Learn Japanese with JapanesePod101.com

View topic - Genki Vs Japanese for Everyone

Genki Vs Japanese for Everyone

Have a textbook or grammar book that you find particularly helpful? What about a learning tip to share with others?

Genki Vs Japanese for Everyone

Postby Dustin » Mon 08.11.2008 6:55 pm

I was wondering if anyone has directly compared the Ganki series with Japanese for Everyone.
I have a few basic texts, including Japanese for Everyone and from what I understand, it will bring you to a similar level that the Ganki series will, at a quicker, more compacted pace.
I ordered JFE because of the LOW price tag for a newly revised textbook, and I just found out the local university carries all the Genki materials after getting rid of the textbooks that they used to use of their own design.

This would save me a lot on shipping cost of the series, and I can go get it the same day.

Any input on this would be great, mainly as to whether I should go buy another set of books, or if I should just stick with what I have, move onto an intermediate text and don't look back :p

Thanks
Dustin

Native language: English

Re: Genki Vs Japanese for Everyone

Postby clay » Mon 08.11.2008 7:00 pm

I personally say stick with what you have. If you have a textbook, it is best to use it. There isn't much reason to spend money.

I bought a lot of textbooks when I first started--thinking the next one would be the magic bullet. As a result, I didn't use a single textbook to its fullest potential. I'm sure I could have learned basic Japanese a lot faster and easier had I just chosen one textbook.
TheJapanShop.com- Japanese language learning materials
Checkout our iPhone apps: TheJapanesePage.com/iPhone
clay
Site Admin

Postby Dustin » Mon 08.11.2008 9:38 pm

That is what I figured, I have quite a bit of the text done and I just don't "feel" like I know a lot of japanese yet, so my main concerns were whether it was a high enough quality above what I have to get it to have a better knowledge of the basic stuff.

I guess I'll just finish what I have and move onto intermediate japanese *gulp*

I hope I'm ready!!
Dustin

Postby Ragevx1 » Tue 08.12.2008 10:48 am

So what your saying is... Japanese for everyone is equivalent or better then Genki? I was thinking of getting Genki sometime soon...
Ragevx1

Postby Dustin » Tue 08.12.2008 12:16 pm

Japanese for Everyone will bring you to approximately the same level as the Genki series, at a much more affordable price!!
Also looking at the textbook selection guide, Genki is suited best for college study ( with instructors etc. ) while Japanese for Everyone is great for self study.
I am sure you can use Genki for self study as well of course, Japanese for Everyone does move at a quick pace as it is compact, but it definitely packs quite a punch of material.
I looked at Genki yesterday, flipped through it a bit, and I find I know quite a bit from inside it already!
Japanese for Everyone seems to be doing the trick, and for a mere 19 dollars, who can complain!?!
Dustin

Postby sushi4ever » Tue 08.12.2008 12:36 pm

Well, I own the whole Genki series and I'd say that Genki might be better for those who want/need alot of practice (listening & writing).
Plus, Genki has additional workbooks and an answer key (I don't know if JfE has the answers in the back or so...)

I was planning on finishing the whole Genki series and then ordering JfE along with the intermediate books.
I thought JfE might be good for reinforcement, and since it's incredibly cheap (at least for me who lives in a country where Japanese textbooks cost a fortune) I'd buy it but I'm not entirely sure yet, maybe someone will have some advice as well ^^
my japanese learning blog: http://pimpmysushi.livejournal.com
sushi4ever

Native language: German

Postby Miaow » Tue 08.12.2008 1:01 pm

sushi4ever wrote:Well, I own the whole Genki series and I'd say that Genki might be better for those who want/need alot of practice (listening & writing).
Plus, Genki has additional workbooks and an answer key (I don't know if JfE has the answers in the back or so...)

JfE does have the answers in the back! Both the main text and the Workbook have the answers. You can special-order the Workbook and Kanji book mentioned on the front flap from a Japanese book store - each book costs around US $30, plus shipping.
= ^. .^ =
~Miaow~
にゃあにゃあ
Miaow

Postby Dustin » Tue 08.12.2008 6:53 pm

JfE has a lot of exercises as well, more than a lot of the texts that I have seen, may not be as much as Genki since I haven't looked at it as closely, but has enough to help get things into your memory, and lots of examples as well.
There is supplementary audio for listening practice as well, which is great ( some may have a hard time finding it, but it's not that bad )

Overall I don't think anyone would be making a bad choice by getting JfE instead of Genki, as Clay said, don't bother doing Genki if you already have JfE so Genki can't be that much superior to JfE, if at all.
Dustin

Postby leonl » Thu 08.14.2008 6:11 pm

Instead of starting a new thread I thought I would latch on to yours and ask you a question. You mentioned a workbook How might I come to acquire this workbook, because unless I'm missing it JFE doesn't show the kanji stroke order or really talk about them very much. Thanks in advance
How sweet life would be if korean in origin were playstation, anime and Wii
http://lang-8.com/92836
leonl

Native language: 英語

Postby Dustin » Sun 08.17.2008 4:14 am

Personally I would just get an all inclusive Kanji guide, such as "A Guide to Remembering Japanese Characters" By Kenneth Henshall, it has some etymology and aids to remember kanji, stroke count and order for all of the jouyo kanji.

