Learn Japanese with JapanesePod101.com

View topic - So frustrated; can't learn hiragana.

So frustrated; can't learn hiragana.

Japanese, general discussion on the language

Re: So frustrated; can't learn hiragana.

Postby two_heads_talking » Wed 08.13.2008 2:29 pm

revolutionary wrote:
two_heads_talking wrote:Revolutionary, as you have probably found out, not everyone learns things at the same rate of speed, nor at the same level of comprehension. It's not uncommon at all to find 30 people that learn hiragana at different rates, so you are not unique at all.

That's a relief. I sure would hate to be unique. :wink: It is reassuring, though. From what I read on the boards, it seemed like everyone should have been posting "OMG hiragana is teh eEzee you is dum!!111!!" I don't know why everyone would type like that, but they do in my imagination. .

Touché being unique is nice, but knowing that you aren't alone in not getting hiragana quickly is perfectly normal. As for the "OMG hiragana is teh eEzee you is dum!!111!!" posters.. More than likely, they still haven't mastered their own native tongue and their own credibility is shot before they post up any of their results. I have found, in my many years of life, that the person who boasts the loudest, is usually the person who should least be boasting at all. In other words, the louder the chant, the more insecure the chanter.. Do you see where I am going with this?

If not, just think of it this way. learn at your own pace and don't compare yourself to others. It won't help you in the long run, and so what if they learn faster? There isn't an award given to those wholearn faster, so big deal..
two_heads_talking

Native language: English

Postby revolutionary » Wed 08.13.2008 3:37 pm

Thanks for the encouragement, and you're entirely right about boasters. It's very frustrating to see elitist attitudes, especially on boards like these where everyone is here to learn. A lot of people do tend to brag about how quickly they learn hiragana (not just here; I've seen it elsewhere). I'd rather learn slowly and properly than learn quickly and perhaps not have a solid enough foundation to build upon later. Of course, there are those who did learn the kana well in a short amount of time, and I wouldn't considering it bragging if they were to mention it. Like you pointed out, it's all dependent upon the individual learner. I wasn't so much upset with my pace as I was with my lack of progress, if that makes sense at all.

I am getting there. I did another chapter at IHOP while we were waiting for our server to bring breakfast this morning. Things are flowing smoothly. Once I'm finished with this book, I'll move on to some reading comprehension exercises. I want to do something outside of a textbook, so I'm looking up resources now.
Last edited by revolutionary on Wed 08.13.2008 5:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Less perfect, more free
revolutionary

Postby clay » Wed 08.13.2008 5:06 pm

I am getting there. I did another chapter at IHOP while we waiting for our server to bring breakfast this morning.

Ummm... IHOP. I'm starting to get a little homesick for... food. :) We are in Japan right now but will probably head back to Florida in September. I'm already planning what restaurants to hit. (Love Japan, but washoku doesn't thrill me like a good burrito with hot sauce does)

Sorry you are having so much trouble, but it is good to hear you are conquering the kana. Once you find your learning style, stick with it.
TheJapanShop.com- Japanese language learning materials
Checkout our iPhone apps: TheJapanesePage.com/iPhone
clay
Site Admin

Postby revolutionary » Wed 08.13.2008 8:46 pm

They have these new pancakes down at IHOP called the "Discover America" pancakes. Today I tried the Louisiana Bananas Foster. Extremely おいしい! I think I'll go back again and rediscover America sometime soon.

Not that I'm trying to torture you. We moved to the Inland Empire from Orange when I was five. That was back when there was nothing here (it was a big deal when we got a Walmart...). I missed IHOP terribly until earlier this year when they built one ten minutes from my house. I guess I'm trying to say I can sympathize.
Less perfect, more free
revolutionary

Postby clay » Thu 08.14.2008 3:05 am

Not that I'm trying to torture you.

Oooouuuch!

We got Megumi's (my daughter) passport today so I called the airlines to get an earlier flight home. (receiving the passport was the last bit of business we had to do before returning) Unfortunately the earliest open flight for all of us is September 22nd. Still, that is two weeks earlier than before.

