Learn Japanese with JapanesePod101.com

View topic - Inverted way of life

Inverted way of life

Post questions and answers about living or visiting Japan or the culture

Inverted way of life

Postby Ragevx1 » Mon 08.18.2008 10:00 pm

North American's and Japanese, do they mix? I've been watching J-Drama's and shows lately, and noticed that North American's books read from left to right and driver's seat is on the left side. In Japan (and all other Asian countries) read from right to left, and driver seat is on the right, even driving lanes are opposite. Although I've noticed this prior to the shows and stuff. So I was wondering what are your thoughts on it? Why is it like this?

For North American's immigrated to Japan, how do you get use to the transition of left to right and vice versa.
Ragevx1

Re: Inverted way of life

Postby chikara » Mon 08.18.2008 10:06 pm

Ragevx1 wrote:North American's and Japanese, do they mix? I've been watching J-Drama's and shows lately, and noticed that North American's books read from left to right and driver's seat is on the left side. In Japan (and all other Asian countries) read from right to left, and driver seat is on the right, even driving lanes are opposite. Although I've noticed this prior to the shows and stuff. So I was wondering what are your thoughts on it? Why is it like this?

For North American's immigrated to Japan, how do you get use to the transition of left to right and vice versa.

Have you ever been outside North America? maybe it is your way of life that is "inverted".

Personally I found it more difficult to adjust to driving in North America than I would find it in Japan (where I haven't actually driven).
Don't complain to me that people kick you when you're down. It's your own fault for lying there
chikara

Native language: English (Australian)

Postby ニッキー » Mon 08.18.2008 10:22 pm

Ragevx1 wrote:North American's and Japanese, do they mix? I've been watching J-Drama's and shows lately, and noticed that North American's books read from left to right and driver's seat is on the left side. In Japan (and all other Asian countries) read from right to left, and driver seat is on the right, even driving lanes are opposite. Although I've noticed this prior to the shows and stuff. So I was wondering what are your thoughts on it? Why is it like this?

Why wouldn't they mix? Last time I checked there wasn't actually any difference between humans in North America and humans in the rest of the world, and the rest of the world doesn't seem to have a problem. Plenty of Brits have driven in continental Europe and there are plenty of people from the continent driving around in the UK! People who speak English and Arabic have no problem reading a book in Arabic from right to left and then a book in English from left to right... It's just a matter of what you're used to and if you do it enough, you'll get used to it.
ニッキー

Native language: British English

Postby Sairana » Mon 08.18.2008 10:56 pm

MY question is... how do Aussies cope with the water spiraling the wrong way down the drain? Now that's creepy! o.o

Ahem, all joking aside.... the question seems to make mountains out of molehills, especially since the title is rather dramatic in itself. Life isn't inverted in Japan just because text reads a different direction. And driving on the left side of the road is in many countries.

There's probably a lot of OTHER stuff that would contribute to significant culture shock.... but I don't speak from experience. ^_^
Sairana

Native language: (US) English

Postby Ragevx1 » Mon 08.18.2008 11:20 pm

I see what you guys are getting too, personally I haven't left North America yet so I wouldn't know how the real world is. And maybe 'mix' would be a rather irrelevant word for this, maybe someone else can suggest, I can't think of a good word for it. But anyways I see what you guys are getting too
Ragevx1

Postby weirdo36 » Tue 08.19.2008 7:51 am

hum.. Ragevx1 I must say that like all other people here also stated those 2 subjects don't really have all that much to do with beeing from North America im Dutch and Im also used to drive on the right and read from the left to the right. Anyway to answer youre question, i think it's not all that important that they drive on a different side her but it sure does feel awkward I keep thinking they are driving on the wrong side of the way here. Anyway im sure il get used to it soon enough and reading from to the right to the left is even easier to get used to so it's not a big problem.
weirdo36

Postby two_heads_talking » Tue 08.19.2008 11:16 am

chikara wrote:

Have you ever been outside North America? maybe it is your way of life that is "inverted".

Personally I found it more difficult to adjust to driving in North America than I would find it in Japan (where I haven't actually driven).

Well, Chikara, depending on where you stand, Australia and North America are indeed inverted from each other.. So, you are inverted to us and we are inverted to you.. At least until we meet face to face, then there is no inversion. I always said that the only thing keeping the world from flying off it's axis is the fact that whenever a northern continent toilet is being flushed, a southern continent toilet is being flushed also, thus keeping the balance as each spins in the opposite direction.. :mrgreen: :wink:
two_heads_talking

Native language: English

Postby spin13 » Tue 08.19.2008 12:07 pm

Ragevx1 wrote:I see what you guys are getting too, personally I haven't left North America yet so I wouldn't know how the real world is.

