Learn Japanese with JapanesePod101.com

View topic - Life in Japan, real or not?!

Life in Japan, real or not?!

Post questions and answers about living or visiting Japan or the culture

Re: Life in Japan, real or not?!

Postby two_heads_talking » Mon 08.18.2008 5:00 pm

Mike Cash wrote:
Related side note for travelers in the US: You will find no better maintained and cleaned public facilities anywhere than you will find at any of many locations operated by the "Flying J" truck stops. Restroom (and shower) facilities are kept immaculate. The toilet stalls have floor-to-ceiling doors and walls, which is a nice touch. They're not just for truck drivers; families in RVs and just general chugging-down-the-highway motorists are all made welcome. Their restaurants aren't bad either.

They've gotten even better over the years. Now they have private shower facilities, and since truckers don't have many places to shower, if they have sleepers on their trucks (which most do now), they just pay a few dollars to shower up and are ready for a nice dinner at the restaurants.. I usually try to hit every "Flying J" just because of the facilities. Shoot, they make a better rest stop than the state owned ones.

In fact on my straight shots from Utah to VA (when I was in Utah, going back to visit the parents) I'd do 17-19 hour stints in my car and basically make one shower stop (basically kick around for 2 hours) and then back on the road for the remaining 17-15 hours.. Then it would take me a full day to wake up.. lol
two_heads_talking

Native language: English

Postby chikara » Mon 08.18.2008 8:02 pm

richvh wrote:...... Porta-Potties, in my experience, lock from the inside, not the outside. ...

Down here a "porta-pottie" is something you take camping or out on a boat which doesn't have a proper sea head. What you call a Porta-Pottie in the USA we call a Port-Loo.

If you get the chance catch the commedy movie Kenny which has recently been released in the USA. It has been subtitled in parts so that USA audiences can understand what the Australian English means.

"There's a smell in here that will outlast religion"

richvh wrote:...... And in my fifty years of life, I have never even seen one tipped over, let alone rolled down the hill with someone in it (and since they're roughly square in outline, they wouldn't roll very well, anyway.) Of course, if you hang around with drunken fraternity members, your experience may vary, but I wouldn't put it high on the list of things to lose sleep over......

A professional footballer was recently suspended by his team for pushing over porta-loos, some of which apparently were in use at the time, at a corporate golf day and trying to roll them down a hill.

As for squat toilets in Japan my wife found that there was always long queues for the western toilets but not the squat toilets in railway stations. It was her observation that the majority of Japanese women appeared to prefer the western style toilets. My wife has worked in India and commented that the Japanese squat toilets were extremely clean in comparison.

Having used a slit trench latrine I don't have any major problems using a squat toilet but always managed to find a western style toilet when required.
Don't complain to me that people kick you when you're down. It's your own fault for lying there
chikara

Native language: English (Australian)

Postby Ragevx1 » Mon 08.18.2008 9:14 pm

Judging from all of what you guys say... Japan is a hygienic place isn't it? It's all about the cleanliness, bucket shower so no one has to share the same showering room, squat toilet so no one has too sit on the same western-style toilet (which has probably had urine on for many countless times). It all starting too make sense. I thought they were just too far behind from the rest of the world. But then again... I might be wrong, cause if you ask me it does seem far-behind from the developed countries.
Ragevx1

Postby chikara » Mon 08.18.2008 9:17 pm

Ragevx1 wrote:... I might be wrong, cause if you ask me it does seem far-behind from the developed countries. .....

Japan is a developed country.

BTW, even (some of) the squat toilets come with electronic controls. ;)
Don't complain to me that people kick you when you're down. It's your own fault for lying there
chikara

Postby Yudan Taiteki » Mon 08.18.2008 9:26 pm

Ragevx1 wrote:Judging from all of what you guys say... Japan is a hygienic place isn't it?.

