Learn Japanese with JapanesePod101.com

View topic - What's your favorite manga?

What's your favorite manga?

Anything relating to Anime or Manga - what's new, what you like, etc...

Re: What's your favorite manga?

Postby mandelak » Sat 07.05.2008 1:27 am

right now i've started reading Soul Eater. it is awesome and easily makes it to my top 5 list
mandelak

Postby Mikuru » Mon 08.04.2008 7:07 am

20th's century boys created by Naoki Urasawa, but I must wait for the publication of the last volumes in Europe. I liked Akira very much also!
Mikuru
Mikuru

Postby HyruleHippie » Sun 08.10.2008 3:53 pm

Mikuru wrote:20th's century boys created by Naoki Urasawa

I agree! 20世紀少年 is fabulous!!! I just picked up the last 3 volumes (raw) at Otakon this weekend. It takes forever for me to read, but it's worth it to say "I'm studying" whilst figuring out ともだち/Friend's scheming ways.

A masterpiece.

Another of my favorite's is Kindaichi Files/金田一少年の事件簿. It's a collection of fantastically twisted murder mysteries. Absolute genius.
HyruleHippie

Postby Yudan Taiteki » Sun 08.10.2008 4:26 pm

20th CB was awesome up until about volume 17 or 18, then it got on shaky ground and never really recovered, although the conclusion was fine. Monster is a much more consistent and overall better series, IMO.
-Chris Kern
Yudan Taiteki

Native language: English

Postby Harisenbon » Mon 08.11.2008 12:40 am

Yudan Taiteki wrote:20th CB was awesome up until about volume 17 or 18, then it got on shaky ground and never really recovered, although the conclusion was fine. Monster is a much more consistent and overall better series, IMO.

apparently there's a movie coming out next (this?) month.
I had never heard of the manga before, but have been seeing the ads on TV for the past few weeks.

Still trying to decide if it looks amazingly cool, or amazingly dissapointing...
Want to learn Japanese the right way? How about for free?
Ippatsu // Japanesetesting.com
Harisenbon

Native language: (poor) English

Postby HyruleHippie » Mon 08.11.2008 9:59 am

Harisenbon wrote:
Yudan Taiteki wrote:20th CB was awesome up until about volume 17 or 18, then it got on shaky ground and never really recovered, although the conclusion was fine. Monster is a much more consistent and overall better series, IMO.

apparently there's a movie coming out next (this?) month.
I had never heard of the manga before, but have been seeing the ads on TV for the past few weeks.

Still trying to decide if it looks amazingly cool, or amazingly dissapointing...

Both of you are very right. Monster was awesome! Psychological types of stories are my favorite. ^__^

I haven't been keeping up with the 20CB movie because I don't want to get excited and then let down completely. I think 20CB could have ended much sooner. I can't help but feel that Urasawa was urged(read: forced) to continue longer than he would have liked. Just like Akira Toriyama and DB/DBZ/DBGT.

I actually read 20CB as a fan translation last year, but want to read it in the original Japanese. There are actually some interesting things i noticed. For example, the kanji for "I'm a 20th century boy" came up, beside it was the katakana for the ENGLISH (I don't have the manga with me right now, so I apologize if the quote is wrong). Either way, I thought that was a nice touch. ^0^

[edited for typos]
HyruleHippie

Postby darkneko14 » Wed 08.13.2008 12:39 pm

i like the The Wallflower, and gravitation manga ^_^
darkneko14

Postby MMSCB » Tue 08.19.2008 4:16 pm

My favourite Manga is Yotsuba&! (yotsuba to, よつばと). I have the first and the third book, but not two and the others because I don't know where to get them. I've only read the first one. I just want to read the books in order.
MMSCB

Postby richvh » Tue 08.19.2008 4:26 pm

Sasuga Books has volumes 1-7 of Yotsuba to.
Richard VanHouten
ゆきの物語
richvh

Postby mandelak » Mon 08.25.2008 12:50 am

i have now included fairy tail to my manga list and it is pretty awesome. ohh and one piece. i hate the show, but the manga is awesome.

my top 5 list is

1. Air Gear
2. Naruto
3. One Piece
4. Fairy Tail
5. Bleach

ive started reading a manga called the breaker as well, but it doesnt get updated often. its pretty cool too
mandelak

Postby vkladchik » Sat 08.30.2008 10:01 pm

The only manga I've ever enjoyed were なにわ金融道, アドルフに告ぐ, and ブッダ. 行け稲中卓球部 was pretty good, too. (Has anyone even heard of these, or are they totally obscure?) Is anyone writing anything like なにわ金融道 these days?
/v   http://soul-sides.com   /~\
vkladchik

Native language: Spanish

Postby Yudan Taiteki » Sat 08.30.2008 10:45 pm

vkladchik wrote:The only manga I've ever enjoyed were なにわ金融道, アドルフに告ぐ, and ブッダ. 行け稲中卓球部 was pretty good, too. (Has anyone even heard of these, or are they totally obscure?) Is anyone writing anything like なにわ金融道 these days?

なにわ金融道 was covered in one of Fredrick Schodt's books, but it's not the kind of thing that most non-Japanese would have read. Adolf and Buddha both have English translations so they may be well known. The other one I don't know.
-Chris Kern
Yudan Taiteki

Native language: English

Postby Harisenbon » Sun 08.31.2008 10:37 pm

Yudan Taiteki wrote:
vkladchik wrote:The only manga I've ever enjoyed were なにわ金融道, アドルフに告ぐ, and ブッダ. 行け稲中卓球部 was pretty good, too. (Has anyone even heard of these, or are they totally obscure?) Is anyone writing anything like なにわ金融道 these days?

なにわ金融道 was covered in one of Fredrick Schodt's books, but it's not the kind of thing that most non-Japanese would have read. Adolf and Buddha both have English translations so they may be well known. The other one I don't know.

Inachu is/was rather popular in Japan, and was released in america as a comic and a tv show.
It was marked in the states as "The South Park of Japan," I believe.
Want to learn Japanese the right way? How about for free?
Ippatsu // Japanesetesting.com
Harisenbon

Native language: (poor) English

Postby matrixkungfu » Fri 09.05.2008 12:05 am

My favorites are: Naruto, One Peice and some DBZ.
matrixkungfu

Postby vkladchik » Fri 09.05.2008 2:09 am

Harisenbon wrote:Inachu is/was rather popular in Japan, and was released in america as a comic and a tv show.It was marked in the states as "The South Park of Japan," I believe.

Yeah, that's about right. I read it when I first came to Japan. It was hilarious, in that surreal way only the structure-loving Japanese can manage.

By the way, I recently found out that there is a なにわ金融道. I definitely recommend the first series to anyone interested in how loan shark companies used to work in Japan. It's a fantastic introduction to the underbelly of Japanese society, because the writer uses these loan sharks as a plot device to shine a light on many different things: how soaplands actually hire girls, the difference between 軟禁 and 監禁 as seen from a yakuza perspective, the importance of a signature, the role of lawyers in Japanese society, and so on. It's probably a bit dated by now, what with プロミス and whatnot, but a lot has stayed the same. I'm looking forward to reading the continuation.
/v   http://soul-sides.com   /~\
vkladchik

Native language: Spanish

PreviousNext

Return to Anime and Manga Discussions