Learn Japanese with JapanesePod101.com

View topic - Show a little concern and appreciation for our regulars

Show a little concern and appreciation for our regulars

Do you have any comments to tjp.com, good or bad?

Show a little concern and appreciation for our regulars

Postby ss » Fri 02.01.2008 1:23 am

xxx wrote:
All I see is a decent chap trying to start a conversation with other human beings, and all the regular dicks come out flashing their claws and stomping all over this poor bloke.

xxx wrote:
I've stopped going here for a while simply because of some of the responses, and the lack of respect to those who are brand new to learning about a new country/culture(no matter what your age is).

When I read the above comments, I actually wanted to respond to that thread at once, but I hesitated, partly I was terribly busy for the past couple of days, partly also I hated to fight with people. I hate to argue, it’s not at all a pleasant feeling. After some struggling, I decided to create this thread, but I have to make myself clear I am not inviting anyone for opinions. Pardon me for not able to bottle up my feeling for people who I like and respect, I just want to say a few words here.

To be frank, the only reason that keeps me wanting to visit this forum simply because of these heartfelt caring people like Coco, Tony, Richvh, Harisenbon, Oyaji, Keatonatron, Wakannai, Tanuki, Oracle, Mike Cash, Gundiaepo, Caroline, Hungryhotei, Shirasagi, Yudan...... They never hesitate to lend their helping hands, and they are someone I can learn something from, not only the language, but invaluable lessons you can’t get even with paying. There are also some young teens like Hatori, Kisshu, Nessa, Sei, Enji, probably some others (sorry I can’t remember), I can see that they are making every effort to express themselves clear with questions or comments, they are somehow giving me a very friendly impression, and they act maturely to different circumstances, and can take remarks graciously, their posts are sometimes interesting and do not stop you from wanting to interact with them.

I want to highlight those regulars here, I’ve never found them flashing their claws and attacking viciously. All I can see are --- reasoning, leading, correcting, coaching and giving constructive advice. Honestly, if you care to read all their past posts and make an effort to know them a little, you’ll find them helpful, accurate and approachable.

You have the freedom to choose, if you ever find this forum not suitable, there are tons of sites out there waiting for you. You are not committed to this forum, just the same as the regular volunteers here, (there are people who just come and go, including some moderators) they are not paid a single cent, they are not praised when they have done something nice, they do not get any reward or credit for balancing a good job here. It’s not easy.

I can understand a lead to a bad feeling if they are people who keep finding faults even when you’ve done your best or constantly bringing you down deliberately, but they never. If you think rationally, they are rather, one party always being the giver, and the other only the taker. I do not see any unreasonable setting of standards they pose and expect you to live up with. They even care to cheer you up when they see your post of some personal problems. They keep this forum clean and pleasant, they even care to keep a good watch over trolling matters. What’s more are we expecting?

I believe they know what they need to do. If something happens to go against what we expect them to do, that we feel hurt, disappointed and even angry, it’s probably also a good time we need to reflect ourselves. Do be understanding, give each other another chance, show your appreciation when they do something nice for you. Same thing, it’s nice for us to feel appreciated too.

To Clay-san and his admin team,

If there were anyone that comes flashing their claws, I must be the one indeed, ban me if there's a need to do so. Kindly lock this thread, as I mentioned above, I just wanted to share my feeling here, no intention for further discussion. Thanks for reading.
ss

Native language: English speaking family

Re: Show a little concern and appreciation for our regulars

Postby BrianM » Sun 08.17.2008 11:08 pm

Well said. Although I have had my "boughts" with someone here a few times, I do realize that it's a different opinion that may be said in a more real world sense. And that may seem harsh. I would also like to add that most admins have to deal with multiple posts over and over even though the rules say to search before posting something. That can make them a bit hostile, which is understandable.
I love this forum and it helps me everyday in my studies. Having most of the admins being foreigners who are living in Japan is also a major bonus and a blessing as it gives us prospective learners a chance to ask questions and get valuable insight.
BrianM