-Chris Kern
Yudan Taiteki

Postby Ragevx1 » Mon 08.18.2008 9:56 pm

wahahaha... garbage on a garden-ish looking place?? Topping it off... it's someone garbage from home! I guess we can't expect to find a perfect place, there is always this one person everywhere that will make it look like trash. But still in term of showering and bathroom needs, I think Japan is doing good, although not something we'd find in the America's.
Ragevx1

Postby Yudan Taiteki » Mon 08.18.2008 10:22 pm

That's a ditch on the side of the road near the place I lived. It was constantly full of trash, old clothes, bags of garbage, etc. The "garden-ish looking place" is weeds growing in brackish water that came from who knows where.
-Chris Kern
Yudan Taiteki

Postby vkladchik » Wed 08.20.2008 7:20 pm

What I've never been able to understand is why they let the facades of buildings get so dirty. It looks like water-damage or something, and it's everywhere. Is it the humidity?

I'm talking about the black streaks you can see on the buildings. What is that? Mildew?

It's kind of hard to google this kind of thing, so these aren't very good examples, but if you've been to Japan, you know what I mean.

And the goddamn power lines!!! Argh!!
/v   http://soul-sides.com   /~\
vkladchik

Native language: Spanish

Postby Yudan Taiteki » Wed 08.20.2008 7:27 pm

I think the power lines add some charm myself...

I think the black stuff is mold/mildew.
-Chris Kern
Yudan Taiteki

Postby Harisenbon » Wed 08.20.2008 8:16 pm

vkladchik wrote:And the goddamn power lines!!! Argh!!

Yeah, powerlines...

I mean What

The

Hell
Want to learn Japanese the right way? How about for free?
Ippatsu // Japanesetesting.com
Harisenbon

Native language: (poor) English

Postby vkladchik » Wed 08.20.2008 11:33 pm

Harisenbon wrote:I mean What

Are you trying to say that the US has as many above-ground power lines as Japan? You need to see more of the country...
/v   http://soul-sides.com   /~\
vkladchik

Native language: Spanish

Postby Sairana » Thu 08.21.2008 12:22 am

vkladchik wrote:
Harisenbon wrote:I mean What

Are you trying to say that the US has as many above-ground power lines as Japan? You need to see more of the country...

hehe... I don't think he was saying that.

He had one word above each image. "What.... the..... hell..." ^_^

And I remember when my hometown looked very similar to that.... but they're mostly buried now.
Sairana

Native language: (US) English

Postby chikara » Thu 08.21.2008 1:13 am

vkladchik wrote:Are you trying to say that the US has as many above-ground power lines as Japan? ......

Imagine living in a country with above ground power lines. How primitive :oops:
chikara

Postby Harisenbon » Thu 08.21.2008 5:54 am

vkladchik wrote:Are you trying to say that the US has as many above-ground power lines as Japan? You need to see more of the country...

I was more trying to say that America has a lot of above-ground power lines, as does Japan.
In order to say "the US has as many above ground power lines" then we would have to take a survey of all of Japan and the US, and I really don't have the time nor inclination to do such a project. Perhaps you would like to? I can bet you that America has more though, just because the land size is so much larger.

I'm also curious about where you're comparing when you say there are "so many power lines" in Japan to the few powerlines in America. From the window of my office, I see 0 power lines. I went all around Nagoya today visiting customers, and saw no powerlines. When I go home to inaka tonight, there are numerous powerlines, but then again, that's inaka. It's the same in the countryside in america as well. My hometown has TONS of powerlines. Perhaps you also need to see more of the country?

Generally, in upscale or reformed parts of town, they bury the power lines. Anywhere else, they don't because of cost, hassle or any other number of factors.

Anyhow, sorry to get a little worked up about it. I've put up with year after year of JETs coming here and complaining about the powerlines. Then they get shipped to someplace without powerlines and complain how they don't have electricity.

There's no pleasing some people! :mrgreen:
Last edited by Harisenbon on Thu 08.21.2008 9:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Want to learn Japanese the right way? How about for free?
Ippatsu // Japanesetesting.com
Harisenbon

Native language: (poor) English

Postby Garappachi » Thu 08.21.2008 6:28 am

揺られもって走るのも乙なモンです。

>張扇坊さん、引用元が変ですよ。
Garappachi

Native language: にほんご

PreviousNext

Return to Culture and Info about living in Japan