embarrassed by mistakes as long as I try to learn from them. I've been studying for 3 1/2 years now and it will probably be that long again before I can claim something close to fluency. I suppose I'll make LOTS more mistakes in the meantime!

Shira
InsanityRanch

Postby Nirokujichuu » Sun 10.23.2005 10:32 pm

Ahh ... Yeah, I get ya'. I'm pretty new to learning the language, so I'm not familiar with a lot of the grammar. Almost finished with hiragana, though, and once I get katakana out of the way and start learning Kanji, hopefully I'll be able to get into the actual structure of sentences. Anyway, thanks a ton. :D This board rocks.
-Bryan
Nirokujichuu

Postby Harisenbon » Sun 10.23.2005 11:30 pm

I would like to point out that while passive (and causitive form) is simple to conjugate, it is an intermediate grammar point that most people don't start learning until their 3rd or 4th year of Japanese. If you're just starting with hiragana and katakana, I wouldn't worry about it very much. ;)

そして、簡単と言う言葉が本当に人による事だから、勝手に「これは簡単」と言ったらちょっと気にかけないことだと思います。
Want to learn Japanese the right way? How about for free?
Ippatsu // Japanesetesting.com
Harisenbon

Native language: (poor) English

Postby ryuubu » Mon 10.24.2005 11:40 pm

Yeah causative and passive are a tad annoying. Though it makes you sound so much smarter when you use it haha.
ryuubu

Return to Grammar Questions and Problems