Learn Japanese with JapanesePod101.com

View topic - Help with this confusing book! :)

Help with this confusing book! :)

Have a textbook or grammar book that you find particularly helpful? What about a learning tip to share with others?

Re: Help with this confusing book! :)

Postby Kumani » Sat 07.26.2008 5:24 pm

Mike Cash wrote:
Kumani wrote:
Let me show you an example from what I was reading yesterday:

下 sa(garu/geru), shita, kuda(saru), GE, KA

It's exactly written like that.

I've never even seen the book but I would bet grandpa's last clean colostomy bag that it has a helpful explanatory section in the very front that you totally ignored.

See, that's where your ignorance comes in 'cause you obviously wouldn't know that I asked for help for a reason. I've read the whole book that I understood from page to page and it clearly did not say that. Yup..

Well, I'm done with this thread now, you guys turned it into stupidity, see ya. :wink:
Kumani

Postby Mike Cash » Sat 07.26.2008 6:43 pm

It clearly did not say what?

You mean to tell us there is nothing anywhere in the book that explains their convention for transliterating kanji readings?
Never underestimate my capacity for pettiness.
Mike Cash

Native language: English

Postby hungryhotei » Sat 07.26.2008 7:51 pm

Kumani wrote:
See, that's where your ignorance comes in 'cause you obviously wouldn't know that I asked for help for a reason. I've read the whole book that I understood from page to page and it clearly did not say that. Yup..

On page ix (the section on Kanji) it says:
The on readings are used mainly in pronouncing combinations of two or more kanji (compounds). In the third column in Part II of this book, they are written in capital letters. If a kanji is used as an individual character, the Japanese or kun reading is generally used. This reading is given in small letters.

The section also explains why there are multiple on readings, and that they are only listing the most common ones.
天気がいいから、散歩しましょう。
hungryhotei

Native language: English

Postby furrykef » Sat 07.26.2008 8:12 pm

Kumani wrote:Well, I'm done with this thread now, you guys turned it into stupidity

The stupidity here is in refusing to listen to us. There is a reason that we are trying to tell you that your studying method is wrongheaded.

- Kef
Founder of Learning Languages Through Video Games.
Also see my lang-8 journal, where you can help me practice Japanese (and Spanish, and Italian!)
furrykef

Native language: Eggo (ワッフル語の方言)

Postby Miaow » Thu 08.14.2008 12:55 pm

I have "Kanji ABC", and I believe it will be more helpful to people who have at least learned all/most of the kanji as introduced in a beginner text, like "Reading Japanese", "Japanese: The Written Language", "Basic Kanji 1 and 2", or "Japanese for Everyone Kanji Book".

I think "Kanji ABC" might be helpful in learning the differences between similar kanji and I feel that this book would be most useful in intermediate kanji study. It has no exercises, and I know *I* need exercises that allow you to practice the kanji in context.
= ^. .^ =
~Miaow~
にゃあにゃあ
Miaow

Previous

Return to Learning Materials Reviews & Language Learning tips