Learn Japanese with JapanesePod101.com

View topic - Jobs in japan for foreigners

Jobs in japan for foreigners

Post questions and answers about living or visiting Japan or the culture

Jobs in japan for foreigners

Postby kyubisharingan » Thu 08.21.2008 12:24 pm

Not sure if this question has been asked, but, what are some good jobs for foreigners in japan? I mostly hear being a teacher, but i dont wanna do that. But i was thinking about one of those jobs umm....forget what they are called....but if anyone has seen "the Grudge", that american family had a job in an office setting.....ANYWAY, what are some jobs? i hope to oneday move there, but of course i have to get a good paying job
kyubisharingan

Re: Jobs in japan for foreigners

Postby gfunk » Thu 08.21.2008 6:35 pm

You see that search box at the top corner of the website? Yeah, do work on that box... cause many of your doubts can be answered through it.

In the end, almost any job available in whatever country you're from will be available in Japan. The problem is why would a company hire someone who doesn't have native language ability and that doesn't know their culture?

IF you want a good paying job: go to college, get a degree (maybe even a masters), make sure you're extremely proficient in Japanese and gain experience in whatever job you wanna do in Japan in your own country first. After that, maybe you might have a chance.
gfunk

Postby Mike Cash » Fri 08.22.2008 5:03 am

Two phrases are key:

1. Visa Eligibility

2. Marketable Job Skills

#2 is useless without #1, so research #1 first.
Never underestimate my capacity for pettiness.
Mike Cash

Native language: English

Postby NeoUmbra » Tue 09.02.2008 3:47 am

Just wondering then, is getting a degree from somewhere outside of a Japanese Uni less reputable than Japanese Uni's.
NeoUmbra

Postby Harisenbon » Tue 09.02.2008 3:55 am

NeoUmbra wrote:Just wondering then, is getting a degree from somewhere outside of a Japanese Uni less reputable than Japanese Uni's.

Not necessarily. It generally depends on the college.

Here's a better question: How were you planning on entering a Japanese University? (Being an exchange student at a Japanese college does not count as having graduated from that college)
Want to learn Japanese the right way? How about for free?
Ippatsu // Japanesetesting.com
Harisenbon

Native language: (poor) English

Postby Mike Cash » Tue 09.02.2008 6:26 am

Don't you just love it when people ask questions then abandon their own threads?
Never underestimate my capacity for pettiness.
Mike Cash

Postby NeoUmbra » Mon 09.08.2008 4:29 am

Harisenbon wrote:
NeoUmbra wrote:Just wondering then, is getting a degree from somewhere outside of a Japanese Uni less reputable than Japanese Uni's.

Not necessarily. It generally depends on the college.

Here's a better question: How were you planning on entering a Japanese University? (Being an exchange student at a Japanese college does not count as having graduated from that college)

I wasnt planning on entering a Japanese University i was just wondering, if i ever wanted to move to japan if i could take my qualifications with me and be able to use them as i would have if i had attended a Japanese Uni.
NeoUmbra

Postby Rkiou_Learner » Tue 09.09.2008 6:12 pm

well
I'm studying Setting and I want to work in japan
I guess I will look for job in something like a videogame company n_n
Rkiou_Learner

Postby richvh » Tue 09.09.2008 6:30 pm

You're not likely to be able to get a job with a Japanese video game company unless you already have a high level of Japanese.
richvh

Postby OokamiWolf » Mon 09.22.2008 2:44 pm

Another good question for this thread, is what can you do with Japanese in America? I personally live a 20 minute drive away from the Toyota Headquarters here in Kentucky. Also, in our area there are several Japanese run restaurants. Those are a few to dirbble off. Any other ideas?
OokamiWolf

Postby chikara » Mon 09.22.2008 9:10 pm

OokamiWolf wrote:Another good question for this thread, is what can you do with Japanese in America? I personally live a 20 minute drive away from the Toyota Headquarters here in Kentucky. Also, in our area there are several Japanese run restaurants. Those are a few to dirbble off. Any other ideas?

Yes, start a new thread as that is not "another good question for this thread" the topic of which is "Jobs in japan (sic) for foreigners" not "Jobs for Japanese speakers in the USA". :wink:
Don't complain to me that people kick you when you're down. It's your own fault for lying there
chikara

Native language: English (Australian)

Postby cocosushi » Thu 11.20.2008 2:24 am

The site to go to to look for job in Japan is
www.daijob.com
Eventually, this is turning into a global economy and if japan wants to survive they have to eventually make it easier for foriengers to live and to get a job here or other wise they'll be in a loong rescession like now. The classic way of course is make a japanese friend and network to get a job or just move to japan and look for a job.
cocosushi

Postby Dehitay » Thu 11.20.2008 1:00 pm

cocosushi wrote:The site to go to to look for job in Japan is
http://www.daijob.com
Eventually, this is turning into a global economy and if japan wants to survive they have to eventually make it easier for foriengers to live and to get a job here or other wise they'll be in a loong rescession like now. The classic way of course is make a japanese friend and network to get a job or just move to japan and look for a job.

I don't know much about economics, so my logic works on a different level; but when you say that opening jobs up to foreigners would help ease out of the recession, how exactly does that work? I can't help but think that giving jobs to foreigners would actually make it harder on the average Japanese citizen.
www.bananamonkeyninja.com
The only webcomic endorsed by Banana Monkey Ninja
Dehitay

Postby chikara » Thu 11.20.2008 7:25 pm

Dehitay wrote:I don't know much about economics, so my logic works on a different level; but when you say that opening jobs up to foreigners would help ease out of the recession, how exactly does that work? I can't help but think that giving jobs to foreigners would actually make it harder on the average Japanese citizen.

You may not know much about economics but the Australian government agrees with you if that is any consolation. :)

One of the responses to the Global Financial Crisis in this country has been the reduction in the number of skilled worker visas being made available. The recession (although apparently we aren't quite in one yet, maybe next week) has led to an increase in unemployment so it doesn't make sense to bring in foreign workers when there aren't enough jobs for local workers.
Don't complain to me that people kick you when you're down. It's your own fault for lying there
chikara

Native language: English (Australian)

Return to Culture and Info about living in Japan