It sells for about 19 dollars, and may be better than special ordering a $30 kanji guide that covers less than 500 of them.
Dustin

Postby Miaow » Tue 08.19.2008 8:34 pm

Dustin_Calgary wrote:Personally I would just get an all inclusive Kanji guide, such as "A Guide to Remembering Japanese Characters" By Kenneth Henshall, it has some etymology and aids to remember kanji, stroke count and order for all of the jouyo kanji.

It sells for about 19 dollars, and may be better than special ordering a $30 kanji guide that covers less than 500 of them.

Does "A Guide to Remembering Japanese Characters" include exercises? I have a feeling it doesn't, and is more of a reference with etymologies (which I think would be VERY interesting!) but correct me if I'm wrong. It's a book I've been considering picking up.

I think the books like "Reading Japanese", "Let's Learn Kanji", and "Japanese for Everyone: Kanji Book", while just teaching around 500 characters or less, are very worth their prices because they include a wealth of exercises that present the kanji within actual words and sentences:

* sentences with underlined kanji, where you write in the reading (like furigana)
* "fill in the blanks with kanji that complete the sentence" exercises
* matching exercises
* reading drills ("Reading Japanese" is awesome for this - the selections are in both the common printed typeface and hand-written

"Japanese for Everyone: Kanji Book", and "Let's Learn Kanji" both have the answers to the exercises/drills in the back of the book also.

~* Miaow *~
= ^. .^ =
~Miaow~
にゃあにゃあ
Miaow

Postby HyruleHippie » Tue 08.19.2008 8:48 pm

Miaow wrote:
Dustin_Calgary wrote:Personally I would just get an all inclusive Kanji guide, such as "A Guide to Remembering Japanese Characters" By Kenneth Henshall, it has some etymology and aids to remember kanji, stroke count and order for all of the jouyo kanji.

Does "A Guide to Remembering Japanese Characters" include exercises? I have a feeling it doesn't, and is more of a reference with etymologies (which I think would be VERY interesting!) but correct me if I'm wrong. It's a book I've been considering picking up.

That's what it is, a kanji reference without exercises.

I have this book and quite like it. My textbook (Integrated Approach to Intermediate Japanese) doesn't include much in-depth kanji information, so I picked it up. I love it, but I'm not sure how useful it would be on its own. It only gives three example words for each kanji, which I find sad. I have to look to my textbook or a web dictionary to check readings that I know exist.

It has a stroke order guide at the beginning and end of the book, but no stroke order. Stroke counts are useful, though.

The history and explanation of components are extremely useful,though. I give it a thumbs up!

Edit: Let's Learn Kanji and Reading Japanese sound really good. Much more efficient than running to the internet all the time. I do like to have several reference points to choose from, and my local library sucks >__<;;;
HyruleHippie

Postby Dustin » Tue 08.19.2008 8:56 pm

I have the Henshall book, as well as the pull set of White Rabbit Press flashcards.
Between the book and flashcards I get plenty of examples, and i like to learn vocab before or with my Kanji which helps a lot, nad makes them actually useful.

I DID however pick up 2 books from a local bookstore 250 Essential Kanji for everyday use Volumes 1 and 2. It has 500 kanji and quizzes and exercises for each section which is great.

Very easy to find as well :D
Dustin

Postby Stormy32 » Thu 08.21.2008 5:25 am

I have been using JFE at University for 2 years now. I am going to japan to study at University as an exchange student for 1 year. My lecturer teaches at two Universities. He uses JFE at mine and Genki at another. What he discovered was that people who studied with JFE were much better prepared overall than people who studied with Genki. He says that he prefers the layout of JFE and the amount of detailed grammar it has. I have the majority of JFE textbooks and I find them easy to use and effective. I do have some Genki books but I have not fully explored them yet.

If I were you I would stick with either one or the other, hence I am sticking with my Universities choice of JFE. If you try and study with another text book ontop of your current one you may find that because of the differences in explanations from the two books, you may start and find yourself getting confused. This is something else my lecturer had discovered.
Stormy32

Postby Athefre » Tue 11.04.2008 5:57 pm

How does this combination sound for someone just starting Hiragana and Katakana and will spend most of their studying time away from a computer:

1. The Japanese for Everyone book
2. This site (when I'm at the computer, don't always have time for this)
3. Dream Kana (a flash card type of program)
4. Maybe My Japanese Coach
5. Maybe buy flash cards (I'll probably make my own)

I have My Japanese Coach on the list because I would need some way of easily and quickly practicing writing the Kana. Another reason is I might need some kind of fun way of practicing, I am enjoying learning Kana without it and can't wait to get to Kanji but just in case. I read that it teaches Romaji right in the beginning and I'm not interested in learning that yet, also I don't now if the Kana are grouped the way I want to learn them. I want to learn them the way they are shown on this site "a,e,i,o,u" being one group, "sa, se, si, so, su" being another, THEN teaching that "za, ze, zi, zo, zu" are the same as "sa, se, si, so, su" just with ten-ten. If they aren't grouped in MJC wouldn't it be hard for me to practice the current group I'm learning?

I would probably first buy Japanese For Everyone, then MJC. How much Kanji does JFE cover? How much Kanji does MJC cover (I read that it doesn't group them as similar characters/meanings per lesson)?
Athefre

Next

Return to Learning Materials Reviews & Language Learning tips