Learn Japanese with JapanesePod101.com

View topic - Life in Japan, real or not?!

Life in Japan, real or not?!

Post questions and answers about living or visiting Japan or the culture

Re: Life in Japan, real or not?!

Postby Yudan Taiteki » Sat 08.16.2008 10:47 pm

BrianM wrote:If you want to avoid it you can.

Maybe on a vacation, but I would be surprised to hear that someone lived in Japan for any extended length of time and completely avoided using squat toilets.

But if you're serious about never using either an outhouse or a portopotty, I find that surprising as well.
-Chris Kern
Yudan Taiteki

Native language: English

Postby BrianM » Sat 08.16.2008 10:54 pm

Yudan Taiteki wrote:

Maybe on a vacation, but I would be surprised to hear that someone lived in Japan for any extended length of time and completely avoided using squat toilets.

But if you're serious about never using either an outhouse or a portopotty, I find that surprising as well.

Why is that surprising? I never used one, never encountered one. Whenever I would "have" to use a porter potty would be at concerts, but I can hold w/e I need in for 3 hours or so.
BrianM

Native language: English/Portuguese

Postby Harisenbon » Sat 08.16.2008 11:01 pm

Yudan Taiteki wrote:Maybe on a vacation, but I would be surprised to hear that someone lived in Japan for any extended length of time and completely avoided using squat toilets.

6 years and have never used a squat toilet.
I can usually find a place that has a western toilet, or hold it long enough to find a place with a western toilet.

As for the high-speed internet comment, I was surprised when I went back to the states recently and they were advertising new, super-fast 50mb internet connections for $150 a month. I've had 50mb service for $30 for almost 5 years now, and am just now updating to optical cable. 100mb for $50 a month.

I love the internet backbone here. It makes me cry tears of joy. :D
Want to learn Japanese the right way? How about for free?
Ippatsu // Japanesetesting.com
Harisenbon

Native language: (poor) English

Postby Mike Cash » Sun 08.17.2008 1:48 am

Ragevx1 wrote:Oh damn! How do people use squat toilets??? It looks so... I can't find the word to describe it. But it is just plain... no comments. NO COMMENTS!!!

The word you are searching for is "primitive".

I was up in the mountains of Tochigi today taking photos and I had to make like the proverbial wild bear.

But at least most home's there have modern toilets where you sit on right?

The operative word being "most". There are still a few old homes out there that don't even have flush toilets. I'll spare you a description of what you see if you look down into the hole. They have covers which one would be very well advised to always keep in place when the facilities aren't in actual active use.
Never underestimate my capacity for pettiness.
Mike Cash

Postby AJBryant » Sun 08.17.2008 2:20 am

Yudan Taiteki wrote:

Well, I certainly tried.

Holy crap, some of those things are HORRIBLE -- especially station toilets toward the end of the day. God, it's like people *try* to miss. With the "big one". Ick.

Tony
AJBryant
Site Admin

Postby Yudan Taiteki » Sun 08.17.2008 7:41 am

Mike Cash wrote:
Ragevx1 wrote:Oh damn! How do people use squat toilets??? It looks so... I can't find the word to describe it. But it is just plain... no comments. NO COMMENTS!!!

The word you are searching for is "primitive".

In my experience on bicycling trips, I have had not only to use many a port-o-potty and disgusting outhouse, but occasionally I've simply had to go in a field or woods, with no facilities whatsoever. So I guess to me a squat toilet is actually an upgrade from that. :)
-Chris Kern
Yudan Taiteki

Postby HyruleHippie » Sun 08.17.2008 3:49 pm

Yudan Taiteki wrote:

gosh. those things terrify me. I'm almost 21 years old and have never used a port-o-potty. I think I'd prefer a squatting toilet to those...but I guess it depends on the condition of your knees?...

Ah well, I plan to study abroad pretty soon, so I'll worry about it then. u__u;;;

But really...portopotties?...I'm too afraid to even look in one for fear that someone will lock me in and roll it down a hill or something. o__o I will never go in one. *death*

ETA:

Oh yes, and bathing with a bucket and such is so nice. My family does it pretty often. I suppose it could be that my mom grew up in Chinatown in New York...Lots of culture melding there.

Either way, It saves water and is quick once you get used to it. It's actually my preferred method of cleansing.
HyruleHippie

Postby richvh » Sun 08.17.2008 4:27 pm

HyruleHippie wrote:gosh. those things terrify me. I'm almost 21 years old and have never used a port-o-potty. I think I'd prefer a squatting toilet to those...but I guess it depends on the condition of your knees?...

Ah well, I plan to study abroad pretty soon, so I'll worry about it then. u__u;;;

But really...portopotties?...I'm too afraid to even look in one for fear that someone will lock me in and roll it down a hill or something. o__o I will never go in one. *death*

I think you've watched too many bad movies. Porta-Potties, in my experience, lock from the inside, not the outside. And in my fifty years of life, I have never even seen one tipped over, let alone rolled down the hill with someone in it (and since they're roughly square in outline, they wouldn't roll very well, anyway.) Of course, if you hang around with drunken fraternity members, your experience may vary, but I wouldn't put it high on the list of things to lose sleep over.

