Learn Japanese with JapanesePod101.com

View topic - So frustrated; can't learn hiragana.

So frustrated; can't learn hiragana.

Japanese, general discussion on the language

Re: So frustrated; can't learn hiragana.

Postby chikara » Fri 08.15.2008 3:35 am

According to IHOP.com they have restaurants in USA (49 states), Canada and Mexico.
Don't complain to me that people kick you when you're down. It's your own fault for lying there
chikara

Native language: English (Australian)

Postby two_heads_talking » Fri 08.15.2008 11:36 am

revolutionary wrote:
Ragevx1 wrote:Hmmm looks interesting... but if he's only at Hiragana right now, how is he suppose too decipher the non-hiragana's?
Do I look like a he? God, there goes my self-esteem. :? .

No you don't look male at all. It's pretty obvious through his many posts that RAGEVX! isn't very observant. So, I will defend your self-esteem here. It was pretty obvious to me that your pic showed you as female. (although keep in mind, alot of us use avatars that may or may not look like us.. lol)

revolutionary wrote:
Yudan Taiteki wrote:I was going to ask how pork chop thought that table would be of any help to someone struggling with hiragana.
I think pork chop posted that because of my question in my last post of the first page of the thread. I was wondering how the shapes of the kana and the kanji they came from originated.

Yeah, pork chop was showing the origin of the characters, as Revolutionary had asked where hiragana had come from. It has nothing to do with helping anyone learn them, just some history on where they originated from, that's all.
two_heads_talking

Native language: English

Postby Ragevx1 » Fri 08.15.2008 6:37 pm

Oh Poop! Well actually... I don't look at the avatars, it's just that "revolutionary" seems like what a male would chose as a nick. But don't mind me.

Sorry about the misunderstanding, and another fact is that... when I do not know the gender of a certain person, that person will be automatically dubbed as a he. So yeah as I said, don't mind me LOL (sorry if you see this Mike, I've tried not too type the word since the time you ranted about it... but this time it was just funny, really! (Not to be offensive Rev)
Ragevx1

Postby revolutionary » Fri 08.15.2008 11:17 pm

Ragevx1 wrote:Oh Poop! Well actually... I don't look at the avatars, it's just that "revolutionary" seems like what a male would chose as a nick. But don't mind me.

Sorry about the misunderstanding, and another fact is that... when I do not know the gender of a certain person, that person will be automatically dubbed as a he. So yeah as I said, don't mind me LOL (sorry if you see this Mike, I've tried not too type the word since the time you ranted about it... but this time it was just funny, really! (Not to be offensive Rev)

It's cool. That's why I put the smiley there. I figured either you hadn't looked or I'd get the usual "all Asians look alike" response, which is terribly annoying since I'm almost all white and I think I look it. Somehow I get it all the time online, though. I seriously don't understand it. :roll:

But you know what I do understand? Hiragana. Hurrah!

Edit: Ok, so I read that again, and it sounded kind of terrible the way I put it. I don't care about whether or not I look Asian; I just don't see it. I guess that's what I was trying to say.
Less perfect, more free
revolutionary

Postby Ragevx1 » Sat 08.16.2008 5:34 am

Oh damn! Your Asian? I thought you were the average white person! You don't have that Asian look too be honest, but don't lose self-esteem, its only RageVX!

And congratulation on tackling Hiragana... now Katakana! It seems easier, I can't really tell...
Ragevx1

Postby revolutionary » Sat 08.16.2008 12:17 pm

I'm glad you agree with me. I used to get messages when I had Myspace saying things like "Asian gurls r hawt!!lulz lulz." I think it's because of my hair, to be honest. It was annoying because you know they just look at pictures and not your profile, but Myspace is full of idiots, anyway. All that aside, I don't think I should post when I'm tired. I think it upsets my internal filter. :D I'm glad to report that my self-esteem is unaffected, too.

To keep this on topic, here's a little status report. Work is driving me crazy. I take my book to work and practice on my breaks and lunch, but I can't get very far. I'm a supervisor, so I have people come crying to me to fix things, even if I'm not supposed to be working. Fall semester starts next week, so I'll bring my study materials and hit the library between classes.
Less perfect, more free
revolutionary

Postby ニッキー » Sat 08.16.2008 2:32 pm

revolutionary wrote:I'm glad you agree with me. I used to get messages when I had Myspace saying things like "Asian gurls r hawt!!lulz lulz." I think it's because of my hair, to be honest. It was annoying because you know they just look at pictures and not your profile, but Myspace is full of idiots, anyway. All that aside, I don't think I should post when I'm tired. I think it upsets my internal filter. :D I'm glad to report that my self-esteem is unaffected, too.

To keep this on topic, here's a little status report. Work is driving me crazy. I take my book to work and practice on my breaks and lunch, but I can't get very far. I'm a supervisor, so I have people come crying to me to fix things, even if I'm not supposed to be working. Fall semester starts next week, so I'll bring my study materials and hit the library between classes.

Even a little bit is better than nothing! It all adds up in the end :) and congrats on getting somewhere with hiragana, it must be rather satisifying to understand it finally.

