Learn Japanese with JapanesePod101.com

View topic - Japanese for Busy People I: Romanized Version

Japanese for Busy People I: Romanized Version

Have a textbook or grammar book that you find particularly helpful? What about a learning tip to share with others?

Japanese for Busy People I: Romanized Version

Postby Cleodboi » Wed 08.27.2008 10:51 am

I'm just starting to learn Japanese and I think it is really important that I have a good number of resources at my disposal. I've been looking at a lot of Japanese textbooks and came across Japanese for Busy People I: Romanized Version. I'm pretty much a complete beginner at Japanese. Does anyone know if this book is suited for a beginner?

Edit: Would Japanese for Young People I: Student Book be better suited for someone my age?
Cleodboi

Native language: English

Re: Japanese for Busy People I: Romanized Version

Postby becki_kanou » Wed 08.27.2008 11:02 am

Cleodboi wrote:I'm just starting to learn Japanese and I think it is really important that I have a good number of resources at my disposal. I've been looking at a lot of Japanese textbooks and came across Japanese for Busy People I: Romanized Version. I'm pretty much a complete beginner at Japanese. Does anyone know if this book is suited for a beginner?

Edit: Would Japanese for Young People I: Student Book be better suited for someone my age?

What's your age?

I know a lot of people here like Genki, and my Japanese study group uses Mina No Nihongo for beginning students, so many of my friends have tried and liked it. Otherwise I'd say search the textbook threads and see what people have to say about each book.
Last edited by becki_kanou on Wed 08.27.2008 11:31 am, edited 1 time in total.
そうだ、嬉しいんだ、生きる喜び!
例え胸の傷が痛んでも。
becki_kanou

Skype chat: yes_becki
Native language: U.S. English, 米語

Postby Yudan Taiteki » Wed 08.27.2008 11:27 am

I would not suggest the romanized version of JBP unless you have strong feelings that learning the writing system right at the beginning will be overwhelming for you. In most cases you will be better off starting with something that either uses Japanese characters entirely, or introduces them very soon near the start of the book.

As becki asked, it would help to know your age to know what to suggest.
-Chris Kern
Yudan Taiteki

Postby Cleodboi » Wed 08.27.2008 12:11 pm

I'm starting to study Hiragana daily and I'm 14 almost 15.
Cleodboi

Postby kyubisharingan » Wed 08.27.2008 5:06 pm

For me personally, JBP is crap. Try GENKI or Japanese for everyone which are probably the most highly recommended book for learning japanese. With JBP, its mostly better in a classroom setting
kyubisharingan

Postby chikara » Wed 08.27.2008 8:33 pm

Cleodboi wrote:..... I've been looking at a lot of Japanese textbooks and came across Japanese for Busy People I: Romanized Version. I'm pretty much a complete beginner at Japanese. Does anyone know if this book is suited for a beginner? ....

I used the Japanese for Busy People series in my Japanese course but I used the kana versions. This book is suitable for a complete beginner which is what I effectively was when I started using it. I would however recommend that you use the kana version in preference to the Romanised version but others on here have different views.
Last edited by chikara on Wed 08.27.2008 8:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Don't complain to me that people kick you when you're down. It's your own fault for lying there
chikara

Native language: English (Australian)

Postby chikara » Wed 08.27.2008 8:36 pm

kyubisharingan wrote:For me personally, JBP is crap.....

So you have used it?
Don't complain to me that people kick you when you're down. It's your own fault for lying there
chikara

Native language: English (Australian)

Postby ニッキー » Thu 08.28.2008 6:09 am

I used the kana version years ago... I didn't like it, it's hard to describe really but it felt too orientated towards older people or business people when I'm neither of those, it didn't include any kanji and it always felt like one big endless piece of text. It could be different by now of course, but I'm going to get Genki soon instead because after looking at a few different textbooks, Genki seems like it will suit me much better. I wouldn't say Japanese for Busy People is a bad textbook though, it seems to include more or less the same stuff as Genki, people just have different preferences and ways of learning.
ニッキー

Native language: British English

Postby kyubisharingan » Sat 08.30.2008 11:54 am

chikara wrote:
kyubisharingan wrote:For me personally, JBP is crap.....

So you have used it?

yes, that why i said for me, its was crap.
kyubisharingan

Return to Learning Materials Reviews & Language Learning tips