Learn Japanese with JapanesePod101.com

View topic - tattoo

tattoo

NO SPAM ALLOWED! Discuss stuff not related to Japan or Japanese. The rules are the same in this forum as in the other forums.

Re: tattoo

Postby ladystardust » Fri 08.15.2008 4:03 pm

By the way, Doraemon IS probably one of the coolest tattoos I have heard of!
ladystardust

Postby Ragevx1 » Mon 08.18.2008 9:28 pm

Do people actually live with it their whole life? I mean like... they have a permanent tattoo on their flesh...
Ragevx1

Postby chikara » Mon 08.18.2008 9:35 pm

Ragevx1 wrote:Do people actually live with it their whole life? I mean like... they have a permanent tattoo on their flesh...

I doubt people are talking about henna tattoos.
Don't complain to me that people kick you when you're down. It's your own fault for lying there
chikara

Native language: English (Australian)

Postby Ragevx1 » Mon 08.18.2008 9:39 pm

I see... so that would be a child's thing, like water tattoo's? But the other guy mentioned gym teacher with his name on his arm, I doubt that's a water tattoo
Ragevx1

Postby chikara » Mon 08.18.2008 9:52 pm

Ragevx1 wrote:I see... so that would be a child's thing, like water tattoo's? But the other guy mentioned gym teacher with his name on his arm, I doubt that's a water tattoo

All of the tattoos being talked about are "real" permanent tattoos. That is why I said "I doubt people are talking about henna tattoos."

That "other guy" was me. ;)
Don't complain to me that people kick you when you're down. It's your own fault for lying there
chikara

Postby furrykef » Sat 08.23.2008 2:27 am

I know I'll never get a tattoo (not my thing, too painful, etc.), but if I were to get one, I'd probably get one that says 漢字. That or 入れ墨.
Founder of Learning Languages Through Video Games.
Also see my lang-8 journal, where you can help me practice Japanese (and Spanish, and Italian!)
furrykef

Native language: Eggo (ワッフル語の方言)

Postby chikara » Sun 08.24.2008 7:15 am

furrykef wrote:I know I'll never get a tattoo .....

I intend to get a tattoo across my chest when I am old enough.

It will say NOT FOR RESUSCITATION.

I wonder if I should get it in other languages as well.
chikara

Postby becki_kanou » Sun 08.24.2008 11:13 am

I'm back from my 里帰り and I can upload images again, so if anyone still cares here's that Doraemon tattoo I mentioned a while back.

Also, the hubby and I got a tattoo last week for our one year anniversary. 2 points if you get the (admittedly bad) joke.
そうだ、嬉しいんだ、生きる喜び!
例え胸の傷が痛んでも。
becki_kanou

Skype chat: yes_becki
Native language: U.S. English, 米語

Postby Gaddo » Mon 08.25.2008 1:12 am

Those two are really cute tattoo's.
Gaddo

Native language: English

Postby Dehitay » Fri 08.29.2008 8:44 pm

I got a tattoo of my own in my long absence. A large tribal design on my chest. However, one of the things that surprised me most is one of my Japanese friends actually got a kanji tattooed on his shoulder. He's a Nagasaki born Japanese native so it surprised me. For some reason, I have fallen under the impression that it's westerners that get kanji tattooed on them.

His tattoo is the single character 子. I would have gotten weird ideas if he didn't immediately tell me why. He was born in the year of the rat (so was I for that matter). Another thing that interested me is that nobody even said anything when he went back home and visited some onsen locations.
www.bananamonkeyninja.com
The only webcomic endorsed by Banana Monkey Ninja
Dehitay

Native language: English

Postby Kumani » Sun 08.31.2008 7:17 pm

Harisenbon wrote:
tanuki wrote:Mind showing it to us? We won't laugh.

You can't guarantee that. :mrgreen:

I find that sometimes, even when the person has a perfectly legible kanji tattooed on them, it still doesn't mean what they think it means. For example, my friend had a beautifully done kanji on her arm. It looked like real shoudo was put directly on her. She asked me what it meant, and I told her "princess" and she looked absolutely crestfallen. Apparently she had wanted something different, but I never found out what that was.

Wow, people who do that just tend to care about appearance. Because I happen to have a kanji tattoo on my ankle and it's absolutely beautiful, I know what they all mean and it's just how I wanted it to.
Kumani

Previous

Return to General off topic