Learn Japanese with JapanesePod101.com

View topic - how long would it take to read manga in japanese?

how long would it take to read manga in japanese?

Anything relating to Anime or Manga - what's new, what you like, etc...

Re: how long would it take to read manga in japanese?

Postby becki_kanou » Wed 08.27.2008 12:56 am

Harisenbon wrote:"datteba yo"

What's that the sound effect for?
そうだ、嬉しいんだ、生きる喜び!
例え胸の傷が痛んでも。
becki_kanou

Skype chat: yes_becki
Native language: U.S. English, 米語

Postby Harisenbon » Wed 08.27.2008 1:34 am

becki_kanou wrote:

Not a sound effect, it's what Naruto puts on the end of EVERYING he says.
My friend got to meet the voice actor for naruto, and she begged him not to use naruto for studying Japanese. In her own words "I don't even know what I'm saying sometimes." *laugh*
Want to learn Japanese the right way? How about for free?
Ippatsu // Japanesetesting.com
Harisenbon

Native language: (poor) English

Postby becki_kanou » Wed 08.27.2008 1:44 am

Aha, Naruto! I've never watched that and probably never will. I was never a fan of fighting/ ninja/ whatever anime, except for maybe the old らんま1/2.

I agree with her though, any kind of ninja etc. anime is precisely the wrong place to learn useful Japanese.
そうだ、嬉しいんだ、生きる喜び!
例え胸の傷が痛んでも。
becki_kanou

Skype chat: yes_becki
Native language: U.S. English, 米語

Postby myles1260 » Wed 08.27.2008 10:14 am

harisenbon- i don't know, i guess i have a unique opinion, but to me, the sound effects look more like art and the kana just look better with the art. i just feel that since i like manga so much and i read it a lot, i would be being even more of a fan to the industry as well as the series (plural) that i like if i took the effort to learn japanese so i could read them the way the author originally intended.

i guess it just matters on the person's own views. also, part of the reason is that my two jap-american friends make fun of me for reading manga in english and they say it's only because i don't know japanese (or something like that). i took that as an insult to my intelligence as well as them looking down on me. and i am pretty stubborn so i hate when people look down on me and will do anything necessary to complete the challenge. this is sort of on a side note, but that's why i like naruto so much because that's what the story is all about; not giving up. also, i'm supposed to go to japan next year, so i think it would be cool if i started learning some.
myles1260

Postby Denus » Wed 08.27.2008 10:34 am

Harisenbon wrote:
becki_kanou wrote:

Not a sound effect, it's what Naruto puts on the end of EVERYING he says.
My friend got to meet the voice actor for naruto, and she begged him not to use naruto for studying Japanese. In her own words "I don't even know what I'm saying sometimes." *laugh*

Isn't ってば supposed to be something to show exasperation?
Denus

Postby Mike Cash » Wed 08.27.2008 11:12 am

myles1260 wrote:also, part of the reason is that my two jap-american friends make fun of me for reading manga in english and they say it's only because i don't know japanese (or something like that). i took that as an insult to my intelligence as well as them looking down on me.

1. Please try to avoid abbreviating as "Jap". It has racist overtones.
2. You either have incredibly thin skin or an overly-broad definition of "insult".

In what way is it an insult to your intelligence that you can't read a language you don't know?

It wasn't them looking down on you; it was 14 year olds being 14 year olds.

Regarding an earlier post in the thread in which you referred to one of them being about sixth-grade level in Japanese: I have two children, both of whom are monolingual native Japanese speakers (yes, that means all communication between me and my kids is in Japanese). One of them is 14 and the other 13. "Grade level" in terms of language ability is an entirely meaningless measure. They were both "fluent" (in terms of comprehension, speaking, grammar, etc) well before they started school. You can say your friend speaks broken Japanese, but to say it is sixth-grade level is to imply that it would be the equivalent of a sixth-grade monolingual Japanese kid, which is a ridiculous notion as those kids are 100% fluent native-speakers and already were years prior.
Never underestimate my capacity for pettiness.
Mike Cash

Native language: English

Postby Yudan Taiteki » Wed 08.27.2008 11:23 am

also, i'm supposed to go to japan next year

Are you doing an exchange program of some sort?
-Chris Kern
Yudan Taiteki

Postby Mike Cash » Wed 08.27.2008 3:51 pm

One other small but important item, if I may. By the time you learn enough Japanese to read Naruto, you will have long since outgrown Naruto.
Never underestimate my capacity for pettiness.
Mike Cash

Postby Yudan Taiteki » Wed 08.27.2008 4:02 pm

You may be giving people too much credit.