I'm pretty sure that not having left North America has nothing to do with ignorance of the real world. In an effort to help you fix your problem, I suggest first getting comfortable with the fact that the Real World is not just Some Place Else.

This is how the world works. All energy flows according to the whims of the Great Magnet. What a fool you would be to defy him.
You're probably not as smart as you think.
Unskilled and Unaware
spin13

Postby chikara » Tue 08.19.2008 9:51 pm

two_heads_talking wrote:...... I always said that the only thing keeping the world from flying off it's axis is the fact that whenever a northern continent toilet is being flushed, a southern continent toilet is being flushed also, thus keeping the balance as each spins in the opposite direction.. :mrgreen: :wink:

No wonder the earth's axis is on a lean. The population, and therefore the number of flushing toilets, of the Northern Hemisphere is far greater than that of the Southern Hemisphere :)
Don't complain to me that people kick you when you're down. It's your own fault for lying there
chikara

Postby Oni » Wed 08.20.2008 2:27 am

You guys are so weird. -_-
Oni, defender of noobs. - "Have you hugged a noob lately?"
http://n-one.deviantart.com/art/RAoK-quot-Hug-a-N00B-quot-30686603
Oni

Postby two_heads_talking » Wed 08.20.2008 10:09 am

chikara wrote:
two_heads_talking wrote:...... I always said that the only thing keeping the world from flying off it's axis is the fact that whenever a northern continent toilet is being flushed, a southern continent toilet is being flushed also, thus keeping the balance as each spins in the opposite direction.. :mrgreen: :wink:

No wonder the earth's axis is on a lean. The population, and therefore the number of flushing toilets, of the Northern Hemisphere is far greater than that of the Southern Hemisphere :)

LOL, touché. However, all the new toilets in teh US are going to the less than 1/2 a gallon per flush vs the old standard that flushed 3-5 gallons per flush, so, that might just keep things balanced.
two_heads_talking

Postby chikara » Wed 08.20.2008 9:25 pm

two_heads_talking wrote:LOL, touché. However, all the new toilets in teh US are going to the less than 1/2 a gallon per flush vs the old standard that flushed 3-5 gallons per flush, so, that might just keep things balanced.

We have dual flush toilets (full flush/half flush) down here. They are compulsory in just about every state for new buildings.
chikara

Postby two_heads_talking » Thu 08.21.2008 12:01 pm

chikara wrote:
two_heads_talking wrote:LOL, touché. However, all the new toilets in teh US are going to the less than 1/2 a gallon per flush vs the old standard that flushed 3-5 gallons per flush, so, that might just keep things balanced.

We have dual flush toilets (full flush/half flush) down here. They are compulsory in just about every state for new buildings.

With new buildings/houses the low water usage toilets are required. And lately, you can't find a large water usage toilet. but I have never heard of the dual type. I suppose those are for people who have fiber issues and drop dueces that consist of molasses and tar or sap.. :mrgreen:
two_heads_talking

Postby Harisenbon » Thu 08.21.2008 8:00 pm

two_heads_talking wrote:With new buildings/houses the low water usage toilets are required. And lately, you can't find a large water usage toilet. but I have never heard of the dual type. I suppose those are for people who have fiber issues and drop dueces that consist of molasses and tar or sap.. :mrgreen:

Most the toilets here are dual flush as well. The "low flush" will flush as long as you hold down the lever, while the "big flush" or "big bertha" empties the tank.

I miss the "what's the environment" toilets I had as a kid. It would empty the whole 20 gallon tank on one flush, fill it up, and flush it again just to make sure. :mrgreen:
Want to learn Japanese the right way? How about for free?
Ippatsu // Japanesetesting.com
Harisenbon

Native language: (poor) English

Postby chikara » Thu 08.21.2008 8:40 pm

two_heads_talking wrote:...... I suppose those are for people who have fiber issues and drop dueces that consist of molasses and tar or sap.. :mrgreen:
No, half flush is for number ones and full flush is for number twos. You don't get a bigger flush you only get an "average" flush or a smaller one.
chikara

Next

Return to Culture and Info about living in Japan