Learn Japanese with JapanesePod101.com

View topic - hello everyone, new board member, need advice

hello everyone, new board member, need advice

Post questions and answers about living or visiting Japan or the culture

hello everyone, new board member, need advice

Postby mandypandy275 » Sat 08.09.2008 4:23 pm

hi, im a 19 year old girl from puerto rico. im currently self teaching japanese until i can start on japanese lessons this month. anyways im currently studying animation and want to study about 2 years in japan and maybe then some and find a job if i really like it there, i know it can be hard but still possible. if anyone here knows any info about good animation universities in the tokyo are id gladly accept their help. if any latin people liveor have lived in japan id also like to know about their experinces. all in all id love all th ehelp i can get, hope its not too overwhelming, right now im learning hiragana properly with this great site and its working out great i can express myself with the basics ive learned using the teach yourself book from helen gilhooly and its areally good book for me. so thanks for listening hoep to recieve soem comments form everyone and some support, thanks again.
:mrgreen: amanda
Last edited by mandypandy275 on Sat 08.09.2008 9:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
mandypandy275

Re: hello everyone, new borad member, need advice

Postby clay » Sat 08.09.2008 4:28 pm

Hi Amanda,

Welcome to the site!

want to study about 2 years in japan and maybe then some and find a job if i really like it there, i know it can be hard but still possible.

I don't know anything about art schools in Japan, but outside of teaching English or Spanish, you would need to know a lot of Japanese. Study hard, use your textbook, and frequent these forums :wink:
TheJapanShop.com- Japanese language learning materials
Checkout our iPhone apps: TheJapanesePage.com/iPhone
clay
Site Admin

Re: hello everyone, new borad member, need advice

Postby mandypandy275 » Sat 08.09.2008 4:35 pm

thanks hahah im planning on learning and taking basic lessons for a couple of months ill see after that for intermediate classes adn keep learning from there i do dowload many podcasts and frequent diff sites for help but ive recently found this one and its helping me a lot on the grammar so thanx, anyone else who coudl tell me about art schools please do so.
mandypandy275

Re: hello everyone, new board member, need advice

Postby BrianM » Tue 08.12.2008 10:56 pm

This might help http://www.japan-guide.com/forum/querea ... ml?0+17861
Wow, from puerto rico and you speak great english, and i'm sure spanish.
Keep studying, I'm the same as you, I am on my own since my university cuts classes. Just keep with it, find help when needed, and you'll do great!
BrianM

Native language: English/Portuguese

Postby mandypandy275 » Sat 08.16.2008 6:05 pm

haha thanx brian i studied in english schools since prekinder so im pretty much fully bilingula and fluent on both spanish and english. but thanx for the link ill go check it out and see how it goes. im still waiting for lessons to begin but hopefully ill be able to start, sadly the lessons ar ein a different university as mine so i have to get out of my usual way haha but anything to learn this complex language, if u want we could also practice and see how much we learn so let me know. thanx again
mandypandy275

Postby Ragevx1 » Sat 08.16.2008 7:13 pm

mandypandy275 wrote:haha thanx brian i studied in english schools since prekinder so im pretty much fully bilingula and fluent on both spanish and english. but thanx for the link ill go check it out and see how it goes. im still waiting for lessons to begin but hopefully ill be able to start, sadly the lessons ar ein a different university as mine so i have to get out of my usual way haha but anything to learn this complex language, if u want we could also practice and see how much we learn so let me know. thanx again

So you're fluent in 2 languages? Don't you think it would be better to improve a fluent language rather then learning a 3rd fluent? Unless you mean your bilingual and not fluent.
Ragevx1

Postby tanuki » Sat 08.16.2008 9:31 pm

¡Bienvenida, Amanda!

Seguramente ser bilingüe te ayudará en el aprendizaje del japonés, pues, si bien ni el inglés ni el español tienen mucho que ver con él, mientras más idiomas sabe uno, más fácil le resulta aprender otro (al menos eso he escuchado). Lo único que te puedo decir con seguridad es que muchos puntos gramaticales del japonés me fueron más fáciles de entender haciendo comparaciones con la gramática española y no así con la inglesa (aunque la mayoría de los materiales que utilizo están en inglés).