Haven't you seen grown people reading Shonen Jump on the train or at restaurants?
-Chris Kern
Yudan Taiteki

Postby Denus » Wed 08.27.2008 4:17 pm

Can't a grown man read comics written for pubescent boys? :(
Denus

Postby myles1260 » Wed 08.27.2008 5:33 pm

Ah, okay, sorry Mike Cash, for the inappropriate abbreviation. I had no intention of insulting anyone, nor am I racist in any way. I didn't even know that, but I'll definitely keep it in mind from now on. Again, I deeply apologize.

Also, I know it wasn't an insult, but sometimes that's how my brain works, which I think is actually good. Let me explain- basically when someone states my inability to do something, sort of like what i was talking about, I know completely that the person who said it had no intention of insulting anyone, but still my brain takes it as somewhat of a challenge/insult... That's the best way I can describe it for now. So that's what I meant.

When I said he was a sixth grade level, I pretty much meant in terms of writing, kanji, etc.
I wouldn't be able to describe it to the level you can, nor would I be able to do it accurately because my understanding of the language so far is not too great.

One more thing... By the time I learn enough Japanese to read Naruto, I would have outgrown it?!?!?!?!?!?!! NEVER!!!! NEVER NEVER! EVER! I'm actually serious though, I'll keep all my manga with me until I DIE. Yes, that's right. Naruto is my favorite, I don't think I'll outgrow it anytime soon. Also, there's actually a good possibility that with those two friends I mentioned helping me, as well as with a good Japanese dictionary (already have one on my computer), I could start reading it in 1-2 years.
myles1260

Postby Harisenbon » Wed 08.27.2008 9:26 pm

Mike Cash wrote:One other small but important item, if I may. By the time you learn enough Japanese to read Naruto, you will have long since outgrown Naruto.

I don't know.. I'm re-reading ranma right now, and I have to admit, it's as funny as the first time I read it 15 something years ago.

But to each his own. ;)
Want to learn Japanese the right way? How about for free?
Ippatsu // Japanesetesting.com
Harisenbon

Native language: (poor) English

Postby chikara » Wed 08.27.2008 9:58 pm

myles1260 wrote:.... sorry .... for the inappropriate abbreviation. I had no intention of insulting anyone, nor am I racist in any way. I didn't even know that ....

Please read before posting!

By your own admission you obviously didn't :wink:
Don't complain to me that people kick you when you're down. It's your own fault for lying there
chikara

Native language: English (Australian)

Postby Yudan Taiteki » Wed 08.27.2008 10:14 pm

Harisenbon wrote:
Mike Cash wrote:One other small but important item, if I may. By the time you learn enough Japanese to read Naruto, you will have long since outgrown Naruto.

I don't know.. I'm re-reading ranma right now, and I have to admit, it's as funny as the first time I read it 15 something years ago.

But to each his own. ;)

When I had been studying Japanese for ~2 years, one of the first native materials I tried to stumble through was One Piece; 8 years later I'm still reading One Piece, so I guess we don't outgrow everything. :)
-Chris Kern
Yudan Taiteki

Postby myles1260 » Wed 08.27.2008 11:29 pm

^ I'm sorry, Chikara, I guess I didn't read those rules as carefully as I thought. I did apologize though, and again, I had absolutely no intent to insult anyone, nor did i have any idea until now that that could be racist or offensive in any way.

I agree with the others who posted, I don't think I'll outgrow manga or Naruto anytime soon. I know i'm only fourteen, but I've been watching anime for about 11 years now and I've always enjoyed it. I haven't even outgrown Pokemon (Don't even THINK about laughing, it's awesome, lol). When I grew wiser and realized it was better, I started reading manga, maybe some three years ago, or so. I don't think I'll be outgrowing it soon, once again.
myles1260

PreviousNext

Return to Anime and Manga Discussions