Learn Japanese with JapanesePod101.com

View topic - Inverted way of life

Inverted way of life

Post questions and answers about living or visiting Japan or the culture

Re: Inverted way of life

Postby two_heads_talking » Fri 08.22.2008 11:04 am

Harisenbon wrote:
two_heads_talking wrote:With new buildings/houses the low water usage toilets are required. And lately, you can't find a large water usage toilet. but I have never heard of the dual type. I suppose those are for people who have fiber issues and drop dueces that consist of molasses and tar or sap.. :mrgreen:

Most the toilets here are dual flush as well. The "low flush" will flush as long as you hold down the lever, while the "big flush" or "big bertha" empties the tank.

I miss the "what's the environment" toilets I had as a kid. It would empty the whole 20 gallon tank on one flush, fill it up, and flush it again just to make sure. :mrgreen:

My preference is the supercharged version that Tim Taylor perfected on "Tooltime" (on the show home improvement) Which, similar to cruise ships, sucks the contents of the toilet out and moves it from the tank at 50 miles per hour. when it flushes, is sounds like a v8 with glasspacks.. that's the kinda flush I like.
two_heads_talking

Native language: English

Postby Harisenbon » Fri 08.22.2008 12:32 pm

two_heads_talking wrote:My preference is the supercharged version that Tim Taylor perfected on "Tooltime" (on the show home improvement) Which, similar to cruise ships, sucks the contents of the toilet out and moves it from the tank at 50 miles per hour. when it flushes, is sounds like a v8 with glasspacks.. that's the kinda flush I like.

ARR ARR ARR ARRRRRR!! :D
Want to learn Japanese the right way? How about for free?
Ippatsu // Japanesetesting.com
Harisenbon

Native language: (poor) English

Postby Mike Cash » Fri 08.22.2008 8:35 pm

two_heads_talking wrote:With new buildings/houses the low water usage toilets are required. And lately, you can't find a large water usage toilet. but I have never heard of the dual type. I suppose those are for people who have fiber issues and drop dueces that consist of molasses and tar or sap.. :mrgreen:

They have been the 当たり前どこにもある default toilet in Japan seemingly forever. I've never seen a toilet in Japan that was not dual flush. EDIT: I've never seen a flush toilet in Japan that was not dual flush. I've seen a few non-flush toilets.

I heard some news report out of the US a year or two ago about some plumbing industry trade show in Japan. The American reporter filed a story about the innovative "new" dual flush. Further evidence that journalism has gone to hell.

Similarly, I hear that the Rinnai company is now flogging its tankless water heaters in America, but first has to educate the populace that such a thing is even possible. Again, it has been the norm in Japan seemingly forever. If you want to get a puzzled look, try explaining to Japanese friends the concept of an American-style hot water heater.
Last edited by Mike Cash on Sat 08.23.2008 3:47 am, edited 1 time in total.
Never underestimate my capacity for pettiness.
Mike Cash

Postby Harisenbon » Fri 08.22.2008 9:03 pm

Mike Cash wrote:Similarly, I hear that the Rinnai company is now flogging its tankless water heaters in America, but first has to educate the populace that such a thing is even possible. Again, it has been the norm in Japan seemingly forever. If you want to get a puzzled look, try explaining to Japanese friends the concept of an American-style hot water heater.

Tried and failed multiple times.
All students when they go abroad now are warned that their houses may "run out of hot water" if too many people take a shower in the morning. This is especially horrible for a culture that loves their deep, hot furos. The students usually can't for the life of them figure out why that would happen. I've explained that in the west, we preheat all our water for use later, and the universal response is "why?"

Honestly, I have no clue why we do that.
The number of ceilings I've seen ruined by a leaking water heater makes me wonder why we use the things at all.
Want to learn Japanese the right way? How about for free?
Ippatsu // Japanesetesting.com
Harisenbon

Native language: (poor) English

Postby Wakannai » Fri 08.22.2008 9:18 pm

You guys are redefining the term: Toilet Humor.
Wakannai

Postby two_heads_talking » Mon 08.25.2008 9:54 am

Mike Cash wrote:

They have been the 当たり前どこにもある default toilet in Japan seemingly forever. I've never seen a toilet in Japan that was not dual flush. EDIT: I've never seen a flush toilet in Japan that was not dual flush. I've seen a few non-flush toilets..