Te deseo mucho éxito en el aprendizaje del japonés. :)
僕の下手な日本語を直してください。
tanuki

Postby Dustin » Sat 08.16.2008 9:34 pm

Ragevx1 wrote: So you're fluent in 2 languages? Don't you think it would be better to improve a fluent language rather then learning a 3rd fluent? Unless you mean your bilingual and not fluent.

I thought the whole point of these forums is to help each other learn the Japanese language, not tell someone it might be better to improve a language they're already fluent in. I'd love to be fluent in Japanese and once I've reached that goal I will go for another language or two as well.
If you want to suggest they get better in languages they are already fluent in before approaching Japanese, then others could argue the same for you as well. I have a friend of mine majoring in English and he speaks "Better English" than anyone I know but I'm not about to go out and try to make myself better at it before learning Japanese, and I'm sure you don't want to either.
Even if someone wasn't fluent in a language that they have learnt, it is there perogative if they'd like to take on a new language as well.

Continue fighting the good fight, and good luck in your studies!
Dustin

Native language: English

Postby gfunk » Sun 08.17.2008 12:41 am

So you're fluent in 2 languages? Don't you think it would be better to improve a fluent language rather then learning a 3rd fluent? Unless you mean your bilingual and not fluent.[/quote]

She's from Puerto Rico, big boy (besides the fact she wrote that she IS bilingual)... Which means yeah, she's bilingual.

Pues bienvenida al foro! Espero que Puerto Rico siga tan hermoso como cuando estuve ahi hace ya un par de anos. Y estoy muy de acuerdo con tanuki eh. Creeme que con el espanol como base, la pronunciacion y muchos puntos gramaticos del japones se te van a hacer muy faciles. Tu nadamas dale con ganas, y veras que se te va a hacer facil.
gfunk

Postby mandypandy275 » Sun 08.17.2008 12:56 am

hah athanx guys gfunk and tanuki WOW you guys are great in spanish gracias por todos sus comentarios. im fully bi lingual in both spanish and english and dont plan on studying languages that im totally confident in i'd be wasting precious time that i need for studying japanese, y tienen razon se me hace mucho mas facil las pronunciaciones para el japones por saber espa~ol, se lee igual . since spanish is read basically the same cept for some little tid bits its all good. i need to get stronger in reading and writing .kanji will be a bit hard i guess but i need hiragana and katakana strongly too. but ill keep at it and hoepfully you guys will help me out too. gracias por todooo woot
oh p.s. i think that being fluent in a language qualifies as pretty much dominationg that language too
pps haha gfunk puerto rico is still beautifull atleast top me it is always something to do and beaches to swim in hhaa
mandypandy275

Postby AJBryant » Sun 08.17.2008 2:18 am

Yeah, I only tell *native* English speakers whose English sux to learn English first. :)

Tony
AJBryant
Site Admin

Postby Oni » Sun 08.17.2008 2:23 am

My spanish is worse than my japanese and one of the things that would really be nice is capital letters at the beginner of your sentences. XD With caps I could check the beginner of the sentence to see if it's in english in stead of going from one word to the next checking. That would make it much easier on me (and probably others.) ^_^

Oh, and welcome to TJP ;)
Oni, defender of noobs. - "Have you hugged a noob lately?"
http://n-one.deviantart.com/art/RAoK-quot-Hug-a-N00B-quot-30686603
Oni

Postby ss » Sun 08.17.2008 3:18 am

Yes, welcome to TJP!

Like what our little Oni said, it would really be nice if you could start your next sentence with capital letter. It really helps me since I am not a native English speaker. I speak Singlish and it sucks. ^_^
ss

Native language: English speaking family

Postby mandypandy275 » Mon 08.18.2008 11:46 am

HAha sorry for not hitting the caps when I should, I'll try harder, its that sometimes theres so much to write I just go ahead and write it and forget the rest, my bad. Thanks for all your comments I hope I can achieve my dream of studying in Japan, for now Im still searching for universities if any one else has any more info post it up please and thanks, c u round hehe.
mandypandy275

Postby two_heads_talking » Mon 08.18.2008 12:16 pm

AJBryant wrote:Yeah, I only tell *native* English speakers whose English sux to learn English first. :)

Tony

Yeah, you've been lax on that lately Tony.. shame on you...
two_heads_talking

Next

Return to Culture and Info about living in Japan