Learn Japanese with JapanesePod101.com

View topic - Death note

Death note

Anything relating to Anime or Manga - what's new, what you like, etc...

Death note

Postby Narutofan » Mon 10.24.2005 4:09 pm

Who has read death note....and i want to hear why you do or don't like the book.
i\'m only right b/c i\'m in my own little world...

WEEEEEEEEE!!!!!
Narutofan

RE: Death note

Postby Harisenbon » Mon 10.24.2005 9:01 pm

My review from when I first picked up the book:

I am reading a comic that was recommended to me by one of my students because it is "interesting and has realistic stories."

The plot is about a high school boy who finds a notebook wherein if you write the name of someone, they will die in the next 40 seconds. He is now accompanied by a god of death known as Ryuk. The book is called death note. I'm really wondering what kind of world my student lives in.

The manga itself would be ok except for the fact that I hate the main character. He's such a stupid little know-it-all prick. I often like know-it-all characters like Van (escaflowne) and Inuyasha (mmm. Inuyasha), but this guy does really stupid things or things that make no sense, and everyone around him goes "my god, you're brilliant!". The fifth time the god of death said "I've never met anyone as brilliant as you in my 5000 years of existence." I almost lost my lunch.

DeathNote D-
Want to learn Japanese the right way? How about for free?
Ippatsu // Japanesetesting.com
Harisenbon

Native language: (poor) English

Postby Kates » Tue 10.25.2005 11:48 am

I read the first chapter or so, scanlated, and thought it was an interesting idea. I liked the art. But I believe I've only read the first chapter or two... and while I thought it was interesting, I haven't bothered to go after any more. Hm.... I guess that says something, huh? And here I thought I actually liked DeathNote... But, well, I know it's really popular with American manga-readers right now, so maybe you'll enjoy it.
Kates

Postby zengargoyle » Tue 10.25.2005 2:06 pm

heh, thought this was going to be about 辞世 (じせい).
zengargoyle

Postby Narutofan » Wed 10.26.2005 4:52 pm

it's really popular with American manga-readers right now, so maybe you'll enjoy it.
well it's just been released... in america

WEEEEEEEEE!!!!!
Narutofan

Postby Kates » Wed 10.26.2005 7:34 pm

It doesn't have to be licensed by an American company for Americans to be able to read it you know.... :O I've known about DeathNote since it was published in Japan, and knew of ways to get it before it was published in English. (And no, this doesn't mean reading it in Japanese.) But, technically, that's illegal so I won't talk about it anymore. (:
Kates

Postby Harisenbon » Wed 10.26.2005 8:49 pm

I'm assisting you in something illegal?!? NOOOO! I DIDN'T KNOW!!!!!!
SAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAVE ME!!!!!!!!!

That was off-topic.
Stupid Deathnote.
Back on topic. =)
Harisenbon

Postby Kates » Thu 10.27.2005 2:13 pm

*off topic*
MWA HA HA!
*in Dark Helmet voice* FOOOOOOL YOOOOU!
I win!
We can pretend it's not illegal since *** isn't licensed by an American company, though. ^_~ (But we'd be fooling ourselves.)
*back to topic*
Last edited by Kates on Thu 10.27.2005 2:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Kates

Postby Narutofan » Thu 10.27.2005 6:48 pm

I've known about DeathNote since it was published in Japan, and knew of ways to get it before it was published in English. (And no, this doesn't mean reading it in Japanese.) But, technically, that's illegal so I won't talk about it anymore. (:
I want to know how to get it before it is published in english....technically it's illegal.....so what...i can take a few risks to read a few mangas...>.<

WEEEEEEEEE!!!!!
Narutofan

Postby Kates » Thu 10.27.2005 10:13 pm

:O Sharing such info would be against the rules of thejapanesepage.com! (At least, I ASSUME SO...) You shouldn't even ask. Shame shame shame. >_>
Kates

Postby Harisenbon » Thu 10.27.2005 10:25 pm

Really? I thought people sharing video and TV shows on this site was a much more flagrent abuse of copyright. *laugh*

You should just do a google search for "scanilation" "translation" "manga" or something simliar, and then the name of the manga you're looking for. I'm sure you'll find something. =)
Harisenbon

Postby neobie » Sat 10.29.2005 12:39 am

デスノートあい
neobie

Postby kaze89 » Sun 10.30.2005 12:53 pm

I absolutely love Death Note...it's currently my favourite.
I don't think I've ever seen a cooler 'detective' than L *lol* He alone makes the series great...it's just too bad....
kaze89

Native language: German

Postby JoshM » Sun 10.30.2005 1:15 pm

Hmn. I share the same view from Harisenbon. There is something about the main character that I also don't like. Too much egoccentric for me, but the manga per se is OK. Particularly, I liked the "antagonist", L. He, at least, is way funnier.
JoshM

Postby Digglu » Thu 11.03.2005 12:57 am

Hm I did enjoy reading a good deal of it, it's a great story. The whole cat and mouse game between Raito and L was great. Although, for those who have read it (I'm going to be as obscure as possible here to avoid spoilers) but once 2 new, younger characters are introduced at once (hopefully that's not TOO obscure =P), I felt it went downhill. Fast. Until then though, I totally recommend it. L is cool, but I like Raito more.
Digglu

Return to Anime and Manga Discussions