Native language: English/Portuguese

Postby richvh » Sun 08.17.2008 11:30 pm

Having most of the admins being foreigners who are living in Japan

Hate to break this to you, but most of us admins aren't foreigners living in Japan. I think at the moment the only active admin living in Japan is Clay, and that's just temporary to get Japanese dual citizenship for his new child, I think. (Keatonatron is also an admin living in Japan, but he hasn't been active lately that I've seen.) Tony and I have lived in Japan in the past, but I did my time there on a US military base, which isn't really the same experience (you're in a little American enclave most of the time, and only have to interact with non-bilingual Japanese if you walk out the gate, unless you have a translating billet like Two Heads did.) I'm not sure if any of our other admins, active or inactive, have even been to Japan.
Richard VanHouten
ゆきの物語
richvh

Postby AJBryant » Mon 08.18.2008 2:42 am

Thanks, Shirley. :D

Tony
AJBryant
Site Admin

Native language: English

Postby ss » Mon 08.18.2008 4:42 am

Papa,
Like what BrianM said, I'm also one of them really love coming to TJP. I know I can learn a lot of things here.
Sometimes, I feel that there is a distinction between "insult" and "stern response", but I'm no good in describing them with words.

As Phreadom points out, people absolutely are going to make mistakes, so do all of us. I think Vkladchik-san has a lot to offer here, he is going to be a valuable member like the regulars here.

I want to thank you for always being here with us too. :P

@BrianM
I'm in shock to see this thread revived.
Reading posts here have become part of my routine, I love TJP too.
I hope you have a good vacation in Japan. Grasp every opportunity to learn. Best of luck and may all happiness be with you, every day. :P
ss

Postby AJBryant » Mon 08.18.2008 5:46 am

Sometimes, a little necro-post is a happy thing. :)

Tony
AJBryant
Site Admin

Postby ss » Tue 08.19.2008 5:27 am

Everyone needs a hand to soothe things over. ^_^
ss

Postby AJBryant » Tue 08.19.2008 12:41 pm

Oh, yeah. :)

Tony
AJBryant
Site Admin

Postby tanuki » Tue 08.19.2008 1:56 pm

Especially when things get hard.
僕の下手な日本語を直してください。
tanuki

Postby AJBryant » Tue 08.19.2008 4:30 pm

Dang, you're naughtier than *I* am. ;)

Tony
AJBryant
Site Admin

Postby ss » Tue 08.19.2008 8:43 pm

Hey, naughty can be fun sometimes.

It's really boring without 子狸 and SuperNinjaPapa being naughty here! ~Ding Dang Dong~ 8)
ss

Postby chikara » Tue 08.19.2008 9:17 pm

AJBryant wrote:Sometimes, a little necro-post is a happy thing. :)

isn't that a bit like flogging a dead horse ...... no, wait, that was something different.
Don't complain to me that people kick you when you're down. It's your own fault for lying there
chikara

Native language: English (Australian)

Postby tanuki » Wed 08.20.2008 7:29 am

SS wrote:Hey, naughty can be fun sometimes. (...) ~Ding Dang Dong~ 8)

:shock: SS-san, you too?

:wink:
僕の下手な日本語を直してください。
tanuki

Postby ss » Wed 08.20.2008 11:19 am

子狸、Define "naughty" :twisted:

Next time if you’re tuning in FM96.30, do let me know, I am in FM90.50, ya know. :evil:

[b]Do you want to tune in FM 82.5?

We should include ここ姫!  :lol:

Hey, seriously, sometimes I don't mind a little joke or teasing chimes in the right time. Amongst mature adults だけ :twisted:
ss

Postby AJBryant » Wed 08.20.2008 1:31 pm

SS wrote:Hey, naughty can be fun sometimes.

It's really boring without 子狸 and SuperNinjaPapa being naughty here! ~Ding Dang Dong~ 8)

<sproing>
AJBryant
Site Admin

Next

Return to Comments