Learn Japanese with JapanesePod101.com

View topic - Yakuza's

Yakuza's

Post questions and answers about living or visiting Japan or the culture

Yakuza's

Postby Ragevx1 » Tue 08.12.2008 8:18 pm

Yeah, the title should have at least given you a brief idea of what I em about too ask.

So I was reading through a whole bunch of threads in the forum and etc... and somehow because someone mentioned the Yakuza's... I was wondering... if Japan is so peaceful, and love too meet new people (foreigners who speak English) how can there be such a big gang like Yakuza's in Japan and still be peaceful?

I'm sure people who live there have something to say about the gang, and people outside of Japan have some thoughts on them. I'd like to hear what you guys think
Ragevx1

Re: Yakuza's

Postby chikara » Tue 08.12.2008 8:24 pm

Yakuza's what? :)

A country having organised crime doesn't necessarily make it any less peaceful for the general population.
Don't complain to me that people kick you when you're down. It's your own fault for lying there
chikara

Native language: English (Australian)

Postby Ragevx1 » Tue 08.12.2008 8:33 pm

Yeah, I guess if you look at it from that perspective... but I've been reading stuff from Wikipedia and other resources, they're bigger then the government (I might be mistaken or did not read my source correctly) but, its kind of info I got about them... but when i come to think of it, it might be outdated or something, since I'm now reading how great a friendly they are. Sounds like going too a new world, where your very fascinating. But if that's true... why are they still fascinated with a new guy but is the same as the previous? (I know the 2nd is a bit off-topic)
Ragevx1

Postby chikara » Tue 08.12.2008 9:02 pm

Bigger than the government in what way? Total revenue?

Where do you live?

We have the mafia, outlaw bikie gangs, Vietnamese organised crime gangs and Chinese organised crime gangs here to name a few but I can't say I have ever been directly affected by any of these. I haven't noticed it make anybody I know less friendly.

In my visits to Japan I have never been aware of any yakuza.
Don't complain to me that people kick you when you're down. It's your own fault for lying there
chikara

Postby Ragevx1 » Tue 08.12.2008 9:10 pm

Well, in terms of power... but as I said, might be a mistake. It's the first thing that come to my mind when Yakuza come up 'Bigger then the government in terms of power', probably because I have no knowledge on them and the first things I've read about them becomes the knowledge on that since I haven't searched them much.

I live in Canada, and yes it is true what you are saying on how it doesn't really affects us. To be honest (not to be racist in any way)... I live in a area where black people are numerous (not really numerous, but when they are together they are numerous)... and I feel threatened when I em passing them... why you might ask? Stories and looks.
Ragevx1

Postby chikara » Tue 08.12.2008 9:22 pm

Ragevx1 wrote:.... I live in Canada, .....

I suggest you read this report on organised crime in Canada then. It might give you something closer to home than the yakuza to worry about ;)
chikara

Postby Ragevx1 » Tue 08.12.2008 9:43 pm

Well that was kind of a waste of time... just detailed information about criminal activities in Canada... but I'm pretty sure there are gangs in Canada... but what I mean is, Yakuza is pretty big... I don't think Canada has a big gang like that..
Ragevx1

Postby chikara » Tue 08.12.2008 10:20 pm

Ragevx1 wrote:..... Yakuza is pretty big... I don't think Canada has a big gang like that..

Yakuza aren't one "gang" just as the mafia aren't just one gang. There aren't ~ 90K criminals all acting together.
chikara

Postby Harisenbon » Wed 08.13.2008 12:29 am

chikara wrote:In my visits to Japan I have never been aware of any yakuza.

My family has a few Yakuza clients.
They got the city to fix the sewer drainage for our house because the city was taking too long to get out here. They also want us to teach their son English. Not too sure about how I feel about that. :shock:
Want to learn Japanese the right way? How about for free?
Ippatsu // Japanesetesting.com
Harisenbon

Native language: (poor) English

Postby chikara » Wed 08.13.2008 1:47 am

Harisenbon wrote:..... They also want us to teach their son English. Not too sure about how I feel about that. :shock:

I guess it depends on how you feel about having all your fingers :wink:
chikara

Postby Ragevx1 » Wed 08.13.2008 9:46 am

Surprised to hear that, I have always thought they were thugs and reckless people
Ragevx1

Postby Yudan Taiteki » Wed 08.13.2008 1:43 pm

Yakuza are thugs, but "thug" doesn't mean that they hate everyone and never do anything nice for anyone.
-Chris Kern
Yudan Taiteki

Native language: English

Postby Mike Cash » Wed 08.13.2008 2:34 pm

Ragevx1 wrote:Surprised to hear that, I have always thought they were thugs and reckless people

It's not like they're European soccer fans, if that's the idea you had.
Never underestimate my capacity for pettiness.
Mike Cash

Native language: English

Postby gfunk » Wed 08.13.2008 7:07 pm

Mike Cash wrote:
Ragevx1 wrote:Surprised to hear that, I have always thought they were thugs and reckless people

It's not like they're European soccer fans, if that's the idea you had.

You might want to call it "football" if you don't want to see our recklessness Mr. Cash. :wink:

While walking back home with my roommate (an English teacher), we would go through an area apparently well known for it's gang. Only once I saw them, and instead of threatening us, or acting "recklessly thuggish", all I heard was screams offering sensei a cigarette. Nice guys though.
gfunk

Postby Ragevx1 » Wed 08.13.2008 7:25 pm

So, the real world isn't what it seems eh?
Ragevx1

Next

Return to Culture and Info about living in Japan