I don't think you look particularly Asian either...
ニッキー

Native language: British English

Postby lima » Sat 09.20.2008 8:29 am

Learning Hiragana was first difficult but it became easy when i tried one line each time at a time---------( and not entire Hiragana at a time ]
lima

Postby Chikiya » Tue 10.21.2008 4:15 pm

I learnt hiragana in a week and katakana in another. It's easy, you practice writing them while saying them over to yourself, and then test yourself on recognising them. If you can get hold of some texts like children's books which are written in kana only, you should practice reading, and eventually your fluency will increase. I know it worked for me, but I guess it might not for you.
Chikiya

Postby arbalest71 » Fri 10.24.2008 9:41 am

revolutionary wrote:That's a relief. I sure would hate to be unique. :wink: It is reassuring, though. From what I read on the boards, it seemed like everyone should have been posting "OMG hiragana is teh eEzee you is dum!!111!!" I don't know why everyone would type like that, but they do in my imagination.

While it's a relief to know you're not alone in this respect I imagine it would be more of a relief to be able to read hiragana. Honestly, if it takes you more than a week (or, really, a day) to learn hiragana you are either doing something wrong or you are a bit cognitively unusual (not that that's always a fatal defect, but that's over my pay grade.) I'm not saying you're dumb (though I'm also not saying you aren't), but I think you can probably master kana pretty fast even if you are teh dum!!111!!.

You write reasonable English, so I suspect that your brain runs along fairly normal tracks. I think you're just doing it wrong, tbh. Here's a suggestion: start writing the hiragana out, one column at a time. Spend a day doing this. Just write out the columns, one at a time, many times. When you have one column down pat, move on to the next one. Refer to your reference only to the degree that you are unsure- make a game of it. You should be able to write the whole table from memory by the end of the day.

Here's the important part: start reading on the same day, and don't stop any time soon. Take a basic textbook and read through as much as you can, repeatedly if you have time. Don't worry about meaning... just read the kana. Keep doing that for a few days. If you put the kana in short term memory, and find an urgent need for them immediately, and continue to have that need for a while, you will learn them so that you could not forget them if you wanted to. It's OK if you forget how to write them for now- just learn to read them so that there is no perceptible gap between seeing the kana and subvocalizing it (hearing it in your head).

I actually don't approve of this method of memorization- it should be considered a last resort. If you want to try something a little less tedious you could get an SRS program like Mnemosyne and drill kana using one of the pre-built decks. You do give up the tactile part of writing the kana out though, so...
--

I have it on good authority that I\'m a weirdo, doing weird science.
arbalest71

Postby Yudan Taiteki » Fri 10.24.2008 1:55 pm

arbalest71 wrote:Honestly, if it takes you more than a week (or, really, a day) to learn hiragana you are either doing something wrong

That's funny to me because I say the reverse -- if you believe that you have "learned" the hiragana in a day, or even a week, then you're doing something wrong.
-Chris Kern
Yudan Taiteki

Postby AJBryant » Fri 10.24.2008 2:55 pm

Yudan Taiteki wrote:
arbalest71 wrote:Honestly, if it takes you more than a week (or, really, a day) to learn hiragana you are either doing something wrong

That's funny to me because I say the reverse -- if you believe that you have "learned" the hiragana in a day, or even a week, then you're doing something wrong.

I dunno... I learned it over a weekend, as did almost everyone in our J-101 class. (Our prof threatened to flunk anyone he saw writing in romaji after the second week.)

Tony
AJBryant
Site Admin

Postby Yudan Taiteki » Fri 10.24.2008 3:24 pm

Well, as I said earlier in the thread, I guess I like to set the bar higher -- it took me a lot longer than a weekend to really feel comfortable reading and writing hiragana at a normal speed. I especially think for beginners, it's worth remembering that it's very dangerous to think that you have finished learning something and that you're done with it. I'm always dismayed at the number of people I see who have taken Japanese for many years and still have trouble reading katakana, for instance. I think one big reason for that is that kana are considered to be something that you "learn first" and then that's out of the way for good.
-Chris Kern
Yudan Taiteki

Postby hyperconjugated » Fri 10.24.2008 3:56 pm

I learned how to write the hiragana chart in one weekend. With the chart I managed to get things done. However, It took long until I could do recognize hiragana on fly; I had to mentally search the chart everytime. It took some time actually read kanas fluently.
Irgendwann fällt jede Mauer
hyperconjugated

Native language: Finnish

Postby Denus » Fri 10.24.2008 4:20 pm

Yudan Taiteki wrote:Well, as I said earlier in the thread, I guess I like to set the bar higher -- it took me a lot longer than a weekend to really feel comfortable reading and writing hiragana at a normal speed. I especially think for beginners, it's worth remembering that it's very dangerous to think that you have finished learning something and that you're done with it. I'm always dismayed at the number of people I see who have taken Japanese for many years and still have trouble reading katakana, for instance. I think one big reason for that is that kana are considered to be something that you "learn first" and then that's out of the way for good.

I sometimes have trouble remembering hiragana like ぬ which I don't see very often.

And I still confuse ツ and シ and ン and ソ sometimes.
Denus

PreviousNext

Return to Japanese General Discussion