Well shoot, I never had the privelage to see one. Granted I was only in Japan for an extended period of time for 2 years and our apartments/houses might not have been high end.

and all the military excercises were either in field or at older barracks.. I guess I completely missed out. Although I did get to use many unrinals in high rise buidling that were designed on the outside wall, which happened to be glass so that you could see all around you.. That was pretty original.
two_heads_talking

Postby chikara » Mon 08.25.2008 9:02 pm

two_heads_talking wrote:...... Although I did get to use many unrinals in high rise buidling that were designed on the outside wall, which happened to be glass so that you could see all around you.. That was pretty original.

A number of high rise buildings in this country have urinals next to floor to ceiling glass on the upper floors and I have used the end stall in one building which was "open" to the window on one side.

There is a restaurant I've been to a number of times in Darwin, Buzz Café, where the urinal is up against a glass wall that looks out into the dining area. Quite disconcerting :oops:

The toilet seats are made of clear resin with barbed wire and redback spiders embedded in them.
Don't complain to me that people kick you when you're down. It's your own fault for lying there
chikara

Native language: English (Australian)

Postby two_heads_talking » Tue 08.26.2008 1:36 pm

chikara wrote:
The toilet seats are made of clear resin with barbed wire and redback spiders embedded in them.

Now that's cool. I also didn't realize that Australia was into the highrise show stopper urinals. It's obvious that no one can see into the area, what with polarized glass, so that emberassment was never an issue with me. However, one tends to get abit nervous when the glass starts so low to the floor. Even if the glass was 24 inches off the floor it would normally leave someone with a more secure feeling as they looked over the ledge, but the lower it gets, the more your brain tells you to be careful and even though there is a full sized (from the floor to 48" up) urninal, you still have trepidation the first few times you encounter that..
two_heads_talking

Postby chikara » Tue 08.26.2008 9:20 pm

two_heads_talking wrote:Now that's cool. I also didn't realize that Australia was into the highrise show stopper urinals. ...

This is one I've been to in Melbourne (not my pic).

The sports stadium on the right is the Melbourne Cricket Ground (MCG) which was the used as the main stadium for the 1956 Olympics.
Don't complain to me that people kick you when you're down. It's your own fault for lying there
chikara

Postby Oracle » Tue 08.26.2008 11:12 pm

chikara wrote:There is a restaurant I've been to a number of times in Darwin, Buzz Café, where the urinal is up against a glass wall that looks out into the dining area. Quite disconcerting :oops:

I've been there too! A work colleague who had been there many times played a great trick on a friend who had just gone in to the toilet for the first time: He waited a few moments and then from where we were seated outside gave a big wave and a grin towards where he knew the urinal was behind the glass. The guy inside apparently did not appreciate the joke :D
Oracle

Postby chikara » Tue 08.26.2008 11:32 pm

Oracle wrote:I've been there too! A work colleague who had been there many times played a great trick on a friend who had just gone in to the toilet for the first time: He waited a few moments and then from where we were seated outside gave a big wave and a grin towards where he knew the urinal was behind the glass. The guy inside apparently did not appreciate the joke :D
LOL :lol:

Actually my first experience of the "toilet with a view" was on the 40th floor (IIRC) of the Lennon's Building in Queen Street Mall back in 1982.
chikara

Postby Mike Cash » Wed 08.27.2008 7:12 am

chikara wrote:
two_heads_talking wrote:Now that's cool. I also didn't realize that Australia was into the highrise show stopper urinals. ...

This is one I've been to in Melbourne (not my pic).

The sports stadium on the right is the Melbourne Cricket Ground (MCG) which was the used as the main stadium for the 1956 Olympics.

Do all Australian urinals have two faucets?
Mike Cash

Postby two_heads_talking » Wed 08.27.2008 9:37 am

maybe my comp is out of whack, but I don't see any faucets at all.. What are you referring to MIKE?
two_heads_talking

Postby Mike Cash » Wed 08.27.2008 9:45 am

Makin' a funny. Look at the right side of the picture.

While the photo is ostensibly of the urinals, the only fixtures in complete view are the sinks.
Mike Cash

Postby becki_kanou » Wed 08.27.2008 9:56 am

I think it may be a matter of different browsers. The whole picture doesn't show for me unless I double click it, and in the original pic I saw the sinks are not visible at all. Perhaps THT saw it the same way?
そうだ、嬉しいんだ、生きる喜び!
例え胸の傷が痛んでも。
becki_kanou

Skype chat: yes_becki
Native language: U.S. English, 米語

PreviousNext

Return to Culture and Info about living in Japan