My wife hates using them, but that's because of the odor, not the risk of being locked inside and rolled down a hill.
Richard VanHouten
ゆきの物語
richvh

Postby Ragevx1 » Sun 08.17.2008 5:48 pm

Too be honest, I'd much rather take a leak on someone's lawn or beside a tree rather than a squat toilet. By the way, are squat toilet for number 1 or number 2? Or is for number 1 and 2?
Ragevx1

Postby Dustin » Sun 08.17.2008 6:01 pm

They are for 1 and 2, otherwise the average guy would not have to squat I would think.
Plus, there would be no reason for a traditional house to only have a toilet where you could only do 1 or the other :wink:

But they are for both, and it's really not a big deal, if anything it's cleaner since you don't sit on a toilet that countless other people have, and in some public washrooms cleaniness can be questionable, even with a good old wipe :roll:
Dustin

Postby BrianM » Sun 08.17.2008 9:27 pm

AJBryant wrote:
Yudan Taiteki wrote:

Well, I certainly tried.

Holy crap...
Tony

No pun intended ;).
I know they are terrible but hey, better to have something to shoot poop down than nothing.
BrianM

Native language: English/Portuguese

Postby becki_kanou » Mon 08.18.2008 7:55 am

Ragevx1 wrote:Is it true what he does?

Turn on the heater for hot water to shower? Use a bucket to shower (pour water on himself)? Use a heater for heating during winter? Or is it just what's provided by JETS (He's a jet member in Japan)

When I was an ALT in Iwate we had to drain all of the water out of the pipes at night and then shut off the water main to keep the pipes from freezing, expanding and bursting the pipe.

And as someone else said, my first year I was afraid of the kerosene heater catching on fire and burning my apartment up so, I didn't use it. Now I use it all the time, it's so warm and toasty!

I actually prefer squat toilets too. Sure the floor is sometimes gross, but it's better than a seat that someone may have peed on. :shock:
そうだ、嬉しいんだ、生きる喜び!
例え胸の傷が痛んでも。
becki_kanou

Skype chat: yes_becki
Native language: U.S. English, 米語

Postby Mike Cash » Mon 08.18.2008 9:46 am

richvh wrote:I think you've watched too many bad movies. Porta-Potties, in my experience, lock from the inside, not the outside. And in my fifty years of life, I have never even seen one tipped over, let alone rolled down the hill with someone in it (and since they're roughly square in outline, they wouldn't roll very well, anyway.) Of course, if you hang around with drunken fraternity members, your experience may vary, but I wouldn't put it high on the list of things to lose sleep over.

My wife hates using them, but that's because of the odor, not the risk of being locked inside and rolled down a hill.

In high school I developed the habit of hooking my foot behind the leg of my chair when I went to sit down to eat lunch. A favorite juvenile prank among my lunchtime buddies was surreptitiously kicking chairs out from under each other just as they sat down to eat.
Mike Cash

Postby two_heads_talking » Mon 08.18.2008 12:00 pm

But atleast most home's there have modern toilets where you sit on right?

Well, it's actually easier to evacuate when you squat than when you sit. While you sit, you actually make it harder to do your business, squating makes it much easier. But since you have never tried to squat, well, you will never know.

And as for your other comment of rather taking a piss on someones lawn than do it in a toilet, let's just hope the owner to said lawn doesn't take the hose to you while you have your pants around your ankles, doing that kinda stuff in the states will getyou arrested for showing your junk in public..

As to living conditions, let's see, I lived in a house (two stories tall even) with a second floor door that opened out to nothing. It was used only in the winters, when the first floor door was snowed in..

We had a straight drop (no flush) squat toilet and heated the rooms with a portable oil heater. We even had to use a hose that connected the skink to the ofuro in order to fill up the "tub". and, when the heater element in the ofuro broke, we just used the heater above the sink to connect to a makeshift showerhead.. Central heating in the Tohoku area was only available in the more expensive houses in the areas.. Oodate was the name of this area.

And guess what, you get used to it. Of course one could complain and cry about it not being up to technology standards, but then again, it's no different than many other countries.

I also lived in plenty of houses that had flush/squat toilets and evena few with thrones (it's an adaptor that allows you to sit over a sqauter or straight drop, so the little ones don't drop throught the hole.. lol.)

As to washing up, yes, you take a bucket and dip it into the hot water, and rinse yourself, then you soap up and redip the bucket and rinse yourself off. (you do this at any, place public or private, that has an ofuro) after completely rinsing off, then you can get into to the ofuro. Otherwise, you have dirty peoople sharing a bath and to be honest, that's as disgusting as anything I can think of.

shoot, come to think of it, the straight drops are alot better than some of the military latrines I have seen and used in the past. You could smell the aroma of amonia about 3 klicks away.. (3 kilometers or about 2mles ).. we could get into what they look like, but I will let those who have yet to decide wheter or not they want to join the military, get a first hand view, before I go and ruin it for them .. lol
two_heads_talking

Postby Mike Cash » Mon 08.18.2008 12:38 pm

two_heads_talking wrote:
And as for your other comment of rather taking a piss on someones lawn than do it in a toilet, let's just hope the owner to said lawn doesn't take the hose to you while you have your pants around your ankles, doing that kinda stuff in the states will getyou arrested for showing your junk in public..

While driving trucks in the US, I once stopped off at a truck stop in Florida, one belonging to a nationwide chain, and went into the restroom to take a leak. Now we've all probably had the experience of having to take a dump, surveying the condition of the facilities, and deciding to hold it until later. But we'll pee pretty much anywhere. This place was so indescribably filthy, though, that I decided I would just go piss in the parking lot instead.

Related side note for travelers in the US: You will find no better maintained and cleaned public facilities anywhere than you will find at any of many locations operated by the "Flying J" truck stops. Restroom (and shower) facilities are kept immaculate. The toilet stalls have floor-to-ceiling doors and walls, which is a nice touch. They're not just for truck drivers; families in RVs and just general chugging-down-the-highway motorists are all made welcome. Their restaurants aren't bad either.
Mike Cash

PreviousNext

Return to Culture and Info about living in Japan