Learn Japanese with JapanesePod101.com

View topic - subbed or dubbed

subbed or dubbed

Anything relating to Anime or Manga - what's new, what you like, etc...

Re: subed or dubed

Postby Yudan Taiteki » Thu 06.05.2008 12:14 pm

chiisaikaeru wrote:plus you learn language.

No.
-Chris Kern
Yudan Taiteki

Native language: English

Postby monkeykoder » Thu 06.05.2008 2:17 pm

Yudan Taiteki wrote:
chiisaikaeru wrote:plus you learn language.

No.

But it does get you used to hearing the language.
monkeykoder

Re: RE: subed or dubed

Postby Ki.Saiko » Tue 06.10.2008 10:19 pm

The artists that make Anime have said that they do not want people to read their shows. They go through a lot of effort drawing every little detail, but no one except a savant can read their shows and enjoy the details as well.

Meh, I can read it and enjoy the details, but then again I'm a really fast reader. Not a savant, but there is something literally up with my brain that lets me do that. I'd prefer not to go into detail.

Anyway, I like subbed better because it helps me pick up new vocabulary words. (I check to make sure I'm right, of course.) Plus, it's the thing that got me used to hearing the language when I was just starting out.
And on another note, some shows that I like get horribly ruined when they're dubbed (Like Yu-gi-oh). Doesn't mean all dubs are bad, though. Some shows, such as Yu Yu Hakusho have great dubs.
Ki.Saiko

Postby hewby » Sun 06.15.2008 12:11 am

subed is better dubed has differnt voices compared to just subed .... The dubed voices don't sound as good...
hewby

Re: RE: subed or dubed

Postby wingedsoul007 » Mon 06.30.2008 7:14 pm

Ki.Saiko wrote:
Meh, I can read it and enjoy the details, but then again I'm a really fast reader. Not a savant, but there is something literally up with my brain that lets me do that. I'd prefer not to go into detail.

Anyway, I like subbed better because it helps me pick up new vocabulary words. (I check to make sure I'm right, of course.) Plus, it's the thing that got me used to hearing the language when I was just starting out.

I agree completely. I can read really fast, so taking in the picture and getting what they're saying is no problem whatsoever. Dubbed on the other hand is just annoying. The voices are horrible most of the time and they have to change what is being said in order to fit the mouth movements better. I prefer to sub it.
wingedsoul007

Postby Nateo » Tue 07.08.2008 11:19 am

Subbed.
Nateo

Postby Legend » Wed 07.09.2008 6:54 pm

subbed for sure princess mononoke sounds good with the english actors but its kinda woever u can get usually(and the whole western humor thing...its even funnier in japanese watch "monty python's Holy Grail in japanese,you'll know what i mean)
Legend

Postby Gizzygirl234 » Tue 07.15.2008 7:54 pm

Ugh- it depends on how well/close it is to the original voice actors. For example, Cowboy Bebop was pretty well matched. On the other hand, Sailor moon's voice -drives me up the wall now- compared to when I was younger. Same with the little girl in Totoro, it kind of ruins the movie for me. But, I think Christian Bale's voice as Howl in Howl's Moving Castle was fine/acceptable. So, go figure. It depends on how obnoxious the dub is I guess :D
Gizzygirl234

Postby rico_Ben3 » Wed 07.16.2008 1:38 am

I think that dubbs kill anime. xD
I wont watch anything dubbed
rico_Ben3

Postby MMSCB » Tue 08.19.2008 5:55 pm

I like subbed Anime better because Anime that are subbed almost always show the lyrics in Romaji and in Japanese text and puts in the translation of the ending and opening themes of the Anime (Though there are some errors on translation and Japanese text and Romaji And the subs shows translation of Japanese writing that are important to the storyline of the Anime and we get a little confused of what's happening on the storyline when we're watching dubs when they don't translate the Japanese writing. I just wish that the dubs could for once sub the Japanese text so we could understand a little of the words so we know what's happening and learn a little of the Japanese culture and language and gain new vocabulary words.
MMSCB

Postby Ahmed_Ali » Wed 08.27.2008 11:40 pm

I don't really mind
but some times I decide depending on the voice of the character
if the english voice seems better suited I will watch dubbed

but the dubbed version isn't the same as the original subbed version
so subbed is better I guess in a way
Ahmed_Ali

Postby Benvolio » Mon 09.01.2008 8:40 pm

Subbed is obviously the way to go.

But if it wasn't for Dubbed anime a lot of people wouldn't have come as far as to get to watch the real "Subbed" Anime.
I know my first Anime experiences came from American dubbed TV like Dragon Ball Z & even "shudders" Dubbed Akira.

So Dubbed is good for breaking in new recruits that will surely no doubt turn in due time to Subtitles. Also a lot of non-native English speakers rely on dubs to help them learn so it's all good.

But I do agree with previous posts that point out the perils of a poor "Sub or Dub" miss translation or just plain simplifying down the script does happen. So I suppose the best answer is to learn Japanese and just watch the genuine article. (Hopefully in four years I’ll be able to tell you what that’s like)
Benvolio

Postby matrixkungfu » Fri 09.05.2008 12:13 am

by rico_Ben3 on 16 Jul 2008 00:38

I agree, I may not speak japanese, but I know that the language has a diferent setup for verbs, objects and adjectives. Because the english translation has to be reformatted, the sound is sometimes before, or after when it is sopposed to be heard. And the whole effort put into lip-synking the charactors to make their speech look realistic is lost.
matrixkungfu

Postby Sairana » Fri 09.05.2008 12:43 am

matrixkungfu wrote:
by rico_Ben3 on 16 Jul 2008 00:38

I agree, I may not speak japanese, but I know that the language has a diferent setup for verbs, objects and adjectives. Because the english translation has to be reformatted, the sound is sometimes before, or after when it is sopposed to be heard. And the whole effort put into lip-synking the charactors to make their speech look realistic is lost.

Eh, I half disagree with this. There's nothing wrong with translation when it's done well. It doesn't LOSE anything with good localization. Something that is well translated rarely makes good study material, but I'd be utterly upset if my subs were translated with a priority on being literal over natural.

The problem with subs generally is when they actually change the content to suit the market. Changing a character's gender because they're in a gay relationship, cutting out entire scenes and having to restructure the rest of the story to not -need- the missing information, etc. If the story isn't suitable for the overseas market they're localizing for without alteration, then it probably shouldn't be imported at all, IMHO, or given the appropriate rating and change the target audience.

Only in those cases do I find dubbed versions to be INFERIOR to subbed versions.
Sairana

Native language: (US) English

Postby Harisenbon » Fri 09.05.2008 12:58 am

matrixkungfu wrote:And the whole effort put into lip-synking the charactors to make their speech look realistic is lost.

Most Japanese animation (especially TV) is not synced with the original Japanese soundtrack. It's a vague resemblance, but not synced like in american animation.

And I prefer to watch my anime neither subbed nor dubbed.
And just to be competitive, I unplug the video so I can't see what's going on, and turn down the volume REAL low.

That's the REAL way to watch anime. :mrgreen:
Want to learn Japanese the right way? How about for free?
Ippatsu // Japanesetesting.com
Harisenbon

Native language: (poor) English

PreviousNext

Return to Anime and Manga Discussions