I love being in Japan, but 1) I don't have an international driver's permit, 2) we don't have anytime access to the car and most importantly 3) we are guests and not 'home.' Other reasons of course include IHOP and helping out with TheJapanShop.com's operations again.

...But going to Book-Off and buying a Japanese DS game will certainly help :) I've been trying to go for the past few days now :( Maybe today?
clay
Site Admin

Postby Pork Chop » Thu 08.14.2008 4:02 pm

Wow Clay, you're leaving the day before I fly out to Japan.
It's going to be my first time going anywhere on Honshuu (mainland) outside of the airport - usually just go straight to Okinawa.
We're staying 2 days in Tokyo.

Just to help out revolutionary, I figured I'd quote some Henshall and the origins of each hiragana (I can do katakana later if folks want).

あ from 安 か from 加 さ from 左 た from 太 な from 奈 は from 波 ま from 末 や from 也
い from 以 き from 幾 し from 之 ち from 知 に from 仁 ひ from 比 み from 美
う from 宇 く from 久 す from 寸 つ from 州 ぬ from 奴 ふ from 不 む from 武 ゆ from 由
え from 衣 け from 計 せ from 世 て from 天 ね from 禰 へ from 部 め from 女
お from 於 こ from 己 そ from 増 と from 止 の from 乃 ほ from 保 も from 毛 よ from 与

ら from 良 わ from 和
り from 利
る from 留
れ from 礼
ろ from 呂
Pork Chop

Postby Ragevx1 » Thu 08.14.2008 6:58 pm

Hmmm looks interesting... but if he's only at Hiragana right now, how is he suppose too decipher the non-hiragana's?
Ragevx1

Postby Yudan Taiteki » Thu 08.14.2008 8:00 pm

Ragevx1 wrote:Hmmm looks interesting... but if he's only at Hiragana right now, how is he suppose too decipher the non-hiragana's?

I was going to ask how pork chop thought that table would be of any help to someone struggling with hiragana.
-Chris Kern
Yudan Taiteki

Postby revolutionary » Thu 08.14.2008 10:04 pm

Ragevx1 wrote:Hmmm looks interesting... but if he's only at Hiragana right now, how is he suppose too decipher the non-hiragana's?
Do I look like a he? God, there goes my self-esteem. :?
Yudan Taiteki wrote:I was going to ask how pork chop thought that table would be of any help to someone struggling with hiragana.
I think pork chop posted that because of my question in my last post of the first page of the thread. I was wondering how the shapes of the kana and the kanji they came from originated.
Less perfect, more free
revolutionary

Postby chikara » Thu 08.14.2008 10:57 pm

revolutionary wrote:.... I did another chapter at IHOP while we were waiting for our server to bring breakfast this morning. ......

IHOP? Internet Hyper Olfactory Protocol?
If I configure one of my servers to run under that protocol will it bring me breakfast? :)
Don't complain to me that people kick you when you're down. It's your own fault for lying there
chikara

Native language: English (Australian)

Postby clay » Thu 08.14.2008 11:48 pm

IHOP? Internet Hyper Olfactory Protocol?

I guess the International House of Pancakes isn't so International :lol:
clay
Site Admin

Postby chikara » Fri 08.15.2008 12:02 am

clay wrote:I guess the International House of Pancakes isn't so International :lol:

I can't recall ever seeing one even when I lived in the USA but probably did and the "IHOP" just didn't register. :oops:
Don't complain to me that people kick you when you're down. It's your own fault for lying there
chikara

Native language: English (Australian)

Postby solidsnake360 » Fri 08.15.2008 12:56 am

WHOA, IHOP stands for International House of Pancakes? Learn something everyday. You see, in Canada, we don't have IHOP. I always thought it was just a company name.
solidsnake360

Postby Dustin » Fri 08.15.2008 2:44 am

I beg to differ!!

I grew up in Kelowna, BC, Canada now living in Calgary.
My wife and I ALWAYS go to the IHOP when we visit Kelowna!

All the Canadian locations however are in BC, don't ask me why.
Dustin

Postby solidsnake360 » Fri 08.15.2008 3:19 am

Ahh, I see. I'm in Toronto and I've never seen one in my life haha.
solidsnake360

PreviousNext

Return to Japanese General Discussion